Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 8 - Sunday, July 11 2010, Station des Rousses - Morzine-Avoriaz

• 10-07-2010 4:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭

nowhere to hide today

Summit hitout tests the big hitters

The fact that Colombian climbing legend Lucho Herrera won a very similar stage to this back in 1985 underlines the importance of this stage to the yellow jersey contenders. As the popular old adage goes, it’ll be one of those days they can’t win the Tour but can definitely lose it.

The main difficulty is the Ramaz, the first cat one ascent of the race and one only used once before, back in 2003 when Richard Virenque led the race over it and won in Morzine. The climb to Avoriaz is not super hard, but as a high summit finish it can be counted on to split the main contenders to some extent as those with the legs and those without are sorted out.

gr215492_600.jpg

gr214545_600.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sdigby

Not a lot of people know maybe! but you can watch the tour in glorious HD for free on the German satellite channel Das Erste (1HD) on the Astra 1 satellite.
    Commentary is in German but you can use the commentary from an old analogue sat receiver tuned to German Eurosport with English selected. Sounds complicated but its working fine for me. Picture is stunning!! You need sat dish + HD sat receiver at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

sdigby wrote: »
    Not a lot of people know maybe! but you can watch the tour in glorious HD for free on the German satellite channel Das Erste (1HD) on the Astra 1 satellite.
    Commentary is in German but you can use the commentary from an old analogue sat receiver tuned to German Eurosport with English selected. Sounds complicated but its working fine for me. Picture is stunning!! You need sat dish + HD sat receiver at least.

How?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

How?
    move your dish tune in your hd receiver i guess

no point for me no HD telly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Raedwald

Cannot wait for tomorrow, think with the rest day following some of the lads will be giving it hell for leather if needs be.

With regard to the GC contenders, i feel that it could be a case of them all watching each other and sitting at the front of the peloton if anyone tries to go early.

I think that Armstrong will have to give it a bash as he is down on time to the other main contenders. and will have kloden pushing him all day long. It also might show what ideas about GC Vino has, if any.

One thing is for sure it will be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Think you might see the likes of Basso and Sastre who need to gain time having a go tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

Evans to blast them all a new one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

evens , contador ,armstrong . this will be like the final shoot out in the good the bad and the ugly .

the music has stopped time for the shooting to start , schleck will have the legs but not the support ,saying that he might/will have to win today .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,012 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

i think the main contenders will be content to finish together today. the Pyrenees stages are tough this year so they may save themselves for those.

although i am hoping for a good attacking stage today. the real fun will start about 55km from the finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

A fairly tame race today so far. Even the pack at the front not killing themselves. Expecting things to explode as soon as they go vertigo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

jwshooter wrote: »
    evens , contador ,armstrong . this will be like the final shoot out in the good the bad and the ugly .

the music has stopped time for the shooting to start , schleck will have the legs but not the support ,saying that he might/will have to win today .

I dont understand why.
    Why would a team want to expend energy defending the yellow jersey for a week before the Pyrenees are encountered.
    Evans needs to do very little IMO, just roughly maintain where he is.

If anything, Schleck or Sastre need to begin moving up the ranks, but I'd say thats about it. Finish in the 1st few groups, and hopefully allow Quick Step defend the jerseys for next few days.
    Patience required I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Another fall for Lance...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭manafana

chavenel losing ground, should see a new yellow today, if pace does go up.

Domestiques getting dropped, but not a quick pace, just steady, why sky are doing most work i dont know

bang, astana up it, and armstrong if off the back. Will be some changes today fancy contador if he does give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Everyone's going now.Vino,Kloeden,Luis Leon Sanchez and Armstrong gone off.Wonder if it's Armstrong's falls or if he just doesn't have it today

to be honest ll sanhez is no a real climber so he wudnt be too happy with this climb, armstrongs group quiet big now their all suck the pace off radioshack riding it.

Le mevel blew very quick today

Can anyone see Basso in the main group.I saw Kreuziger.

Basso is in there.Just saw him

nah cudnt see him, but i assume hes in their if you havnt seen them pop off back its most likely still in contador group.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

Anyone know which group Roche is in?

Roche is with the main group.Think Gadret is in there with him too

well vino's back he'll give lads a gud line for the descent, basso is in their too anyway and sastre anyone else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭thereturn

titan18 wrote: »
    Roche is with the main group.Think Gadret is in there with him too

Super.Saw Gadret didn't see Roche.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

He has 2 teamates with him:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Looks like Lance has accepted it.

Armstrong stopped again.Some amount of bad luck he has had today

Odds on Armstrong pulling out?

well his actual crash was his own doing, horner gone up road now, leip is the new man lance has given up the ghost.

mloc123 wrote: »
    Odds on Armstrong pulling out?

Highly doubt it. He claims he is doing this for Livestrong, this will show if he is true to this word.

He can still go for stage victories.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RayJ

Esroh wrote: »
    He has 2 teamates with him:D

According to letour.com Roche isn't there.

ryder herdshal of garmin just hanging on at moment.

• Advertisement

cooker3 wrote: »
    Highly doubt it. He claims he is doing this for Livestrong, this will show if he is true to this word.

He can still go for stage victories.

I wouldn't be too suprised if he pulled out due to 'injury'... he looks to be struggling and I don't think he would be happy to finish as an 'also ran'

Andy Schlek is stalking Contador and looks very comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

titan18 wrote: »
    Everyone's going now.Vino,Kloeden,Luis Leon Sanchez and Armstrong gone off.Wonder if it's Armstrong's falls or if he just doesn't have it today

just to add to fuel to that...

looked like when he crashed [for the 2nd time of 3 today] he was way down the field, wrong place to be for a tour favourite coming into the final 60km of a mtn stage..

you create your own luck..good or bad that is

watch this rodriquez guy, was my little bet for kom, hes got talent and no team commitments

• Registered Users Posts: 23 RayJ

RayJ wrote: »

Actually I think I just saw Roche. After Riblon and Gadret dropped off, there's still a A2LM jersey!

Jaysus Roche looks in bits.

• Advertisement

roche just dropped seriously suffering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭poppers

roche gone now by the looks of it

RayJ wrote: »
    Just dropped with 6.3 to go

He looked pretty feic'd

wiggins still there ? i think

• Advertisement

alibabba wrote: »
    He looked pretty feic'd
    Great ride though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Great ride by Roche, that was a face of pure suffering, hopefully he won't lose too much time.

Just waiting for Alberto to make his move, hopefully.

And I actually feel pretty sorry for Lance, I don't know why but my heart went out to him, pretty unlucky all day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Shame for Roche. Was a stunning ride to keep up with the peloton for so long.

Looks like there are more motorbikes than bicycles

Come on roche gobble a power bar and get the fcuk up that hill

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Some day's work by Navarro.

Schlek attacking. Contador can't respond!

alibabba wrote: »
    Andy Schlek is stalking Contador and looks very comfortable

Class ride andy, class

Timewise not a huge deal but Schleck landed a massive psychological blow against Contador today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement