Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gola Island Ferry still operating?

Options
  • 10-07-2010 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to go to Gola Island today or tomorrow, are there any services running?

also, what is the general price for sailings to Donegal islands? I would prefer to go to Gola but I'm also interested in Aranmore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Dunno how you would get to gola and either does girlfriend but i'm on my way to tory island now myself. Boats run few times a day if you are interested I can put up numbers etc here later on. Reply if that suits and i'll find out more for ya :)

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭gingerGiant

Used this a few years ago maybe it still runs.

http://homepage.eircom.net/~cogola/

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Was that taken before it sank? :pac:

There is a daily ferry from bunbeg I don't have a number but if you ring one of the tory boats they'll be able to give it to ya. 0749531340 will get ya the info you need :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mk2

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

There are a number of sailings daily from Magheroarty to Tory. Shorter journey than from Bunbeg.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Theres two different ferry companies operating to Arranmore, not sure which is cheaper as I only ever use the same one. The price for a car and driver is around €25 for islanders but costs extra for tourists, not sure how much exactly though.

If you just want a day trip you dont really need a car and it'd save you quite a bit of money, just take the fast ferry mentioned above which gets you in in 5 minutes and is much cheaper.

danjo wrote: »
    There are a number of sailings daily from Magheroarty to Tory. Shorter journey than from Bunbeg.;)

Aye but none from Magheroarty to gola. Just from bunbeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

thanks for all the info, just workin out our plans for today and tomorrow. got a number for Gola but it might be expensive as I think its private hire

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Ammonite

I'm hoping to head out in a couple of weeks myself. Let us know how your visit goes.

We have an excellent, evocative little book about Gola at home that is mentioned on this page and is well worth a read if you find it second hand. http://irishislands.info/dlgola.html That's what made me want to go out actually, hope the weather holds out for when I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

didnt get over as my German friend got an early lift to Sligo, have a number of a guy who sails over if anyone needs it, just PM me.

was actually over on Gola a good few years ago with my family on a friends boat, it was amazing, kitchen tables had plates and cutlery, beds had bedclothes on them, we were the only people on the Island that day. I think a couple of people moved back since then. theres farm animals there anyway, prob because its easy to keep foxes and predators away from stock?

Advertisement