Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 month warranty on ANY used car?

Options
  • 10-07-2010 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Bought an 98' Astra about a month ago. The head gaskett blew the other day. Can I go after the dealer for the cost of the repair in this situation? Is there a 3 month warranty that covers me. Some people have told me that there is, but the dealer says that that only covers cars 7 years old and newer. What can I do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

think it depends on terms of sale and price paid e.g. if the car was sold "as is"/trade then tough totty, buyer beware and all that.
    Also its a 12 year old and I believe astras in 98 were well known for head gaskets blowing, you can nearly expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

THeDriver is right Astras are notorious for blowing head gaskets (happened to me and five other people I know) the dealer was glad to be shut of it I'd say. If it was a trade sale sold as is you have no comeback I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Most Astra's and Fiat Puntos are trade sales for this reason. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

What did you agree on when you bought it? If you didn't get a warranty, then the dealer isn't liable for anything. There is no automatic warranty when buying second-hand cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lifesabitch

No, it wasn't a trade or "as is". I've been in contact with a mechanic that works for CIE and now he says that because of this, and because I bought it less than 3 months ago, I'm definitely within my rights to go after the dealer to do something about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

No, it wasn't a trade or "as is". I've been in contact with a mechanic that works for CIE and now he says that because of this, and because I bought it less than 3 months ago, I'm definitely within my rights to go after the dealer to do something about it.

Anything sold by a business has to be fit for purpose. Unfortunately head gaskets go in cars so unless you can proof that it was a know fault, which will cost more then the repair, you're looking at good will off the dealer unless you have some type of warranty.

You'll need to check your receipt to see what it says. But you'd be doing very good to get any type of warranty that would cover the head gasket going on a 12 year old car that has a reputation for blowing them.

No offence intended but how does someone who works on, I'm assuming, heavy diesels in a semi state have any idea about consumer law? You may as well ask the next old biddy you see walking down the road as they have as much knowledge of the real world as most CIE employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

Lets hope that it is the first time for the head to go, 12 years I would have thought it would have gone before now.. Mine went after 7 years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

The heads in them went due to having the cr@p driven out of them, have a 97 one outside and while the head is weeping a little it has never given trouble.
    As a professional mechanic he would know as if he looked at a vehicle and said it was OK you would have reason to come back to him on it, same goes for a dealer, they cannot let a vehicle leave their premises in a non roadworthy state nor can they claim to sell a car to a member of the public and then claim it is sold as seen. The problem here is that the OP has a problem in establishing whether the car had this fault in it when sold.

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

The warranty information should be on your receipt. I picked up a ten year old car recently and it specifically mentioned "3 month warranty, engine and gearbox only".

If its not written down, then you have no comeback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Spocker wrote: »
    The warranty information should be on your receipt. I picked up a ten year old car recently and it specifically mentioned "3 month warranty, engine and gearbox only".

If its not written down, then you have no comeback
    What if, hypothetically - it just said "6 month warranty" on a reciept. Does that mean its a full warranty automatically or is there some comeback?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

• Moderators Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭Spocker

Max Power1 wrote: »
    What if, hypothetically - it just said "6 month warranty" on a reciept. Does that mean its a full warranty automatically or is there some comeback?

Then, hypothetically, you'd have a full warranty, for 6 months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Q2 deals with 2nd hand cars;
    http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/

A second-hand car would, however, be expected to have some wear and tear. Therefore obtaining redress may be difficult; for example, the age and mileage on your car will be taken into account.

The age and mileage will be taken into account, and a head gasket problems on a 12 year old car would not be unheard of.

The heads in them went due to having the cr@p driven out of them, have a 97 one outside and while the head is weeping a little it has never given trouble.

Not necessarily. At least three of the people I know it happened to were owners from new and serviced regularly. In all cases went around 65-70k and were older drivers who were definitely not the type to drive a car hard!
    All 99's within in a 30 mile radius of each other all bought in the same dealer.
    Two others plus mine again same mileage all second owners had the same - mine blew so hard the car almost caught fire no warning no symptoms.
    To paraphrase Barry Scott - Bang! - And the Engine's Gone!

Advertisement