Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stage 8 - Sunday, July 11 2010, Station des Rousses - Morzine-Avoriaz

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

so he was struggling
    "Alberto probably wanted to win the stage today. He's a little bit disappointed. He struggled to breathe in the final climb," said Sanquer. Contador confirmed that his breathing wasn't as good as usual.

"Everybody has seen that our Astana team rode at the front all the time," said Contador. "The headwind affected us in the finale. The team has been extraordinary and has done a great work."

Complimenting one of his top rivals and the day's stage winner, Contador said, "Andy Schleck has done really well. He's a rider who caused me some troubles last year as well. He surprised me when he started sprinting, so I decided to wait a little bit for the other riders, who were coming from behind. I've lost a few seconds but I felt good."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-satisfied-with-first-mountain-stage

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

me@ucd wrote: »
    tbh after seeing contador's dauphine Alpe dhuez performance I started to wonder the same about him, he was known for having a savage kick [litteral sense not wicklow lingo:p ] but that seems to have gone this year and he is alot more 'human' now - he couldnt hold schlecks wheel or get on it even, nevermind drop Janni B on alpe dhuez despite trying dozens of times

Didn't Contador have the flu in the week before the Tour started? He might still be feeling the effects of it a little. Its not as if he got dropped half way down the climb and lost minutes, he lost 10 seconds.

He wasn't in peak condition in the Dauphine, it was a prep race for the tour. That explains his lack of kick in that race.

Edit: He probably won't take yellow tomorrow actually, Schleck will.

There's good chance he'll take yellow tomorrow. The Col de Madeleine has a way of sorting things out.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Something,I noticed watching highlights again this morning is that Chris Horner had a fantastic ride.He started the last climb at 2 minutes down on the main group, and finished 4 down on them despite having to ride by himself the whole way up, and just after doing domestique work for Lance.I'd say he'd definately would have finished with the favourites if he hadn't been called back for Lance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

titan18 wrote: »
    Something,I noticed watching highlights again this morning is that Chris Horner had a fantastic ride.He started the last climb at 2 minutes down on the main group, and finished 4 down on them despite having to ride by himself the whole way up, and just after doing domestique work for Lance.I'd say he'd definately would have finished with the favourites if he hadn't been called back for Lance

Does anyone know of any footage online of Armstrong getting dropped? Missed it yesterday and wanted to see it.

Just spent 20 minutes on youtube with no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Does anyone know of any footage online of Armstrong getting dropped? Missed it yesterday and wanted to see it.

See www.cyclingtorrents.nl for all your cycling video needs.

he didnt really get dropped, never got back on after the crashes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcyjge8onvw
    and if that really is lance sliding down the road on his back :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHBftK8okyA

He got back on after that didn't he? Then just slid out the back of the main favourites group...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

He very definitely got dropped.

I'm sure the lancefans will try to rewrite the last moments of his career into into a story of bad luck rather than (the truth) weakness though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

He got back on after that didn't he? Then just slid out the back of the main favourites group...

As I recall, he got back just before the penultimate climb, was dropped on that climb then crashed (lightly) at the feed station at the top, before the descent to the final climb.

There was an awful lot of this going on in my living room yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

yeah he did get back on after the 2nd crash of 3, then cracked. he was then held up by a crash (didnt fall) and after a bit of trying gave up and accepted it. he just didnt have the legs or lungs

Edit: what lumen said (im too slow -damn mods and their keyboard abilities)

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

niceonetom wrote: »
    He very definitely got dropped.

I'm sure the lancefans will try to rewrite the last moments of his career into into a story of bad luck rather than (the truth) weakness though.

Come on dude, doping or not doping aside, the guy has to be respected for not packing it all in yesterday considering the horrible week he has had on the bike.

The worst thing about the whole LA debate is how polarised the two sides are. His detractors can't seem to acknowledge any of his qualities while his fans seem unable to admit that he has any flaws.

The guy is nearly 39 years old, he has taken an absolute hammering this week, but he still crossed the finish line yesterday. Chapeau, I say.

there you go dropped on the col de ramaz
    http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/490720/tour-de-france-2010-video-stage-8-highlights.html

2.14 in on that vid (very brief glimpse)

Thanks, I'd just found that one myself! Still looking for that precise moment where he cracks. :rolleyes:

Moflojo wrote: »
    The worst thing about the whole LA debate is how polarised the two sides are. His detractors can't seem to acknowledge any of his qualities while his fans seem unable to admit that he has any flaws.

Why do you feel it is necessary for there to be consensus?

Come on dude, doping or not doping aside, the guy has to be respected for not packing it all in yesterday considering the horrible week he has had on the bike.

The guy is nearly 39 years old, he has taken an absolute hammering this week, but he still crossed the finish line yesterday. Chapeau, I say.
    There is a long list of other cyclist who dont pack it in day in day out who suffer worse and i dont see anyone coming on here and saluting them.

Just look at O'grady this week, how he finished the stage after hitting the journo god knows.

I would imagine a big part of lance not quitting is the team sponsors.

On the otherside i could flip the coin over and say why did he not make any more of an effort and only roll home? and he looked like a big spoilt brat peering over the other rider when he was held up in the 3rd crash.

kennyb3 wrote: »
    and he looked like a big spoilt brat peering over the other rider when he was held up in the 3rd crash.

I always marvel at the psychological prowess of many of the Lance detractors who seem to know exactly what evil thoughts are running through the guy's mind.

His reaction to the 3rd crash was really odd though, I know I'd have been cracking ironic humourisms if I'd just had my 3rd crash of the day and seen all my hopes of winning a race go out the window.

Lumen wrote: »
    Why do you feel it is necessary for there to be consensus?

I don't think that was what I was getting at at all Lumen. Consensus isn't possible in this debate, but there seem to be very few, if any, people willing to take the middle ground.

I always marvel at the psychological prowess of many of the Lance detractors who seem to know exactly what evil thoughts are running through the guy's mind.

His reaction to the 3rd crash was really odd though, I know I'd have been cracking ironic humourisms if I'd just had my 3rd crash of the day and seen all my hopes of winning a race go out the window.

I do not pretend to know what goes on in his head but just gave my opinion/observation based on his body language. TBH im sure deep down he was only so annoyed as to his own lack of legs:)

I don't think that was what I was getting at at all Lumen. Consensus isn't possible in this debate, but there seem to be very few, if any, people willing to take the middle ground.

What's the middle ground? Either he lied and cheated or he didn't.

I personally think he is an amazing athlete, but I don't see why I should be forced to append that praise to every unproven slur I care to make in order to achieve balance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

It will be fascinating to see LA's blood values for this tour versus prior tours.

ROK ON wrote: »
    It will be fascinating to see LA's blood values for this tour versus prior tours.

now you know thats never gonna happen ;)

Lumen wrote: »
    What's the middle ground? Either he lied and cheated or he didn't.

I personally think he is an amazing athlete, but I don't see why I should be forced to append that praise to every unproven slur I care to make in order to achieve balance.

If everything were as black and white as "he lied and cheated or he didn't" then there probably wouldn't be any debate over this at all. I don't condone cheating, but I refuse to condemn a man without knowing the exact circumstances of his alleged misdemeanors.

By the way, how the hell did you become a mod? Did you collect tokens on the back of Rice Krispies boxes?

'Do as I say, not as I do.'

By the way, how the hell did you become a mod? Did you collect tokens on the back of Rice Krispies boxes?

No, I was directly elected at the eighth annual convention of the Lance Haters Association.

If everything were as black and white as "he lied and cheated or he didn't" then there probably wouldn't be any debate over this at all. I don't condone cheating, but I refuse to condemn a man without knowing the exact circumstances of his alleged misdemeanors.

'Do as I say, not as I do.'
    i suppose you think lance has a sparkling personality too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Moflojo wrote:
    If everything were as black and white as "he lied and cheated or he didn't" then there probably wouldn't be any debate over this at all.
    It is that black and white - that's exactly what the debate is "did he lie and cheat or didn't he".
    Moflojo wrote:
    I don't condone cheating, but I refuse to condemn a man without knowing the exact circumstances of his alleged misdemeanors.
    You should also refuse to praise him if you can't be bothered to find out about his alleged misdemeanors so.

• Advertisement

I think my point about the polar nature of the LA debate has been proven here.

I've tried to be objective in all of my posts on the topic but the anti-Lance camp seem to believe that anything other than utter contempt for Lance Armstrong makes a person a Lance-lover.

I guess trying to take the middle ground in this debate only results in getting pulverised by both sides. This should be a demilitarised zone, like the Koreans have, a no-go area of sorts. It's not safe there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

he cracked badly yesterday.
    I said it on another forum last week that in my opinion, LA would be found out in this TDF and thus it has been proven.

He's 39yo.
    No shame in cracking in a GT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

I've tried to be objective in all of my posts on the topic but the anti-Lance camp seem to believe that anything other than utter contempt for Lance Armstrong makes a person a Lance-lover.

That's not exactly true. The way the Lance debate works is as follows;
    LA has been dogged by rumours and accusations of doping for many years. When discussing his career it is the first issue that must be dealt with. It is a black and white issue - either he did or he didn't. Without addressing this particular issue, it is impossible to analyse any of his achievements in a meaningful fashion.

In my opinion, what you call the middle ground/demilitarised zone, I call the head-in-the-sand zone. By just talking about his chances this year, and his current performances versus his previous performances, nobody's addressing the elephant in the room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

school boy error perhaps?

in his defence it's easy to do in the mountains and heat - you either get food into you at exactly the right time or it's too close to the next climb.
    I recall Armstrong bonking one day trying to follow Pantani across a few mountains. He went on to win that tour - and he was reknowned for his attention to detail.

snuck past tense in to describe Armstrong, just trying it out

• Advertisement
Advertisement