Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pipe band playing outside house

Options
  • 10-07-2010 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Ok I really need some advice, I live beside a school and the school rent out a hall at the back of the school to a pipe band. Its grand when they practice in the hall but they have taken to practicing at the front of the school which means they are about 20ft from my house and the noise is deafening. I cant open any windows or doors it so loud and even when they are closed it still almost impossible to hear myself think never mind try and watch some tv. I contacted the EPA and put in a noise complaint but they said they couldnt help as it is a school. Can someone please tell me what my next step should be. Iv contacted the school but they wont do anything about it. Its wrecking my head and making my house impossible to live in when they are outside.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,987 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Get yourself a Vuvuzela and make noise with it when every they are practising, it should put them off.

Barring that why not talk to the band master, explain your issue and see if they will move to another area of the school.

If that doesn't work back to the Vuvuzela/Death Metal at full volume out your windows when they are practising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Move out of Belfast for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

stovelid wrote: »
    Move out of Belfast for July.

I dont live in Belfast! I live in Waterford and the band only plays about once a year in the St. Patricks day parade but they practice about 2 or 3 times a week! A load of bagpipes and drummers for a few hours every couple of days! I think they must just have nothing better to do with their time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Creamsoda wrote: »
    I dont live in Belfast! I live in Waterford and the band only plays about once a year in the St. Patricks day parade but they practice about 2 or 3 times a week! A load of bagpipes and drummers for a few hours every couple of days! I think they must just have nothing better to do with their time!

I was only kidding with you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Creamsoda

stovelid wrote: »
    I was only kidding with you. :D

Ah i know yh! I would have put in a few smilies but i can when I'm using my phone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Surely the school is responsible for its tenants? Are any other people affected, that you could all write to the school?

And have you spoken with the band leader?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Just give it a few days, sh!t irish weather should send them back to the hall soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

I would imagine the number of days a year this band can practice outside in Ireland would be approximately, and on average, about 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Deal with it, they are just outside for the summer and they are entitled to practise outside

What if you lived beside a sports stadium , would you be complaining every weekend in the summer?

I'm not saying you don't have an issue, but it's summer, let them practise outside. July is going to be a wet month anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

You live next to a school, surely you've got screaming kids running around during the school year...I would have thought they'd be as loud if not louder then a pipe band.

Why haven't you talked to the band leader? You went to the EPA and the school but didn't think to go straight to the source? They moved outside to enjoy the weather which as others have said isn't likely to last but if they are outside try speaking with them and they might move to a different part of the school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Jon_d

Ah the de le salle scout pipeband..theres nothing really you can do but bare with it..as a piper myself i played in there with the band im in recently for the massed bands..the band is 150 years old so they aint goin to put a stop to the practicing..they cant stay cooked up inside the whole time..they need fresh air also.. maybe the council might put some sound deadening material..like the use in music studios? just a thought?;)

Advertisement