Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hidden wicklow gems

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,518 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

pirelli wrote: »
    Powerscourt waterfall[/U][/B] A short 5 min drive or a pleasant 45 min walk from Avoca Handweavers in Kilmacanouge on the N11

Powerscourt_HPIM1262.jpg

you have to pay to get in here though, FYI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

you have to pay to get in here though, FYI

It's hidden Gems not Gems bargin deals. Just to be difficult you can walk around it for free. That photo was likely taken from Deuce Wood which is very nearby and FREE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

It's hidden Gems not Gems bargin deals. Just to be difficult you can walk around it for free. That photo was likely taken from Deuce Wood which is very nearby and FREE.

Actually, there is no apparent restriction on passing between Djouce Woods and the waterfall valley (at least when I was down there a few months ago)

true, scouts also get in for free :P
    and or course from Crone Woods you can come across the top of it and gives you a better view :)

there used to be a great restaurant here, accessable from the N11. I think it is gone now though, something to do with bad access road from the N11 or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

there used to be a great restaurant here, accessable from the N11. I think it is gone now though, something to do with bad access road from the N11 or something
    Marc Michel?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,029 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

visited Greenan Farm & Maze yesterday - great outing on a beautiful sunny day

there's a hedge maze, which the kids loved; an open farm & museum; and a nature walk through woods and marshland, all in a beautiful location. Also you can bring a picnic and there's a decent (and reasonably priced) coffee shop.

Was also at Silver Strand beach a couple weeks back (referenced earlier in this thread) - you have to pay to park & access it (€8, though you have to pay to park at Brittas also afaik) - its only a small beach but very sheltered due to the surrounding cliffs. Again the kids loved it, but they also love going to Greystones beach, for all its faults.

Johnnymcg wrote: »
    Marc Michel?

No idea was only there once, my mother was there a few times, she told me they had to close. It was an organic restaurant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Just found this excellent blog

http://wicklowdailyphoto.blogspot.com/

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 DRDJM

We love Powerscourt waterfall but it is so expensive if you take a car - I had to pay €22 last time. I asked the guy at the gate if they couldn't have a €10 per car tariff as we'd come more often and he said 'some of those eastern europeans can get up to 10 people in their cars!' racist and horrible! the waterfall and playground are fab but their cafe seriously needs a makeover.

We also love Mount Usher, Kilruddery House (spectacular especially the fairy tale picnic in the summer - the kids love it), Kilquade gardens are nice too.

Glenroe is a good day out for the kids but again quite expensive if you have more than one little one or want to bring the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Possum66

We love Powerscourt waterfall but it is so expensive if you take a car - I had to pay €22 last time. I asked the guy at the gate if they couldn't have a €10 per car tariff as we'd come more often and he said 'some of those eastern europeans can get up to 10 people in their cars!' racist and horrible! the waterfall and playground are fab but their cafe seriously needs a makeover.

Nice remark... it is an expensive place, full stop. But it is fabulous, my guests are always amazed by the waterfall. And I never squeeze more than 4 into my car, haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

There is a nice walk along the Dargle River near Enniskerry; a loop of a few Km, maybe 40 mins or so. Its a an old path cut out along a gorge especially for some visiting British royalty to view in the 19th Century. Not for small kids because of the cliffs. Parking is awkward, try to fit in along the road somewhere near the entrance. Follow red arrows on the incline at the NE end to avoid straying onto private property.
    Access from a metal gate here;
    www.loc8.ie/NL0-69-W13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭bdo

Marc Michel's farm shop (where that restaurant used be) is very much worth visiting, if you are into organic food grown here in Bray (Kilpeddar really).

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Does anyone know if we could bring our doggie down to Mount usher ( complete with lead and doggie poo poo bag :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Merrilady wrote: »
    Does anyone know if we could bring our doggie down to Mount usher ( complete with lead and doggie poo poo bag :D )

Phone number and much more besides here: http://www.mountushergardens.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 shed12

Hunter's Hotel is a fantastic place. Not a modern hotel by any means but has that old world charm that we love. Would recommend it highly.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭connel42

http://www.poulaphuca.com/
    This is a great site steeped in history.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭M O N T O

Hey guys,

I'm 19 and have lived in Wicklow Town for most of my life.
    I've found quite a lot of beautiful spots in and around the town, nice secluded places that you could sit down and relax for hours.

I was just wondering if anyone could share their places that they might have stumbled upon? I know of all the usual places like Glendalough but I was looking more for places that aren't really known by tourists and more by locals.

thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

M O N T O wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I'm 19 and have lived in Wicklow Town for most of my life.
    I've found quite a lot of beautiful spots in and around the town, nice secluded places that you could sit down and relax for hours.

I was just wondering if anyone could share their places that they might have stumbled upon? I know of all the usual places like Glendalough but I was looking more for places that aren't really known by tourists and more by locals.

thanks!

An earlier thread here may be useful: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66845801

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Loving this thread had a fab day in Glencree and a lovely lunch in the armoury cafe. Was chatting with some of the locals who said the retreat centre had been closed for the past eight months any body got any idea it's closed?

Advertisement