Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tuam Arts Festival

• 10-07-2010 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone knows who will be coming to the Tuam arts festival this year? I think that it is on at end of August.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,944 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

No one confirmed as of yet but if you want to get involved in workshops such as acting, making stuff, Earwig will be holding them in the run up to the festival for the festival.

It's on from the 21st to the 28th of August this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

No Sawdocs this year, I'm afraid. There was some talk of getting them for Tuam Stadium but don't think anything materialised from this. The Coonics and The Ralphs will be there with a lot of mini theatre stuff as far as I know. Apart from that, it will be fairly local. Hope the Square Inn Backroom Boys do another gig in the pub. it was brilliant two years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Hoodrats and mikom banned and posts removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

greengreen wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows who will be coming to the Tuam arts festival this year? I think that it is on at end of August.

It'll be pretty much the same as last year, the same bands all the time! Who you can see for free every other weekend!!

Honest opinion, they should make it a long weekend, Thurs to Sun and put the money saved into getting bigger acts in a bigger venue.

The marquee are the back of the rustics last year was waaaay to small for the Saw Doc's and tickets were sold out before they were even released which is not on!

Remember when the festival used to have a fireworks display at the end? Bring that back?

Still though, it's a very good effort and I will always support it. I'm looking forward to The Coonics, The Ralphs, hopefully Keith Mullins/Pier 19 might be on the line up. The Government are playing The Woolstores this Sat night, be good if they were at the festival too, be good to see Noelie McDonnell for a few chants also.

And the Earwig parade is always very good!

Mr Keek wrote: »
    It'll be pretty much the same as last year, the same bands all the time! Who you can see for free every other weekend!!

Honest opinion, they should make it a long weekend, Thurs to Sun and put the money saved into getting bigger acts in a bigger venue.

The marquee are the back of the rustics last year was waaaay to small for the Saw Doc's and tickets were sold out before they were even released which is not on!

Remember when the festival used to have a fireworks display at the end? Bring that back?

Still though, it's a very good effort and I will always support it. I'm looking forward to The Coonics, The Ralphs, hopefully Keith Mullins/Pier 19 might be on the line up. The Government are playing The Woolstores this Sat night, be good if they were at the festival too, be good to see Noelie McDonnell for a few chants also.

And the Earwig parade is always very good!

Sorry but I was one of the people in the box office selling those Saw Doctors tickets and not one ticket was reserved. It wasn't allowed. The people who wanted the tickets got up early and queued for those tickets so it was first come first served. It was limited at 4 per person too.

The fireworks cost a fortune, it just can't be done.

There is little to no funds coming in for the Arts Festival this year. The kitty is almost bone dry but they are working around the clock trying to get it to happen.

The insurance is far too much to put The Docs in the stadium.

There should be a new act coming up from Limerick (I hope), he is very good so I'm gonna try and promote him to the last if he gets a slot. It'll be someone different to look forward to.

I do like your long weekend idea though.

Have you got any suggestions where to put the tent? Seriously, we're all ears to hear ideas from the public. However, one year we did a survey for the Arts Festival and the general consensus was that people were happy with the location. Particularly mothers of young children for the disco and workshops because it is closed in so the kids don't run away!

The Rustic Vaults has been very generous providing an area for the tent and they provide the extra staff for running the bar and cleaning up so all Earwig has to do is provide the security. It's economical for Earwig to be there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 497 ✭✭Mr Keek

Part of me would love to see a small circus tent in the St. Jarlath's/St Pat's football fields, something small like Cois Fharraige in Kilkee, but obviously if funds are that tight its not feasible.

And you'd want to have a more than one head liner to fill the place, and if the event is not be marketed outside of Tuam then it would flop I suppose.

I can keep dreaming I suppose, I'm still in Oxegen mode:D

That Limerick act Mars Bar, would it be Supermodel Twins by any chance?

Mr Keek wrote: »
    Part of me would love to see a small circus tent in the St. Jarlath's/St Pat's football fields, something small like Cois Fharraige in Kilkee, but obviously if funds are that tight its not feasible.

And you'd want to have a more than one head liner to fill the place, and if the event is not be marketed outside of Tuam then it would flop I suppose.

I can keep dreaming I suppose, I'm still in Oxegen mode:D

That Limerick act Mars Bar, would it be Supermodel Twins by any chance?

That wouldn't be bad but that would mean someone would have to cut the grass of Pat's field! :p

No not Supermodel Twins, I've never even heard of those! His name is Keith Forde, he's just after finishing recording his EP and is beginning to go out on the live circuit now with a band. He recently came 3rd in the folk section of the International Songwriters Competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

The Ralphs won't be playing this years Tuam Arts Festival unfortunately .

Jamey wrote: »
    The Ralphs won't be playing this years Tuam Arts Festival unfortunately .

:(

It needs a headline act and without it, the Arts Festival in Tuam will be just another blip on the social calendar as opposed to something that should be looked forward to.

I understand that money is major factor but a big act can carry the rest of the festival often benefit the smaller, lesser known acts.

Pity about the Ralphs not playing. They are super and hopefully they will soon make the breakthrough they deserve.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TuamGalway

why are the ralphs not playing, anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 389 ✭✭Jamey

TuamGalway wrote: »
    why are the ralphs not playing, anyone know?

Two of the band are away on holidays during the Arts Festival this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

mars bar wrote: »
    It was limited at 4 per person too.

You say that like it was really good to limit it to just 4 per person?
    Why not 2 per person?

amiable wrote: »
    You say that like it was really good to limit it to just 4 per person?
    Why not 2 per person?

Hey, I don't run these things!

We had people asking for 6 and 8 tickets and were shocked to hear it was only 4 per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hey, I don't run these things!

We had people asking for 6 and 8 tickets and were shocked to hear it was only 4 per person.
    Well you missed the point i was making or at least failed to address it.
    Why say it like it was such a good thing to only sell 4per person?
    IMO 4 is too much

Anyway, no sawdocs or no ralphs but at least the coonics will be there if they are not supporting the docs. It's time to move on from last year and see if there is a sustainable future in the Tuam Arts Festival in its current format.

amiable wrote: »
    Well you missed the point i was making or at least failed to address it.
    Why say it like it was such a good thing to only sell 4per person?
    IMO 4 is too much

I don't know the reasoning behind it. If you want a definitive answer, I won't waste your time by making up bull. You're gonna have to go to the higher ups to find out.

People were asking for 6 or 7 tickets. In this case, 4 was a good amount in my opinion.

Too much in your opinion? Fair enough, that is your opinion and you're entitled to it.

dec25532 wrote: »
    Anyway, no sawdocs or no ralphs but at least the coonics will be there if they are not supporting the docs. It's time to move on from last year and see if there is a sustainable future in the Tuam Arts Festival in its current format.

You need new sources if you were sure the Docs weren't playing! :D

"The Saw Doctors to play in the marquee out the back of the Rustic Vaults on August 27/28. There are only 400 tickets available for each show & cost 20 Euro plus charges. They go on sale from Ticketmaster outlets on Tuesday August 3."

EDIT: Here's a note from the Saw Doctors manager, Ollie Jennings:

"Just to clarify, the two Tuam gigs are to showcase the band's new album , The Further Adventures of The Saw Doctors which will be released in Ireland on Friday September 10. Davy, Leo, Anto, Kevin and Eimhin will play all eleven new songs from the album including the current single, Takin' the Train, at the two gigs in the Vicar Street N Marquee. The two Earwig shows on August 27 and 28 will not be Greatest Hits concerts--the lads won't be playing Joyce Country, I useta Lover, etc at these two gigs in Vicar Street."

You need new sources if you were sure the Docs weren't playing! :D

"The Saw Doctors to play in the marquee out the back of the Rustic Vaults on August 27/28. There are only 400 tickets available for each show & cost 20 Euro plus charges. They go on sale from Ticketmaster outlets on Tuesday August 3."

EDIT: Here's a note from the Saw Doctors manager, Ollie Jennings:

"Just to clarify, the two Tuam gigs are to showcase the band's new album , The Further Adventures of The Saw Doctors which will be released in Ireland on Friday September 10. Davy, Leo, Anto, Kevin and Eimhin will play all eleven new songs from the album including the current single, Takin' the Train, at the two gigs in the Vicar Street N Marquee. The two Earwig shows on August 27 and 28 will not be Greatest Hits concerts--the lads won't be playing Joyce Country, I useta Lover, etc at these two gigs in Vicar Street."

We can all rest easy in our beds now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭rco2000

dec25532 wrote: »

Tickets for both Sawdocs concerts are available from the Ticketmaster desk in Elverys Sports in Tuam Shopping Centre- still had some available on Saturday last.

• Advertisement
Advertisement