Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway rain

Options
13»

Comments

It's bucketing down in Mervue

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Showers here now :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Columc

Sun is shining out in mervue again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

On that topic, is it just me, or are the roads absolutely lethal when it rains around here? More so than anywhere else? (and, why, knowing that it rains a LOT in the West, do the road construction people not think about that and plan ahead with proper road surfaces made for that kind of weather?)

The Tuam road outbound scared me witless yesterday (cause the road slopes a bit, with a raised part slightly off center), and most of the other roads are just as bad...

And, on that topic, how come some people think that it is absolutely grand to be going above the speed limit in pissing rain on said lethal roads, and then get irritated when I refuse to sacrifice my life in my tiny car just because some numbnut can actually get home to his dinner 2 minutes sooner (or some other 'urgent' reason' like that)?

Maybe I'm just getting old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mrpig

galah wrote: »
    On that topic, is it just me, or are the roads absolutely lethal when it rains around here? More so than anywhere else? (and, why, knowing that it rains a LOT in the West, do the road construction people not think about that and plan ahead with proper road surfaces made for that kind of weather?)

The Tuam road outbound scared me witless yesterday (cause the road slopes a bit, with a raised part slightly off center), and most of the other roads are just as bad...

And, on that topic, how come some people think that it is absolutely grand to be going above the speed limit in pissing rain on said lethal roads, and then get irritated when I refuse to sacrifice my life in my tiny car just because some numbnut can actually get home to his dinner 2 minutes sooner (or some other 'urgent' reason' like that)?

Maybe I'm just getting old...

Old and/or incompetent imo. Being 'scared' is not an acceptable state of mind while driving. Roads are slippery when its rains after a lengthy dry spell. You should be aware of this. If you find that roads are slippy all the time then I suggest you look at your tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

cheers for that. Have new tyres, so can't be it.

I am aware of it, I am just wondering if other people are too, and go speeding regardless, or if I am getting more worried the older I get...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

mrpig wrote: »
    Old and/or incompetent imo. Being 'scared' is not an acceptable state of mind while driving. Roads are slippery when its rains after a lengthy dry spell. You should be aware of this. If you find that roads are slippy all the time then I suggest you look at your tyres.

Being cautious is something I would rather see more of on the roads than "perceived" competence.
    The "competency" of driving in wet conditions is neither on the Irish driving test nor is taught by any standard driving instructor so unless you've taken extra lessons or have extensive test experience in these conditions I doubt anyone can claim "competency".

• Registered Users Posts: 18,588 ✭✭✭✭kippy

galah wrote: »
    cheers for that. Have new tyres, so can't be it.

I am aware of it, I am just wondering if other people are too, and go speeding regardless, or if I am getting more worried the older I get...

Theres definitely a LOT of people on the road who dont actualy realise a change in road conditions usualy means a change in driving style, but see previous post for reasons why. Usually its only when you have a near miss in those conditions or worse you have an accident - that you "learn".

Advertisement