Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Waterproof Backpack for use on Motorbike

• 10-07-2010 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭

I'm looking for a waterproof backpack to carry my camera and lenses on a motorbike. I don't mind a bit of water but the camera certainly does.

I've a Canon 450d with 18-55mm, 70-300mm and 50mm lenses, I'd also like to be able to carry a 15.4" laptop. If it was hand baggage compliant that would be a big bonus.

I've been looking around the net and found a few that I'm interested in. I'd like your opinions or better options.

Lowepro Pro Runner 350AW

Lowepro CompuTrekker Plus AW

Lowepro Vertex 200AW

Kata GDC R-103

I'd like to get my hands on a bag to check it out before buying, which shop or shops around Dublin has the best selection of bags?

Thanks
    Del

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I have a couple lowepro bags and while they're great for a bit of rain, they work only as well as the average windbreaker. If you were motorcycling in a windbreaker you'd be soaked to the bone in no time, as you know yourself.

Would you be able to secure a pelican case to your motorcycle in some way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

I've a storm case that is surplus to requirements if you are interested.
    Different model but for all intents and purposes the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5uTxsIqFdc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Xiney wrote: »
    I have a couple lowepro bags and while they're great for a bit of rain, they work only as well as the average windbreaker. If you were motorcycling in a windbreaker you'd be soaked to the bone in no time, as you know yourself.

Would you be able to secure a pelican case to your motorcycle in some way?
    joepenguin wrote: »
    I've a storm case that is surplus to requirements if you are interested.
    Different model but for all intents and purposes the same: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5uTxsIqFdc

Thanks, but there's no way to secure anything like that to the bike.

While the bag will be exposed to the elements it will be on my back so should be out of the worst of the rain when moving and when stopped it will only be exposed to normal weather. The 1st couple of times I'd use them I would wrap everything in plastic bags to be safe. I know that the covers aren't the best but they are better then nothing.

bedlam wrote: »
    The Lowepro Dryzone range are fully waterproof unlike their AW bags, they come at a price though. Having said that I'd have thought though that the AW unless it was a major downpour should be enough while on the bike, perhaps add a second rain cover.

The Dryzones look good.

I was thinking of a rain cover but wasn't sure if they could be made to fit snugly enough to with stay on at speed, which is why I was looking at the AW types as I thought they would be a perfect fit so should stay on, but the one linked looks secure. This may be the best option for price and size.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭EyeCake

I have a LowePro Mini Trekker AW which has a clever fold out elasticated cover which should keep the rain off except for seepage from your jacket
    Its a very comfortable bag with lots of room even though it says mini

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Mini-Trekker-AW,1965,14.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

i have three different bags but none are really suitable for a motorcycle, the dryzone would be the one - bit expensive tho.

i had the same problem so i got two side panniers for my bike - everything is bone dry inside them!!

650-GS.jpg

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

A Kriega backpack 35 litre size, is what i use, never a bother with rain.

How long would they be on your back? Ive a compact bag that has a water resistant sheet that you can put over it. Wouldnt be waterproof as such but would do the job for moderate journeys id imagine. Whatever you get make sure you account for your longest journey and if you would be 100% happy with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

I'd recommend a top box rather than a waterproof backpack if you can get one. More from a safety point of view than anything else. You want to be able to roll if you fall off, and a camera backpack might prevent you from doing this. Why not drop into a bike shop and see if your current backpack fits in a Givi box...

joepenguin wrote: »
    How long would they be on your back? Ive a compact bag that has a water resistant sheet that you can put over it. Wouldnt be waterproof as such but would do the job for moderate journeys id imagine. Whatever you get make sure you account for your longest journey and if you would be 100% happy with it.

I've only recently got the bike, I'm planning on doing some touring around Ireland on it.
    hmboards wrote: »
    I'd recommend a top box rather than a waterproof backpack if you can get one. More from a safety point of view than anything else. You want to be able to roll if you fall off, and a camera backpack might prevent you from doing this. Why not drop into a bike shop and see if your current backpack fits in a Givi box...

I know it's not ideal to wear a backpack on a bike but the bike isn't suitable for a top box. It has a tail tidy on it and I'd have to start cutting plastic panels to fit one on it.

• Advertisement

Fionn wrote: »
    i have three different bags but none are really suitable for a motorcycle, the dryzone would be the one - bit expensive tho.

i had the same problem so i got two side panniers for my bike - everything is bone dry inside them!!

650-GS.jpg

:)

I knew I should have got a GS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

What bike do you have? There are some top box mounts that fit bikes even with tail tidies.

+1 on the Lowe Pro Mini Trekker AW. Will easily fit all you lenses, not sure about the laptop. Hand luggage compliant though. Maybe the computrekker would fit the laptop?

Wouldn't like to be hawking it around for any length of time on a bike though. Maybe just bring one lens and get a padded waterproof tank bag. If I want to bring an SLR I put it in the topbox. Though most of the time I just bring a point and shoot in my jacket's waterproof pocket.

Del2005 wrote: »
    I've only recently got the bike, I'm planning on doing some touring around Ireland on it.

Cool, I was bringing my camera to a match the other night and threw it in a small centon bag i have as the weather was grand. On the way home it was raining and the bag just isnt up to scratch for even light rain as its not 100% sealed. Ended up putting it into a tesco bag!!! Anyway for me worst case scenario is a 20 min walk in the rain so anymore ill bring my lowepro (compact aw i think its called) Id imagine youd need something alot better but the outer sheet thing is a very nice extra. Best of luck with whatever you get.
    Perhaps get a good solid lowepro bag and wrap that up in a waterproof covering if the bag suitable was very expensive?

davmigil wrote: »
    What bike do you have? There are some top box mounts that fit bikes even with tail tidies.

It's a Kawasaki Z750. Don't think a top box will look go on it.

4786358824_f884ed5e0a_m.jpg
    +1 on the Lowe Pro Mini Trekker AW. Will easily fit all you lenses, not sure about the laptop. Hand luggage compliant though. Maybe the computrekker would fit the laptop?

Wouldn't like to be hawking it around for any length of time on a bike though. Maybe just bring one lens and get a padded waterproof tank bag. If I want to bring an SLR I put it in the topbox. Though most of the time I just bring a point and shoot in my jacket's waterproof pocket.

Yeah I think I'll go with a Loweprow AW or Kata 3N1 and get a separate rain cover.

Was just hoping to get away with just one bag for the camera and laptop for use when travelling, but I think I may have to get a different bag if I'm going somewhere that I need to bring the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

You would be amazed. I have a Krauser top box set up on my bike (Honda VFR 800 vtec). It attaches onto the bolt that holds the exhausts and the pillion footpegs. They do mounting kits for most bikes, see if you can download the .pdf installation instructions and see if the mount points will suit with your tail tidy. Have a look at www.louis.de for other makes.
    Else check on a Kawasaki Z750 forum, I bet somebody will have figured out a way.

Advertisement