Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Silage fermentors

• 10-07-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Folks

I'm looking for some feedback from anyone that has used products to improve silage fermentation e.g. molasses, acids etc.

I've spread lime on ground intended for 2nd cut not knowing it has such a negative effect on the silage. The problem is it affects the pH of the silage thus inhibiting proper fermentation resulting in brown/ black silage of poor feeding quality.

Plenty rain now and leaving the cut as late as possible (1st cut was only taken 2wks ago) will help give the lime time to get into the soil. I need the silage so reluctant to graze it.

So the question is, is there something I can use when the grass is knocked prior to baling it? Any advise welcome;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I'm guessing the reason that It doesnt ferment well is because lime is an alkiline and silage is persurved because its acidic. (basically its pickled)
    so adding acid might help. problem is a lot of contractors dont like using acid on their machines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Had a similar problem a few years ago, got caught with weather, silage was down about 5 days, had a fear that it would turn out black and mouldy. Put mollases on it - it was a simple 2 man operation :) . Put a barrel of mollases onto the transport box, put a tap and hose onto the barrel. Drove over every row of grass ahead of the baler and let a dribble of mollasses onto each row. Used the bales first that winter, out of fear of rot, and the cattle loved them.

If you can give your grass that you spread the lime onto a good wilting before baling and make sure that it is baled very dry, then there will be less fermenting in the bale (have it almost 90% in hay and wrap it) and less waste.

Other option is to put it into hay....... weather permitting

Advertisement