Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Eagleton Friday the 10th July 2010

Options
  • 10-07-2010 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hello, can you help me, listening to John Eagleton weather forecast last night he was saying that the same system that was in place for last summer's weather has now arrived, i.e we are looking at 50 days + of rain. Is he correct. Thank you in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

North Cork wrote: »
    Hello, can you help me, listening to John Eagleton weather forecast last night he was saying that the same system that was in place for last summer's weather has now arrived, i.e we are looking at 50 days + of rain. Is he correct. Thank you in advance

Once we get into a situation where Low pressure is dominant in the Atlantic it's a very difficult pattern to break. A big area of Low pressure in the Atlantic brings what are known as shortwaves or spin off depressions from the Southwest toward Ireland. These can bring very heavy rain one after the other. Because Ireland is beside the Atlantic we get hit. But ahead of these depressions very warm air is pumped up from the South. Hence hot weather in England and heavy rain here. That does not mean we won't have dry settled weather for the rest of the summer though. No two situations are ever the same. No one knows if or when the pattern will break.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

His Six-One forecast of yesterday (the 10th) can be watched here.

He's just a drama queen at heart really!! :pac:.

One thing I will say about John Eagleton's forecasts are that they are engaging and interesting. He is up there with the greats of Irish meteorologists imo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40 ORACLE2

The Eagle went on with much the same tone on the six-one forecast this evening as he did on yesterdays transmission but did say at the end that there was a tentative sign that the weather might improve after next Thursday but wouldn`t elaborate anymore on this,lets hope he is not dreaming this up.

His Six-One forecast of yesterday (the 10th) can be watched here.

He's just a drama queen at heart really!! :pac:.

One thing I will say about John Eagleton's forecasts are that they are engaging and interesting. He is up there with the greats of Irish meteorologists imo. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

think the op got his/her day wrong.

anyways he said tonight saturday 10th after 9 news that next weekend 17/18 july will also be very wet - it is july after all - we don't know any better at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

who_ru wrote: »
    think the op got his/her day wrong.

Who are you, who_ru? Pedantic Pat? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

I feel that he is a spoofer. These guys cant accuarately forecast snow 3-4 hours out, yet he seems to be able to forecast rain from now till the end of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

looks not too bad on most forecasts apart from tuesday and weds after that looks bit better?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i'm amazed he forecasted rain till the end of September as normally he does not go beyond seven days;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

GSF wrote: »
    I feel that he is a spoofer. These guys cant accuarately forecast snow 3-4 hours out, yet he seems to be able to forecast rain from now till the end of September.

I dunno, he has that personal touch imo :o. It is obvious he is interested in his field when he does a forecast and if things do go wrong he usually explains why. He is like the male version of Evelyn Cusack in that he tries to make the weather at least sound interesting when very often it isn't!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

predicting rain is a lot easier in this country than predicting snow. it can snow in naas but rain in newbridge on the same day for example.

He was referring to the patterns of previous summers which is what we are experiencing now. the atlantic set up we are in now is hard to shake off.

meteorology is as much based on past experience than it is on forecasting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭2manyconditions

. He is like the male version of Evelyn Cusack in that he tries to make the weather at least sound interesting when very often it isn't!!

I don't think Evelyn Cusack is great actually. She has gotton better in recent times but John is my fav. He really looks like he's havin great craic when hes reading - its very infectious.

I usta like winking Gerry too never see him now tho'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Weather is not entertainment (really!) and idle speculation about weather events/trends weeks down the line is not professional.

No I haven't seen the forcast :p

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭lucy2010

well he said something tonight about it maybe not the bad return of the last few summers - but i never caught it as the kids started squabbling.. anyone wish to enlighten me ?? 50 days of heatwave yep ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GSF

Is Groundhog John not seeing his shadow today then? :D On Friday night he was ready to throw the towel in, but since then he seems to be rowing back a bit. Maybe he was just depressed on Friday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

He was the most interesting of the forecasters in January, especially when he said the magic words ''polar low''!!!!

That said, Jean Byrnes tin foil dres was quite . . .eye catching!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Is Groundhog John not seeing his shadow today then? :D On Friday night he was ready to throw the towel in, but since then he seems to be rowing back a bit. Maybe he was just depressed on Friday?

He was depressed last night as well, but he was more positive today, I wonder if he was thinking....'I'm going to be blamed for the weather again, I just forecast it, not make it'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Min wrote: »
    He was depressed last night as well, but he was more positive today, I wonder if he was thinking....'I'm going to be blamed for the weather again, I just forecast it, not make it'.

Dont be ridiculous, everyone knows that he makes the weather!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Dont be ridiculous, everyone knows that he makes the weather!!!

I guess he cried last November......

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

i'm amazed he forecasted rain till the end of September as normally he does not go beyond seven days;)
    I think he said that the pattern reminded him of last summer, not that it would rain until September.

It's verysimilar alright. High pressure to the sight shoving all the weather systems up over us.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,846 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

octo wrote: »
    I think he said that the pattern reminded him of last summer, not that it would rain until September.

It's verysimilar alright. High pressure to the sight shoving all the weather systems up over us.

I figured he wasn't saying that. I was responding to what GSF said in his post that the eagle was implying it would rain till September. He'd never leave himself open like that.
    As you say it does seem like we are back to the normal routine with the high in over france. I was hoping the Atlantic would stay quiet right through till next spring. still at least we should get storms this winter if, as looks likely now from some long-range forecasts, the Atlantic is dominating our weather this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

so what are his views now any hope of an improvement EVER!!!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Well, the New Zealand guy was on Drivetime this evening. Said first week and last week of August would be fine, but not hot. There will be 10 wet days in the middle weeks of August:eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I can see it raining everyday somewhere in Ireland between now and the 1st of september. As soon as school/colleges reopen the sun will come out and it will be warm and sunny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

Well, the New Zealand guy was on Drivetime this evening. Said first week and last week of August would be fine, but not hot. There will be 10 wet days in the middle weeks of August:eek:

he doesnt do temperatures :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Timistry

He really seemed to enjoy that. "Enjoy tomorrow" lol. Legend

Advertisement