Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Republic versus NI

Options
  • 10-07-2010 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

I sometimes compare prices between the two locations on their website as I regularly travel in both areas. There is usually not much in the difference when you take foreign exchange into account. However their Super Saturday price for 2 litres Cider is €2.79 (normal price €3.79) in South and £1.29 (£1.79) in the North. Can't be just duty difference can it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

they probably need to cut the price more in Northern Ireland to be cheaper than all their competitors, such is the cut-throat nature of the UK retail industry

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I wouldn't be surprised if it was duty, someone told me that a bottle of wine in the south for €4, 75% of the price was tax and duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Sigh. The two sides should be emerging to argue any minute now ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

I'm not sure but isn't there laws here that don't allow shops to sell alcohol at a loss, maybe the NI is shop is using it as a loss leader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Isn't the excise duty on alcohol different down here to up there?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I don't know the exact differenc ein duty on cider bewteen the 2 areas, but there is a biggeer duty difference on cider than on beer.

As for another post - no restrictions on below cost selling, and on another post, duty on wine is near enough the same in north & south - about 30c - 40 c difference / bottle. Total is about €1.60 in south per bottle. - That's why on better wines there is rarely much of a difference beween north & south. On cheaper wines, its all about discounting & below cost selling on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Aldi (Lidl dont give figures on theirs but I doubt theres a huge difference) have a good section on their site outlineing a big factor in Irelands higher prices:

.ie

€60K for starters
    Secure a place on the Aldi Area Manager Graduate Training Programme and you’ll enjoy a remuneration package that is unsurpassed. A €60K starting salary that rises in stages to €86K after three years, plus a fully expensed Audi A4. There’s also a pension scheme, private healthcare, life assurance, five weeks holiday, international secondment opportunities plus prospects for a senior management position within five years.

.co.uk

£40K for starters
    Secure a place on the Aldi Area Manager Graduate Training Programme and you’ll enjoy a remuneration package that is unsurpassed. A £40K starting salary that rises in stages to £61k after three years, plus a fully expensed Audi A4. There’s also a pension scheme, private healthcare, life assurance, five weeks holiday, international secondment opportunities plus prospects for directorship within five years.

Rip off UK?

Advertisement