Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic Land Rovers with new engine and suspension.

• 10-07-2010 3:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭

I watched a program years ago where they where restoring a Series 1 or 2 Land Rover. They basically just kept the chassis and installed a newer engine, proper brakes and suspension which made it into a relatively modern 4x4 while still keeping it's classic status.

I've seen a few driving around since then and always thought it is a great way to get a modern Land Rover without the high taxes associated with them in passenger trim, I could live with the fuel costs and know how to use spanners so repairs/maintenance won't be an issue.

I've searched the net a bit since then but can't find them as I'm obviously using the wrong terminology. What is the correct name for them and what is peoples opinion of them? I'm not looking to buy one at the moment, just want to do some more research into them for a possible purchase.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

They are usually known as Hybrids (stick that in ebay;)) and the TV program was A 4x4 is Born, repeated regularly although I have the DVD. The most common practice in the UK is to take an old Range Rover, bin the body, cut and shut the chassis, add a heap of LR series panels and stick the lot together, keeping the identity of the RR chassis after getting an IVA test. AFAIK, here, the vehicle identity belongs to the chassis and making real major changes may put you dodgy ground with vehicle identity.

Another common practice is to take a series Land Rover and put a TDi or other modern diesel engine in, parabolic springs and the like which keeps the vehicle fairly original looking. Putting later disc braked axles and coils on a series chassis is doable but heck of a lot of work.

There's plenty of good ones around here and the UK, but there's also lots of dodgy ones to get vintage tax, recently seen late classic Range Rovers (inc an LSE) and a Defender on ZV plates :mad:

There's always examples in the various LR comics next time you're passing Easons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

101sean wrote: »
    They are usually known as Hybrids (stick that in ebay;)) and the TV program was A 4x4 is Born, repeated regularly although I have the DVD. The most common practice in the UK is to take an old Range Rover, bin the body, cut and shut the chassis, add a heap of LR series panels and stick the lot together, keeping the identity of the RR chassis after getting an IVA test. AFAIK, here, the vehicle identity belongs to the chassis and making real major changes may put you dodgy ground with vehicle identity.

I knew I was using the wrong term all right. Now that I have the proper name I can do some digging. It must be repeated on one of the Discovery channels I don't have:(

Another common practice is to take a series Land Rover and put a TDi or other modern diesel engine in, parabolic springs and the like which keeps the vehicle fairly original looking. Putting later disc braked axles and coils on a series chassis is doable but heck of a lot of work.

There's plenty of good ones around here and the UK, but there's also lots of dodgy ones to get vintage tax, recently seen late classic Range Rovers (inc an LSE) and a Defender on ZV plates :mad:

There's always examples in the various LR comics next time you're passing Easons

I've seen a few of these around they look the business, but as with everything to do with motoring purchases Caveat Emptor.

As I said it's a long term plan/idea

Sound enough, do plenty of research. The DVD is fairly good but there's plenty of owners websites and blogs on the various LR forums (http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php probably one of the best)

Here's an example for sale at the moment that's probably OK but still on UK plates, based on an 82 Range Rover so won't be vintage and be liable to VRT and DOE unless someone pulls a fast one.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1409036

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

Related to this, is there anyone in ireland who'll insure a classic landy for full use, towing, farming, whatever you want to do with it? or is it just for going to shows only?

I have a 1964 109 with a disco engine and defender box that I'm hoping to get back to at some stage, but not sure how much use I'll actually be able to legitimiately make of it.

Have a look on the classic car forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=514 for insurance companies who cover classics but I reckon you'll end up with a normal policy. When I went to the IVS to insure my 101 (they use FBD) I was refused cover as I said I towed with the 101 until I put it in writing that the missile trailer was part of the display and for show only.

My modded 110 is insured through AXA who were pretty understanding, don't try and do it over the phone to a national call centre though, the computer will say no, go in to a local office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Sadly, another common practise is to steal someones 2004 (or so) Defender then pretend it is a 1965 Land Rover that you happened to have the logbook for.... but "honest I rebuilt it officer"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Sound enough, do plenty of research. The DVD is fairly good but there's plenty of owners websites and blogs on the various LR forums (http://www.landroveraddict.com/smf/index.php probably one of the best)

Here's an example for sale at the moment that's probably OK but still on UK plates, based on an 82 Range Rover so won't be vintage and be liable to VRT and DOE unless someone pulls a fast one.

http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/1409036

I've seen that thing in person, and heard it (also been nearly suffocated by it starting up and running that v8 in the workshop). It's a bit mental. It's at the place my usual mechanic works out of, but not his.

If that was being registered as a commercial vrt is cheap on it, might have trouble passing emissions with the big old carbed V8 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Have a look on the classic car forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=514 for insurance companies who cover classics but I reckon you'll end up with a normal policy. When I went to the IVS to insure my 101 (they use FBD) I was refused cover as I said I towed with the 101 until I put it in writing that the missile trailer was part of the display and for show only.

My modded 110 is insured through AXA who were pretty understanding, don't try and do it over the phone to a national call centre though, the computer will say no, go in to a local office.

that's good advice about goin into the office in person, AXA are usually ok for me, and i can get them to insure not so ordinary stuff, but only if i go into my local (limerick) office and talk to them and explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Snake_Doctor

I bought a 1970 "Defender" with this in mind, I was going to do it up, but it will cost too much time and cash, and I think I would prefer a rangie for the comfort. My advice - buy it from someone who has already put the work and cash in. I think the principle is sound, just know exactly what you are looking for, if only I had followed my own advice...:rolleyes: In fact the next notion I have is a vintage rangie with a Cummins 6BT or a Perkins 6354. Might as well go big when its vintage...

Advertisement