Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway rain

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

fell for his Leprechaun-ish charm and the sparkle in his eye...to be sure, to be sure.
    :p

oh, wait, we might get the sun that was over in Inverin 45 minutes ago...I can see blue skies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

BREAKING NEWS:

It is raining in Galway :O

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

it was the same last year, when volvo ocean race was in town it was skin burning, when it left it never stop,d raining:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

yeah, those blue skies lasted for about 2 minutes, and have now been replaced with pissin' rain and a bit of a gale again. Great.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭loser2old4board

Promised good tomorrow,
    if that's any help.

So make the best of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

galah wrote: »
    still pissin' in Furbo.
    (while it's 30 degrees heat on the mainland. It's depressing, really. This is the last time I get married to an Irish dude. Seriously.)

Blimey you're brave using a word like "mainland" in Furbo ;)

Btw Tues, Wed & Thurs look rather wet for Galway

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Galway/Galway/detailed_long.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

cats.life wrote: »
    people in galway who prayed for wet stuff to fall from sky (rain) i hope ye all are very happy looking out at it:mad::mad:. looks like its going to be like this for the week.

We have had the fairest of weather for the first six months of the year, and you're complaining about a couple of heavy downpours over the course of a few days:confused:

Agree.. This has been a great year. Only got wet twice goin to or from work up until the last week.
    Been sittin outside in the sun after work a load of times this year.

We have had the fairest of weather for the first six months of the year, and you're complaining about a couple of heavy downpours over the course of a few days:confused:
    dont know where your living but it cant be galway,why are you confused? cant stand the rain we were flooded last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

dont know where your living but it cant be galway,why are you confused? cant stand the rain we were flooded last year.

To be fair it barely rained for the first 6 months of the year. It was cold for most of it, but at least it was dry.

• Advertisement

I'am living in Galway, why otherwise would I comment on a weather related thread in the Galway forum?

Anyway I think even without sourcing weather recorded data, it is fair to say that the first six months of this year, to date, have be as good weather wise as Galway has received in the past decade.
    With this in mind I find it confusing that a series of heavy downpours over the past couple of days has maddened you. Its hardy news worthy.

The weather we receive in Galway is so benign I find it laughable that people complain about it.
    Even the floods of last November, although badly affecting a number of families, could in no way even begin to be described in terms of a natural disaster.
    Ireland doesn't even feature on a list of notable floods.

Having said that I get where you are coming from, maybe you have kids who have just got their summer holidays.

28_1_19.gif16_6_1v.gif28_1_1.gif28_1_3v.gif36_1_68.gif

You can pretty much tell a person is on Galway when, on a sunny day, they have an umbrella tucked somewhere.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

You can pretty much tell a person is on Galway when, on a sunny day, they have an umbrella tucked somewhere.

yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

You need to look on the bright side..at least when it's p*ssing rain, you don't feel so bad sitting in a pub having a few pints. Nothing worse than a sunny ay to make you think "I really should be outside doing something":D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭schween

I agree. A few weeks ago they were talking of drought and issuing hose pipe bans. Thankfully it didn't get worse.
    The weather we receive in Galway is so benign I find it laughable that people complain about it.
    Even the floods of last November, although badly affecting a number of families, could in no way even begin to be described in terms of a natural disaster.
    Ireland doesn't even feature on a list of notable floods.

That is a list of deadliest floods, not notable floods.
    The floods last year were pretty severe by any measure. To say otherwise is silly.
    Here is a list on Wikipedia of major floods, the 2009 GB & Ireland floods are listed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_floods

Here is the section on the floods.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_2009_Great_Britain_and_Ireland_floods

Look at the map of Ireland. About 2/3 of the island were affected by flooding, many areas quite severely. Remember that TV3 report from a boat at the top of an electricity pole? Imagine if 2/3 of counties in China or the US were affected by flooding. I think it would one of their greatest natural disasters in history.

Just because 5,000 or 2,000,000 didn't die in our floods doesn't mean it wasn't a disaster.

Anyways, I like the rain. Just moved back from a far too hot part of the world, the rain is refreshing. Give me a few weeks.

schween wrote: »

That map is crazy. Never realised the scale of the flooding until you see it displayed like that.

That is a list of deadliest floods, not notable floods.

Point taken.
    I actually had both pages open but linked the wrong one.

The floods last year were pretty severe by any measure. To say otherwise is silly.
    Here is a list on Wikipedia of major floods, the 2009 GB & Ireland floods are listed.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_floods

Here is the section on the floods.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/November_2009_Great_Britain_and_Ireland_floods

Still the entry related to Ireland;

"November 2009 Great Britain and Ireland floods — heavy rain falls on much of the British Isles, but Cumbria worst affected. 2 people killed."

Is definitely not in the same category of severity as the other listed floods.

Look at the map of Ireland. About 2/3 of the island were affected by flooding, many areas quite severely. Remember that TV3 report from a boat at the top of an electricity pole? Imagine if 2/3 of counties in China or the US were affected by flooding. I think it would one of their greatest natural disasters in history.

Just because 5,000 or 2,000,000 didn't die in our floods doesn't mean it wasn't a disaster.

So a disaster with no loss of life should rate along side a disaster with thousands of dead, because there could of been a massive loss of life if we had a larger population, and this increased phantom population were living in a topographical type of land that doesn't exist in Ireland.

The 2009 floods affected some families very badly, as I said. But as far as I know, no loss of life was recorded as a direct result of the flooding.
    This may seem a harsh benchmark, and cold comfort to those people who had their houses flooded, but there are thousands of people worldwide who have been killed by flooding over the past decades.

The topography, weather and geography of Ireland are such that even though we may receive widespread flooding of a relatively low level every decade, we are unlikely to have a great natural disaster in terms of massive loss of life.

well its going to pour tomorrow and wednesday, does anyone have NOAH,s fone number , there is talk of local flooding.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I think that's an Irish feature, not just Galway.

Certainly it's only since I moved to this country that I started carrying one year-around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

Don't worry. Ken Ring said last two weeks of July to be great. And then thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

methinks the last 3 months used up Galway's allotted sun for the next 3 decades

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Rain and thunder, good stuff (when you're indoors).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Went back 3 pages trying to find this thread :) Just got a bit of thunder/lightning there fun stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Baba-ba-ba-ba-Im lovin it.

I love heavy rain, thunder and lightning when Im inside with a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Bring it on ! I love a good storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Thats pretty serious rain at the moment alright. There'll be localised flooding around the place if it continues for long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Came out of no were as well, around 12:40 sun was shining, had some dirty clouds but didnt expect this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Where's it lashing at the mo? Thunder above but no rain yet (I'm currently West of City Centre).

Advertisement