Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Take on the Takeaway - new series Deli Burger first episode

Options
  • 10-07-2010 1:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

just seen this in tv guide that on wednes 8.30pm rte 1, kevin dundon takes on deli burger

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭woysworld

i enjoyed the same series on BBC... it would be nice if irish stations came up wit original programs for a change...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Good spot OP. In fairness they couldn't do a show about takeaways and not come to Balbriggan!

Looks like Franco means business!!
    RT&#201 wrote: »
    Take on the Takeaway

This summer RTÉ One will becomes a battle ground for some of the country's most famous chefs as they pit their culinary skills against the nation's best loved takeaways!

Each week on Take on the Takeaway, a well known chef will visit the home of a member of the public who is a self-professed fan of their local takeaway. The celebrity chef will then be challenged to reproduce the most popular take-out meals in a domestic kitchen.

In a head-to-head race against the clock with the staff of the local takeaway our challenger must cook and serve their dish in the time it takes the takeaway to cook and deliver theirs. Both dishes are then blind tasted by the takeaway fan and each dish is awarded marks out of 10 for taste.

The celebrity chef must also shop for the ingredients for the dish, ensuring the cost remains less than that of the takeaway equivalent.

Assisting in this challenge on cost, speed and taste is Dr. Eva Orsmond, who will be on hand to ensure fair play and to offer advice on how cook healthy meals at home.

Among the familiar faces lined up to Take on the Takeaway are Kevin Dundon, Clodagh McKenna, Paul Rankin and Stephen McAllister. They will be operating outside their comfort zone and will have to dig deep if they are to prevail against the country's favourite Chinese, Indian, Thai and Pizza takeaways!

Louise Conway lives in Balbriggan, Co. Dublin and is a big fan of her local takeaways. She is a regular customer at Deli Burger in Balbriggan and is specially fond of their fresh cod and chips.

Francesco Macari is the main man behind Deli Burger and is very proud of his product. He's been cooking up a storm and delivering for the locals for as long as he can remember and is determined that he will not be beaten by any chef.

"No-one is going to come to my town and beat me!", says Macari, as he throws down the gauntlet to this week's challenger, Kevin Dundon.

Kevin Dundon has been at the helm of Dunbrody Country House Hotel since 1997. He is also executive chef for two restaurants in the USA , one of whose most popular dish is... Fish & Chips!

"My operation in the States serves hundreds of happy diners with their favourite fish and chips", says Dundon. " My aim is to prove that I'm more than a match for Balbriggan's best. Look out, Francesco, I'm coming for you!".

The scene is set for the great Fish 'n' Chip Challenge. Can Kevin Dundon dare to win as he has the culinary courage to Take on the Takeaway?

00037645-360.jpg

Link

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I have to say having tasted many a 1&1 from the Deli Burger and also Kevin's fish and chips in the US this could be a tight race!

I've got it set to record. ;-)

Well what did people think? Franco likes to talk anyway and it was a bit let's say cringe worthy at times.

If you missed it you can watch it here

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1076809

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

woysworld wrote: »
    i enjoyed the same series on BBC... it would be nice if irish stations came up wit original programs for a change...

It IS an Irish production. Vision Independent Productions devised the concept & shopped it to RTE three years ago, they declined. The format was then sold to German, Italian, UK & Japanese where it became successful.

Now RTE are doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭NorthDub

Well what did people think? Franco likes to talk anyway and it was a bit let's say cringe worthy at times.

If you missed it you can watch it here

http://www.rte.ie/player/#v=1076809

It was a little, I really wanted Franco to win though, Kevin Dundon was too cocky

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Thought it was a bit of a fix to be honest. Just wondering why the driver went down Dublin Street to get to Legoland when his van was initially facing up Clonard Street. Surely that would have saved him at least 5 minutes?

Also thought that dietitian wan was rather patronising at times.

pithater1 wrote: »
    Thought it was a bit of a fix to be honest. Just wondering why the driver went down Dublin Street to get to Legoland when his van was initially facing up Clonard Street. Surely that would have saved him at least 5 minutes?

That wasn't Legoland. It was up at Castlelands near Balrothery.

Oh right you are. I actually forgot there were apartments down that way. Whenever I hear of apartments in Balbriggan I automatically assume that they're in Legoland.

Oh right you are. I actually forgot there were apartments down that way. Whenever I hear of apartments in Balbriggan I automatically assume that they're in Legoland.

Yeah me too! :) Had to do a bit of Googling to confirm it wasn't Legoland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

yeah but it still makes no sense to turn the car around on clonard street and go through the town - he could have continued on up clonard st in the direction he was facing, turned left at the top and then followed the road around to the stephenstown roundabout - he would have been facing directly towards castlelands then, just through the round about. much quicker than through the town and possible traffic lights. not one traffic light the other way.

yeah but it still makes no sense to turn the car around on clonard street and go through the town - he could have continued on up clonard st in the direction he was facing, turned left at the top and then followed the road around to the stephenstown roundabout - he would have been facing directly towards castlelands then, just through the round about. much quicker than through the town and possible traffic lights. not one traffic light the other way.

Yeah you're right there.

Also why did he load the meal into the back of the van? Having it beside himself in the front of the van would have saved him some vital seconds as would have pointing the van parked towards Deli Burger as opposed to up Clonard Street if h was driving through the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

yep, but wasnt it the taste test that was a deciding factor?

cathy01 wrote: »
    yep, but wasnt it the taste test that was a deciding factor?

It was 50/50 Cathy. Half the marks went for first dish to the finish line and half the marks for the taste test.

Advertisement