Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Community Spirit (or lack thereof)

Options
  • 10-07-2010 2:03pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭

I was home last weekend for the Sligo Vs Galway match, thoroughly enjoyed it, but was disappointed to see the lack of support for the team.

There were the usual hoardings on the dual carriageway which is grand, seeing as we're in a recession I think there's nothing wrong with companies showing their support for the team and advertising at the same time. There were also some flags here and there, and the one thing that always makes me smile- the mannequin in Ballinacarrow. Some of the businesses in town have a few bits out but nothing like I was expecting.

This isn't just about GAA, where is the support for Sligo Rovers? If Sligo is supposedly a "soccer" town, you'd never know if you were a stranger driving through.

I live in Limerick now and I love the drive in from the North of the city: when Munster rugby are playing there's red flags on the lamp-post on each of the three bridges, when it's GAA the green and white are out and so on. Hardly a costly gesture but effective none the less. I travel the country with work and I see even in smaller county towns the effort that is made to support their local sportspeople.

Why aren't the local sports clubs out decking their areas in their colours? Why do Clifford Electrical only have three miserable flags on their lamp-posts?

If there has been an outpouring of support since last weekend then I stand corrected but I'd just be interested to know if anyone shares my feelings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I agree.

Sligo doesn't "do" pride.

Too cool for that carry-on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 crowdflash

Oh, I don't know. I'm sure the Sligo community will be right behind Shane Filan's property development plans for a nursing home (Tweet your online community support to http://twitter.com/FilanFamily).

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/westlife-nursing-home-to-go-ahead-2252135.html

WOuldn't be anything to do with tax breaks would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

crowdflash wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know. I'm sure the Sligo community will be right behind Shane Filan's property development plans for a nursing home (Tweet your online community support to http://twitter.com/FilanFamily).

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/westlife-nursing-home-to-go-ahead-2252135.html

WOuldn't be anything to do with tax breaks would it?

Wha? :confused:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Crowdflash- that is completely out of context with my original post. Stop trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Vintagekits

I was home last weekend for the Sligo Vs Galway match, thoroughly enjoyed it, but was disappointed to see the lack of support for the team.

There were the usual hoardings on the dual carriageway which is grand, seeing as we're in a recession I think there's nothing wrong with companies showing their support for the team and advertising at the same time. There were also some flags here and there, and the one thing that always makes me smile- the mannequin in Ballinacarrow. Some of the businesses in town have a few bits out but nothing like I was expecting.

This isn't just about GAA, where is the support for Sligo Rovers? If Sligo is supposedly a "soccer" town, you'd never know if you were a stranger driving through.

I live in Limerick now and I love the drive in from the North of the city: when Munster rugby are playing there's red flags on the lamp-post on each of the three bridges, when it's GAA the green and white are out and so on. Hardly a costly gesture but effective none the less. I travel the country with work and I see even in smaller county towns the effort that is made to support their local sportspeople.

Why aren't the local sports clubs out decking their areas in their colours? Why do Clifford Electrical only have three miserable flags on their lamp-posts?

If there has been an outpouring of support since last weekend then I stand corrected but I'd just be interested to know if anyone shares my feelings?

Actually I am many from Munster find the support of Munster overwhelming and parocial.

Many in Sligo dont support the Sligo GAA team because they dont feel welcome there - simples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭gino85

im not a supporter of the gaa but i wanted to go and support the team but alas i was in bed asleep, all i can do is wish them the best of luck in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

You're confusing community spirit with support for a sports team

Not quite- in the case of the GAA team's recent purple patch, these lads are our families, neighbours, work colleagues, friends.. fellow community members! What's wrong with wishing them well? It wouldn't matter to me what venture- sporting or otherwise- a fellow Sligonian were doing well in, if I felt they deserved my support I'd gladly give it. From an individual's point of view, it's not hard to hand an oul' flag up to show your support for your community member. As I mentioned previously, it's a ripe opportunity for businesses and as for the County Board/SRFC/etc.. a few flags or bunting would hardly break the bank even in these cash-strapped times? (Although this may seem frivolous and "feeble" to others with their barbed, thinly-veiled comments in other posts :rolleyes:)

Vintagekits- The point you made about feeling unwelcome at GAA matches? As a sportsfan I'm disheartened to hear that you feel that way but I do realise alright that there is an element of Parochialism (is that a word? I dunno.. it is now!) to GAA. Still, you can watch and cheer from your sitting room! I'm not berating people for not going to Markievicz Park/Showgrounds/wherever.

It's only a bit of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm not from Sligo, I'm not even from Ireland, and I've never felt unwelcome at a GAA match, and I've been to several.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Wester

You're confusing community spirit with support for a sports team

I'd have to agree with this to a certain extent. There's also a factor that tends to be overlooked and it's this: how dedicated are Irish people to sport, as spectators? It's really only in the latter stages of the hurling and football championships that you see the big crowds; League of Ireland Football is very poorly supported; and leave the Six Nations and other rugby competitions out of it and you'd wonder how big a dedicated fanbase rugby really has. The media love to big up how sporting a nation Ireland is and participation wise, it probably is. The dedication of amatuer players to the GAA never ceases to amaze me. But I've rarely got the feeling of absolute devotion to a team among Irish supporters that I've seen among other nationalities, however irrational that devotion might be.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

I hate the sight of those black and white flags please keep my town tidy I went to a Shhligo game once and did not feel comfortable, however the mutant squeals and grunts when the ref gave frees against them were mildly amusing from a distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Stevedore

Some rascal put a sign on the Dublin road "Sligo Rovers Connacht Champions 2010

There was a sign on the N17 just as you turned off the Tubberbride roundabout heading galway direction saying "Best of luck Sligo from Raoul Moat"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

There was a sign on the N17 just as you turned off the Tubberbride roundabout heading galway direction saying "Best of luck Sligo from Raoul Moat"!

I lol'd. One thing that annoys me is the amount of support Sligo get when they're going good in the qualififers or the Connacht championship. Where were all these people in January/February when it was freezing cold and raining playing teams like Kilkenny or Tipperary?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

greetings wrote: »
    I lol'd. One thing that annoys me is the amount of support Sligo get when they're going good in the qualififers or the Connacht championship. Where were all these people in January/February when it was freezing cold and raining playing teams like Kilkenny or Tipperary?

Watching Sligo play in div.3, playing neither Tipperary (div.2) or Kilkenny (div.4)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Watching Sligo play in div.3, playing neither Tipperary (div.2) or Kilkenny (div.4)

I was merely giving examples,Sligo were in division 4 last season or the season before last if my memory serves me correctly. Thanks.

Advertisement