Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who are the worst team to win a World Cup?

2»

Comments

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Italy 2006 for me... honestly the only thing/goal I remember of any significance was Grossos fantastic strike in the semis. Reminded me of Greece winning the euros in 2004.

Utter rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

bonerm wrote: »
    W.Germany are the worst team I've seen to win the world cup. Granted they stormed out of the blocks early on, but in the QF, SF and final they only scored 3 goals (2 penalties and 1 a deflected free-kick). Coupled with this an attack spearheaded by Jurgen Klinnsmann who took diving & feigned injury to almost a gymnastic art-form. Hardly inspiring stuff.

that german team reached the euro 92 final and a sizeable chunk of the team played in the winning euro 96 side , the abysmal and horribley cynical 1990 final shows them in a bad light but in reality , they were the most solid team throughout that dreadfull world cup with the possible exception of italy

agree with earlier poster who nominated argentina from 86 , litterally a one man team , italy along with canavarro had superb performances throughout from gattusso , pirlo etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Argentina in 86 was probably the worst "team".

W. Germany in 1990 wasn't great, though that was more down to the WC itself. Matthaus and Hassler weren't half bad! It wasn't the worst team.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

CSF wrote: »
    Have any of us bar the very very very very old really got enough World Cup experience to call this? I mean its a very fanatical individual who has seen every game from every World Cup winner.

Any decision made in the thread is presumably not going to become law, so it's just a discussion..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Italy '34 for me. Cheats!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

04072511 wrote: »
    I think the Argentina 78 team was a great side, but they have a few doubts over them. Allegations of throwing their last match of their first round group against Italy so they could go into the easier Second Round group and avoid the Dutch. Then they needed to beat Peru by 4 clear goals to reach the final ahead of Brazil and they won 6-0. Allegations exist to this day, although Peru twice hit the post in the first 20 minutes. Even in the final Ressenbrink was the width of a post from winning it for the Dutch in the last minute.

So it was a bit of a torrid route through, and they had home advantage, but if you look at the players they had in that team it would be harsh to award them this unwanted honour.

Add a (former) Argentinian in goal for Peru.
    Peru was the team that held Holland to an easy 0-0 in the 1st round group. And were actually playing better than Holland.
    (i am an old fart, i remember that tournament...)

But the worst team for me was Germany 1990. Was the worst tournament i have seen in any case and the Germans were as fun to watch as Greece was in euro 2004.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Henry, Anelka, Trezeguet and Vieira came into the team and deadwood like Guivarc'h and Karembeu dropped out.

Henry and Trezeguet were very much in the WC winning side. Guivarc'h was basically an unused sub.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Henry and Trezeguet were very much in the WC winning side. Guivarc'h was basically an unused sub.

Huh? You've got this very wrong. Henry and Trezeguet were in the team as the new young hot-shots. They both got some minutes as subs (pretty sure Henry started the last group game as well against Saudi Arabia and bagged a couple of goals once France were already through) but were certainly not in the starting eleven.

France played a 4-5-1 and Guivarc'h was the man leading the line. He was **** though. France won that tournament based on a great back 4, as well as Deschamps in front of them, and then of course a bit of quality from Zidane. The France 98 team had a lot of similarites with the Italy2006 team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Morzadec wrote: »
    Huh? You've got this very wrong. Henry and Trezeguet were in the team as the new young hot-shots. They both got some minutes as subs (pretty sure Henry started the last group game as well against Saudi Arabia and bagged a couple of goals once France were already through) but were certainly not in the starting eleven.

France played a 4-5-1 and Guivarc'h was the man leading the line. He was **** though. France won that tournament based on a great back 4, as well as Deschamps in front of them, and then of course a bit of quality from Zidane. The France 98 team had a lot of similarites with the Italy2006 team

Gonna hold my hands up here and admit I'm a bit wrong here!

I'll change my opening sentence to 'Huh? You've got this a bit wrong.'

Checked out some of the matches out of curiosity and Guivarch, Trezeguet and Henry all got about the same amount of games/minutes.

Guivarch less so in the group stages and more so in the Knockout stages, so that's probably why I remembered him as being the main man, and they did line out like that in the final.

But Henry started France's opening 2 group games and the game against Saudi Arabia was in fact the 2nd group game so they weren't already through. He did get 2 goals though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

No bad team has won a recent WC , but a bad WC can make a certain final/winner forgetabble .

I fear the same for this WC , I'm afraid that unless the final is a real spectical then WC10 is totally forgettable and so will the final and winners.

Not the best WC by any means .:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Guivarc'h was far from an unused sub, memory is playing tricks on you. He started the world cup final!

The French team were renowned in the tournament for not having a top striker. Henry had not had his rebirth as a striker under Wenger at this stage. He rarely featured after the group stages and was an unused sub in the final. Trezeguet featured even less. Posts like yours are what I am referring to, the legend of what they achieved afterwards has cast a different light on their team in 1998.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

Somebody here said Uruguay 1930 were the worst team to win it. Thats very harsh. Yes very few European teams travelled to Uruguay for the World Cup but Uruguay won the 1924 and 1928 Olympic Games (back when Olympic football meant something) and were the undisputed best team in the World at that time, which is why FIFA picked them to host the first world cup.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Guivarc'h was far from an unused sub, memory is playing tricks on you. He started the world cup final!

The French team were renowned in the tournament for not having a top striker. Henry had not had his rebirth as a striker under Wenger at this stage. He rarely featured after the group stages and was an unused sub in the final. Trezeguet featured even less. Posts like yours are what I am referring to, the legend of what they achieved afterwards has cast a different light on their team in 1998.

Fair enough, admittedly I had forgotten just how long Guivarc'h had spent on the pitch doing absolutely nothing of note!

Henry started against Paraguay, played an hour against Croatia and 30 mins against Italy though - hardly rarely featuring in fairness. There was no rebirth as such - Henry has moved back and forth between the wing and the front since he was a teenager.

Trezuguet played the whole match against Paraguay and came on against Italy and Croatia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Fair enough, admittedly I had forgotten just how long Guivarc'h had spent on the pitch doing absolutely nothing of note!

Henry started against Paraguay, played an hour against Croatia and 30 mins against Italy though - hardly rarely featuring in fairness. There was no rebirth as such - Henry has moved back and forth between the wing and the front since he was a teenager.

Trezuguet played the whole match against Paraguay and came on against Italy and Croatia.

Yes but my point is they were not focal points of the team as they were 2 years later. Henry in 1998 and Henry in 2000 are two different creatures. In and out in 1998, or a central player in 2000. He was a much, much better player in the Euros. By rebirth I mean when he started actually regularly scoring goals. Even today he still in the middle ground between left winger and striker.

Regardless, France were poor throughout the tournament and then clicked in the second half against Croatia and the final against Brazil. I mentioned them as they are rarely mentioned in discussions like these whereas Italy in 2006 or Argentina in 1986 are. I do not see a great difference in any of these teams. What they were like in Euro 2000 does alter the image of the 1998 team.

Advertisement