Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

swap a carbon for an aluminium

• 10-07-2010 1:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

just wondering what your thoughts are of this..

im thinking of changing my orbea onix carbon roadbike with full sram rival groupset for this..
    http://www.canyon.com/_en/roadbikes/bike.html?b=1819

why? to be honest i always liked the look of the canyon and was debating it at the time of the purchase and having a canyon mtb i know they are a great bike. what do you think though,? to swap a carbon for a alu bike is crazy or sram for ultegra??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

I can't answer your question, but I'm about to buy an Onix, what are your thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

I can't answer your question, but I'm about to buy an Onix, what are your thoughts?

i have a 2008 model onix black and orange which i bought in 2009 at a discount. i think the older models are much nicer looking but thats a personal taste. I got mine for 1200 which was a great price with decent wheels but i think the new ones are a good bit more. I think the bike is very good, a very nice ride, a little bit of flex in the rear but a very decent bike, where you cant go too far wrong. i think it depends a lot on the group,wheels and price you are paying for it to determine its value.. im really only selling mine as i bought it from a catalogue and amnt overly impressed with the paint job so its purely a superficial thing plus im a fan of canyon bikes. heres some photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

Might be worth looking at the carbon framesets Canyon are selling off for €849 & maybe switching the components from your current bike onto it!

http://www.canyon.com/_en/outlet/article.html?o=A1010020

Lovely bikes by the way. I was going to buy a Roadlite 7.0 recently also but the bloody waiting list was to long for my liking!

not a bad idea that to be honest. what about the swap from a carbon frame back to an aul aluminium one. a step in the wrong direction?

anyone any feedback on this please? is it a bad idea to take a step down from carbon to a lesser aluminium, Plus am i asked too little 850 for a good as new carbon orbea onix with sram rival groupset?

much appreciated.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It depends on what you want to use the frame for. Modern lightweight aluminium could be good if you are racing but probably not otherwise. You will never feel the frame material on a mountain bike or anything with wide tyres but on 700x23c in general carbon frames may be more comfortable. Again though you would have to test-ride to see what the story was.

I personally would stick with what you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

That's a lovely looking Orbea. If you only want to upgrade for aesthetic reasons (assuming both bikes are reasonably similar) and you have the cash then why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭goldencleric

Is the orbea for sale?

Advertisement