Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games arcade

Options
  • 10-07-2010 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭

A games arcade seems like a very profitable business to operate. Kids plough euro coins into these machines at the rate of 2 a minute. Costs include what? - electricity, rent and maybe a security guard. The beauty of the business is that it's the machines that make you the money while you sit back and watch.

Am I talking shíte? Does anyone with experience in this business wish to correct me? The games arcade would ideally be placed in a city centre location á la Dr. Quirkeys on O'Connell St. The amusements at seaside resorts like Bray seem a lot quieter and depend on seasonal business.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

Bump.

So nobody has any input to make? Some may argue that the video game arcade reached its peak in the late 80s and has been on a downward spiral ever since with the increasing presence of game consoles in the home. I'd argue that the games arcade offers a totally different experience. Nothing compares to sitting in a flashy cabinet with a big gun/steering wheel in your hands!

Mods feel free to move to the games forum if you think this isn't the appropriate forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭fishy21

when you mention possible costs, didn't you forget the actual machines. I couldn't imagine them being too cheap. Also i reckon for that type of enviroment i'd expect insurance to be fairly expensive.

Do a proper business plan and then you'll see if there is a good profit to be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Hey, Have a look in the retro section, there has been quite a few threads on this.
    I think the main thing is rent in the city centre for a large building is huge, especially for somewhere like O'Connell street
    Also you need an amusement license and insurance.
    This is something I've always wanted to do but......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 141089

I don't think your talking ****e.

This has crossed my mind too. I wouldn't set it up in Ireland, but definately in a western country. Obviously you know Dr Quirkeys, I feel a lot can be learned from that place.

I'm gonna sound like I think you know nothing here, but go there with the sole view of seeing what they are doing wrong, what you could improve on with your business

It's rather awful of me , but watching people play at the large roulette machines is what makes me really believe there are bbig bucks to be made in this niche.

I think Quirkeys has Dublin city centre, if I won enough money to set it up, I would set up something something very similar to Quirkeys in a decent Western company in a large footfall area. Big building.

Until then I can dream.

Also another more amazing business model is Penneys.(no adverts wtf) Working there for a few summers tought me a lot.

It is totally do able. buy a decent piece of land in or near large footfall area. You could start with a small building selling essentials - socks jackets runners tshirts etc. Then after a few turnovers build on to the premises and just keep expanding. Rinse and repeat. The bigger it gets the more bulk discounts you will get..

Harder than I make out obviously, but it's not as hard as your friends and family will insist.

Unless you got one of those really cool supportive people in your life!

Anyway, I never know how to conclude medium sized posts, so on that note, dream less, live more, and think big!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭unhappycamper

I think the problem is that consoles have better graphics in most cases than arcades and kids don't understand what a joystick is compared to a pad. I wouldn't touch the industry with a barge pole as its dead and buried here, maybe somewhere else in America it may work in a mall or something but come on kids these days are flat broke it would be suicide.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

FWIW I think an all in venue with kids play area for the smallies, arcade, amusements, bowling etc. for the older kids is a good model.

You want to target something that during the bad weather brings in the kids for birthday parties etc. but during the summer it provides a lower unit cost service as people want value.

There are numerous kids play zone type places in my area and while they probably do ok in the winter I notice most kids parties during the summer now seem to take place at home.

A lot of these places seem to be closing on Mondays and Tuesdays etc. but if somebody took one on with the right business model and promoted discounted admission or all inclusive packages then they would make money.

The days of people opening a venture (everything from golfcourses to pubs) and the punters just turning up are gone. These businesses need to be properly structured, well thought out and in the correct location.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Dixy

Personally I think the days of the massive arcade is dead, kids play consoles at home on TV's in their rooms and have not got the money to spend on a day in an arcade.
    1 thing that crossed my mind when reading this tread is supplying machines into places that don't have them and charging a form of rent on them. Take places for family outings, visitor centres or play groups and try get a foot in the door supplying machines to distract older kids while the little ones play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

141089 wrote: »
    Also another more amazing business model is Penneys.(no adverts wtf) Working there for a few summers tought me a lot.

It is totally do able. buy a decent piece of land in or near large footfall area. You could start with a small building selling essentials - socks jackets runners tshirts etc. Then after a few turnovers build on to the premises and just keep expanding. Rinse and repeat. The bigger it gets the more bulk discounts you will get..

Harder than I make out obviously, but it's not as hard as your friends and family will insist.

Seems like a plan. I was thinking of doing this as well. I thought I was onto a winner as Penneys only have about 40 stores in Ireland. The only other competition in the discount clothing business is Dunnes. So the gap is quite large. Marks & Spencer don't matter as they're a bit more expensive, and all those sports shops selling runners and stuff don't really know what they're doing anyway.

My problem was finding that chunk of land so I could build a warehouse type store on. And then bummer of all bummers, TK Maxx come in selling bloody designer stuff at low prices and that other shower from England ... you know - the supermarket guys ... TESCO ... started selling damned clothing as well. You'd think they'd stick to food and let someone else have some of the business. I had my eye on this great site on the south side of Dublin, only to get gazumped by some bastard who went and built a bloody shopping centre on it, with Penneys, M&S and Tesco in it. Sickener. I guess I should have made my move sooner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Fo Real wrote: »
    A games arcade seems like a very profitable business to operate. Kids plough euro coins into these machines at the rate of 2 a minute. Costs include what? - electricity, rent and maybe a security guard. The beauty of the business is that it's the machines that make you the money while you sit back and watch.

Am I talking shíte? Does anyone with experience in this business wish to correct me? The games arcade would ideally be placed in a city centre location á la Dr. Quirkeys on O'Connell St. The amusements at seaside resorts like Bray seem a lot quieter and depend on seasonal business.

Rent would be high for a decent location.

Kids are at school for a lot of time, so place would only be busy at ceratin times.

As another poster said - many kids have consoles at home.

Rates are horrendous in Ireland.

Cost of machines are expensive

Staff required at all times to give change, sort problems etc.

Load of these places about in any case. Some busy, some quiet.

Advertisement