Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

very bad with money cannot save

Options
  • 10-07-2010 12:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Im 32 and in a decent job earning 42k a year and I dont have a penny to my name, I live from pay check to pay check spending my money frivolously and I just cant get out of the habbit, its because of this I dont have a car, cant ever go on holidays etc and the only out goings I have are

Loan 340 a month
    rent 280 a month

Can someone offer some advice other than I need a good kick up the hole?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭number10a

Possibly a standing order to a credit union or a savings account with another bank. That way, you can't just go online and transfer the money into your current account and spend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Best advice I can give is to see if you can have any bills paid or savings DD set up by your employer through salary deduction. That way, you soon adapt to your new lower net salary that goes in on payday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

Keep a diary of everything you spend and review it on a regular basis. You'll be surprised at how much money you waste. From this, you will see where you can make savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

I second getting a standing order/DD on your regular account.

My OH had a great account where it would take half his wages a month. He had no card or real access to that account other than going into the branch and going through all the withdrawal hassle. Saved so much impulse buying and eliminates a lot of the will power element to saving.

He just pretended it wasn't there. But if he REALLY needed it he could get at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭Mort5000

Setup a pension / PRSA.
    It'll come out of your gross salary (tax efficient) and you can't touch the money.

• Advertisement
Advertisement