Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help: Fraud by the Vet- the guards be involved/solicitor?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

kopfan77 wrote: »
    thebullkf wrote: »
    bear with me as there are a few issues to deal with..

why do people do the things they do?

i worked with a guy who stole his lunch every day in local shop..

why?

who knows...maybe its as simple as ...cos he could.

maybe its become natural for him ..
    i can only guess, and my guess is he's been getting away witrh it so long he's become careless .

+1.

i agree.Guards have said it doesn't constitute fraud.--{rather a mix up}
    as one put it.. ".. sure its only a dog..."

Sounds like the options are running out....this is where Id be seriously considering going to the press if all of the above are washing their hands of it

unfortunately its not my decision to make.:(

People don't like being informers in this country and people don't like informers especially if it's your fellow work colleague...

+1.

but i honestly hand-on-heart couldn't not inform if i knew....

its a terrible situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Orla K wrote: »
    Id just be worried that I would end up being held accountable for what was said, and to what end a you would use the information provided.

What would be the problem in being accountable provided one has told the truth. Vets have to be accountable & they should carry malpractice insurance. We want to see Vets as people who have taken up their profession out of a love for animals & as a vocation. I suspect that most fit this profile but not all.

Many potential cruelty cases fail because Vets will not give evidence or some will give evidence in support of the accused. We also have Vets that, for example, have puppy farmers as clients or will willing put down healthy dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

From what I can make out of this the Vet somehow lost the dog or let it escape, couldn't find it and paniced so made up a whole ludicrous story about the dog having to be put down and having the microchip details re-registered himself as the dogs new owner to prevent the old man being contacted when it turned up elsewhere . . . .absolutely disgusting!!!! Whats all this bullsh!t about people not wanting to be informers, has no-one got any morals or work-ethics left in this country :mad:

What on earth was he planning on doing with dog when it eventually turned up?!?!?!? Put it too sleep and bury it in his back garden? Or keep it for the next poor sap whose dog he looses :mad: It absolutely astounds me the depths someone will go to and all in the course of protecting his so-called reputation!!!

As for so-called inconistancies and it just not adding up, I believe the OP has explained this to death, how on earth, or why on earth would anyone want to make this up?? :(

The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Just to add as it would appear all other avenues have been exhausted as has been said before, next stop is RTE and national newspapers. Or at least threaten this to the VCI. It is in the publics interest to know about this!

I'm aware it's not in your control but I would strongly urge the old man to do this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

Discodog wrote: »
    What would be the problem in being accountable provided one has told the truth. Vets have to be accountable & they should carry malpractice insurance. We want to see Vets as people who have taken up their profession out of a love for animals & as a vocation. I suspect that most fit this profile but not all.

Many potential cruelty cases fail because Vets will not give evidence or some will give evidence in support of the accused. We also have Vets that, for example, have puppy farmers as clients or will willing put down healthy dogs.

If I was a vet I wouldn't feel comfortable with the possibility of being accountable for something I said over the internet to someone who's giving me 2nd/3rd hand information. The problem is with information like this passed on and not really knowing whats going on how can another vet say what is the truth.

All I'm saying if I was a vet I wouldn't feel comfortable pming this person where the only reason I can remember reading is because they wanted to pick my brain

If I was a vet I wouldn't feel comfortable with the possibility of being accountable for something I said over the internet to someone who's giving me 2nd/3rd hand information. The problem is with information like this passed on and not really knowing whats going on how can another vet say what is the truth.

All I'm saying if I was a vet I wouldn't feel comfortable pming this person where the only reason I can remember reading is because they wanted to pick my brain

I don't want to labour a point but all a Vet would have to do is be truthful. Therefore they could only speak hypothetically & would qualify this in any written answer. I often contact my Vet to pick her brain - it works better than mine !.

I have also obtained information from Vets, sometimes about other Vets, on a strictly confidential basis & they know that I will respect this. In any event we are all pretty anonymous here so a Vet could comment freely.

I would suggest that the injured party writes a detailed account of events in the form of an affidavit. It should begin with the words "I (name) of (address) make oath & say as follows". They should then get this sworn which will not cost much. Send a copy of the affidavit with a covering letter to the head of the Vet Practice. The letter should make it clear that the Vet has 14 days to provide a satisfactory explanation together with their proposals for redress otherwise a summons will be issued.

I would add a paragraph along the lines of "In the event of the Plaintiff failing to respond to this correspondence within 14 days I reserve the right to publicise this matter as I feel that it is the public interest of other potential clients".

I don't want to labour a point but all a Vet would have to do is be truthful. Therefore they could only speak hypothetically & would qualify this in any written answer. I often contact my Vet to pick her brain - it works better than mine !.

I have also obtained information from Vets, sometimes about other Vets, on a strictly confidential basis & they know that I will respect this. In any event we are all pretty anonymous here so a Vet could comment freely.

I would suggest that the injured party writes a detailed account of events in the form of an affidavit. It should begin with the words "I (name) of (address) make oath & say as follows". They should then get this sworn which will not cost much. Send a copy of the affidavit with a covering letter to the head of the Vet Practice. The letter should make it clear that the Vet has 14 days to provide a satisfactory explanation together with their proposals for redress otherwise a summons will be issued.

I would add a paragraph along the lines of "In the event of the Plaintiff failing to respond to this correspondence within 14 days I reserve the right to publicise this matter as I feel that it is the public interest of other potential clients".

Yes a vet would just have to be truthful, but the problem is that a situation like this is I can see it being all too easy with for someone question the vet in such a way that it would almost put words in their mouth, it still may be the truth but not the entire one.
    But saying that I have no idea what this person wants to ask, which I think is another block to stop someone pming them.

I'm just going to quote this bit again(it's easier)
    The thing is a vet here may not think that a pm they send is strictly confidential and the person will have proof of a conversation.
    Another thing boards isn't anonymous, it's quite easy to find out alot of information about people here. For instance I volunteer in an animal shelter, I don't think I've ever mentioned the name, although I probably have one or twice, I don't mention where I'm living too much but have before and in no time if people put the effort in they would be able to find out, if they put enough effort in they would be able to find my facebook page and my full name.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm amazed that the gardaí won't get involved; it's theft pure and simple.

At the very least the owner might want to get in contact with a solicitor and look into bringing a civil case against the vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I agree with Orla K here, if I was a vet I wouldn't pm someone on an internet forum about something like this. Its hearsay, its not even the OP's dog, its a neighbour's. I love the internet, and I love forums, but I'm also wary of them, and wouldn't be drawn into something like this with someone I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

kylith wrote: »

At the very least the owner might want to get in contact with a solicitor and look into bringing a civil case against the vet.
    this is the op,s friend we are being told about
    maybe the op is not hearing the full story and the vet innocent in this case
    i cannot beleive a vet would do this,
    i would be inclined to see the vets side and find out both sides

...all the replies.

I haven't had the time to respond in kind so apologies if i'm a little late in returning :o.

+1.

altough i didn't know about the puppy farm bit...s'pose i never really though about it.

From what I can make out of this the Vet somehow lost the dog or let it escape, couldn't find it and paniced so made up a whole ludicrous story about the dog having to be put down and having the microchip details re-registered himself as the dogs new owner to prevent the old man being contacted when it turned up elsewhere . . . .absolutely disgusting!!!! Whats all this bullsh!t about people not wanting to be informers, has no-one got any morals or work-ethics left in this country :mad:

What on earth was he planning on doing with dog when it eventually turned up?!?!?!? Put it too sleep and bury it in his back garden? Or keep it for the next poor sap whose dog he looses :mad: It absolutely astounds me the depths someone will go to and all in the course of protecting his so-called reputation!!!

As for so-called inconistancies and it just not adding up, I believe the OP has explained this to death, how on earth, or why on earth would anyone want to make this up?? :(

The whole thing makes me sick to my stomach!

+1 again. it beggars belief.:mad:

Just to add as it would appear all other avenues have been exhausted as has been said before, next stop is RTE and national newspapers. Or at least threaten this to the VCI. It is in the publics interest to know about this!

I'm aware it's not in your control but I would strongly urge the old man to do this.

i have....repeatedly.

why not?....its a forum to discuss pet issues:confused:

because we all assume that what we're told is the truth-i'm telling the truth,i assume you are too....why would i think otherwise,why would a vet think otherwise?
    i don't understand your stance on this.

a PM is not a legally binding statement once clarified thats its only an opinion being expressed.

All i asked for was advice.

Yes a vet would just have to be truthful, but the problem is that a situation like this is I can see it being all too easy with for someone question the vet in such a way that it would almost put words in their mouth, it still may be the truth but not the entire one.
    But saying that I have no idea what this person wants to ask, which I think is another block to stop someone pming them.

I'm just going to quote this bit again(it's easier)
    The thing is a vet here may not think that a pm they send is strictly confidential and the person will have proof of a conversation.
    Another thing boards isn't anonymous, it's quite easy to find out alot of information about people here. For instance I volunteer in an animal shelter, I don't think I've ever mentioned the name, although I probably have one or twice, I don't mention where I'm living too much but have before and in no time if people put the effort in they would be able to find out, if they put enough effort in they would be able to find my facebook page and my full name.

1) WTF???

2) i asked for advice,so i could make some sense of the situation.

3) i'm sure you'vementioned this thread to other people in the animal shelter,do your comments here reflect their sentiments?

{i only ask out of curiosity,in my eyes the more opinions the better}

kylith wrote: »

i've already suggested it..

thanks for your comment though;)

ISDW wrote: »
    I agree with Orla K here, if I was a vet I wouldn't pm someone on an internet forum about something like this. Its hearsay, its not even the OP's dog, its a neighbour's. I love the internet, and I love forums, but I'm also wary of them, and wouldn't be drawn into something like this with someone I don't know.

isn't anything you've not experienced,or seen personally- also heresay???

fair enough,thanks also for your comment,but i don't understand your reasoning.

goat2 wrote: »
    i would be inclined to see the vets side and find out both sides[/QUOTE

did you read the OP-whole thread?

the Vet is not innocent.

the vet is guilty .

unfortunately the owner is just happy to have his best pal back.

also certain elements, i have changed for safety's sake.

..many thanks but the dogs owner is reluctant to press this case,i really appreciate your PM's,and will if i can disclose the whole story.

thank you:)

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭imokyrok

What is despicable is that the vet charged the man. They must have known that that at least was a fraud whatever about the circumstances which preceded it. They charged the man for a cremation they knew hadn't taken place - and the Gardaí will do nothing! GUBU territory. I'd love a clue as to the general area just so I can be confident I'm well away from whatever unscrupulous individual was involved.

why not?....its a forum to discuss pet issues:confused:

because we all assume that what we're told is the truth-i'm telling the truth,i assume you are too....why would i think otherwise,why would a vet think otherwise?
    i don't understand your stance on this.

a PM is not a legally binding statement once clarified thats its only an opinion being expressed.

All i asked for was advice.

It's not a legally binding statement but I would be worried that it would end up being in a legal situation, or with someone(who's not directly involved) looking for me to tell a judge what should have happened when the information of the entire event was giving to me by a 3rd person over the internet. It's nothing about the truth, more the extent of knowledge I would be getting, I don't think I could comment unless I got all the information available, I think alot of people here picked up on something not being right with the story and didn't believe you but as you said you changed some things with it and it for me anyway just didn't sit right. I also wondered why pm why not just look for advice from vets in the thread, if it was just for advice I couldn't see a problem with that. So if I was a vet I would just not feel comfortable pming you.

1) WTF???

2) i asked for advice,so i could make some sense of the situation.

3) i'm sure you'vementioned this thread to other people in the animal shelter,do your comments here reflect their sentiments?

{i only ask out of curiosity,in my eyes the more opinions the better}

1) I'm one of those people that sits watching/listening carefully to people, I have seen it's all too easy to get people to say what you want to hear, most people don't even know their doing it and I think with this the questions someone would ask would be worded in such a way it would be difficult to answer in a way that explains it properly, and the person will just take the bits from it they want too.

2)As I said earlier, why pm why not in thread:confused:

3)I haven't, if I mentioned every animal thread that I found interesting to them they'd be sick of me talking and we had enough to talk about with the ass and pony coming back from the vet, the kittens that I brought back fostering who had ringworm, the other kittens who had ringworm and the ones that had the flu, the cat who had kittens in my bathroom, the dog with the broken jaw, the kitten who felt weird (something wrong with his rib cage or something) and the dogs/cats/goats/sheep that needed their photo taken and their photos. No real time to think about anything else other than what's happening directly in the place and most of the time it's just you and {insert animal type here} alone.

I just think if you were more open, people would feel more comfortable pming you and you may get a vet pming you too, but after 4 pages, I don't know if it's too late(will they still be reading this)

the Vet is not innocent.

the vet is guilty .

I was just looking back over this but guilty of what exactly?
    I know fraud but how is the vet guilty of fraud?

Also have you gotten legal advice from a professional?
    I know the owner doesn't care anymore and is just happy the dog's alive but I'd be curious as to what they'd say.

(if this post doesn't make sense it's because I'm tired and putting in the completely wrong words/letters for some things)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Ancient Astronaut

whilst no doubt there are Vet's using Boards.ie none have contacted me.Neither has anyone that works directly in Vets...
    I find that strange.

I don't find this strange at all.
    In my experience,Vets will never give/offer advise without charging you for it.
    I find it strange people are still telling you to contact the VCI,especially after seeing in the BBC program how useless these organisations really are.
    It has been proven time and time again the toothless VCI (in Eire) and RCVS (Royal College of Veterinary surgeons in UK) are powerless when it comes to crunch.
    If the man that this has happened to and the dog that has had to suffer through this too,is not willing to take this any further,can you please Name and Shame then.
    Thanks for sharing this in its rightful place.
    The public domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

goat2 wrote: »
    i would be inclined to see the vets side and find out both sides

Then you maybe need to take off your rose coloured glasses where vets are concerned. It is totally credible to many of us who have had bad experiecnes with vets...

It's not a legally binding statement but I would be worried that it would end up being in a legal situation, or with someone(who's not directly involved) looking for me to tell a judge what should

that whole sentence doesn't make sense.
    if you agree its not legally binding-how .."would it end up being in a legal situation.."??

and why would some who's not involved look for you to tell a judge anything?

It's nothing about the truth, more the extent of knowledge I would be getting, I don't think I could comment unless I got all the information available,

:confused:...i've given you a lot of info. i've declared its the truth.what more do you want?
    *btw you've commented a lot already*

[
    I think alot of people here picked up on something not being right with the story and didn't believe you but as you said you changed some things with it and it for me anyway just didn't sit right.

a lot of people??

so you doubt the validity of my version of events?

I also wondered why pm why not just look for advice from vets in the thread, if it was just for advice I couldn't see a problem with that. So if I was a vet I would just not feel comfortable pming you.

i asked for PM so a vet might actually discuss this with me.

if they haven't PM'd,what makes you think
    they'd discuss it on thread?

1) I'm one of those people that sits watching/listening carefully to people, I have seen it's all too easy to get people to say what you want to hear, most people don't even know their doing it and I think with this the questions someone would ask would be worded in such a way it would be difficult to answer in a way that explains it properly, and the person will just take the bits from it they want too.

we can't watch or listen to anybody on boards.
    you read.

and you believe/don't believe or just don't care.-i understand you not believing it,it sounds unbelievable..
    but i assure you.

its the truth.
    2)As I said earlier, why pm why not in thread:confused:

answered already.

3)I haven't, if I mentioned every animal thread that I found interesting to them they'd be sick of me talking and we had enough to talk about with the ass and pony coming back from the vet, the kittens that I brought back fostering who had ringworm, the other kittens who had ringworm and the ones that had the flu, the cat who had kittens in my bathroom, the dog with the broken jaw, the kitten who felt weird (something wrong with his rib cage or something) and the dogs/cats/goats/sheep that needed their photo taken and their photos. No real time to think about anything else other than what's happening directly in the place and most of the time it's just you and {insert animal type here} alone.

you see , this part i find hard to believe-you've more or less told me that you don't believe a word of my story,and it didn't sit right with you. and yet you haven't mentioned it to anyone else... ,even in passing???

I just think if you were more open, people would feel more comfortable pming you and you may get a vet pming you too, but after 4 pages, I don't know if it's too late(will they still be reading this)

:rolleyes:what would you like???? how much more open can i be??

more to the point,would you believe me?

I was just looking back over this but guilty of what exactly?
    I know fraud but how is the vet guilty of fraud?

are you for feckin real:mad:

(if this post doesn't make sense it's because I'm tired and putting in the completely wrong words/letters for some things)

some of it doesn't....but hey;):D

• Advertisement

Vets are human & can mess up like anyone else. The key is how one handles the problem & history has shown that even professionals are capable of making horrendous decisions. We have all seen cases of experienced professionals doing inexplicable things & then making things worse by their efforts at covering up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 stamps

Hello,
    I work in a Vet Clinic and have done for the last 3 years! Im staying Anon. Im shocked I have to say!

Ok Step 1 - Who is the Microchip Company? Animark? Fido?
    Once u know You can call and enquire as to when and who requested a
    change to the mirochip details, and why was It done without a written request or checked with the Previous Owner.

They will have the old owners details, U must have the Micorchip Number.
    that chip could be changed in Minutes if requested by a vet.

Step 2 - No Euthanasia can be done without the consent of the owner in writing, that alone is malpractice.
    As is Cremation without permission.

It does not happen in 1 day it takes time for that process 1 or 2 wks at least.

U have a receipt for Cremation, call ask for all the details, type of animal.
    When was is sent etc.

Something here eally Does not Add up, there is serious crossed wires. But should absolutely be looked into.

My Advice - Get Busy, Get off Boards, and get onto the Microchip company and crematorium ASAP.

There U will get ur Answers.

It needs Facts not assumptions

Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So what happened with the micro chip route? If the dog was in the mans name, then in the Vets name and now back again in the mans name, I presume theres a bit of a paper trail there which can be used as leverage or evidence of some sort?? Why is the owner just letting it go?

I'd be going to a different guard, or perhaps an animal rights lobby group to champion the case

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

hi,

I've a slighty off-topic question, which is do vets always send animals for cremation if they die at the surgery?

We recently lost our dearly beloved Norwegian Forest Cat quite suddenly the day before he was due to come home from the vets, and in my more suspicious (read that as wishing it wasn't true) moments suspected a similar story to the OP's. (The fact the cat was found deceased on a Monday morning didn't help quell my worries about weekend neglect contributing too, if not kidnap)
    The vet agreed to take care of the body, and my mother was so distraught she got someone else to pick up the cat's things and hasn't been back since.

Its unlikely I realise, though this thread has raised some interesting points. How do you challenge a professional in your moment of grief? Could this be a once off occurence, or something that might happen regularly?

Anyway, as I said, I'd just be interested in knowing the due process when deaths do occur. I've been away for a while from where the cat lived, so couldn't really contest it, but it would have been nice if he had conducted an autopsy as well to have some closure (it was a mystery illness).

stamps wrote: »
    Hello,
    I work in a Vet Clinic and have done for the last 3 years! Im staying Anon. Im shocked I have to say!

change to the mirochip details, and why was It done without a written request or checked with the Previous Owner.

thats what happened, it was put into the vets name.

Step 2 - No Euthanasia can be done without the consent of the owner in writing, that alone is malpractice.

When was is sent etc.

Something here eally Does not Add up, there is serious crossed wires. But should absolutely be looked into.

there's a receipt from the VETS ....

My Advice - Get Busy, Get off Boards, and get onto the Microchip company and crematorium ASAP.

Good Luck

i appreciate you taking the time to post.
    i have been busy.
    its not my dog.
    dog is back with its owner.
    dog's happy.
    Owners happy.
    I have all the facts.-i'm just threading carefully.
    for all i know the vet could've posted here already.

*needless to say many customers have since left his 'practice'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

stamps wrote: »
    Hello,

When was is sent etc.

Good Luck

step 2 abovei have had to have my pets put down in the past, a harrowing experience,but i have always been there with the pet on my arm as the injection is administered, as it is less stressful for my much loved animal, no need for written statements, i do feel awful afterwards, as my pet trust me and here i am doing this, the guilt is terriblebut i would have it no other way,i want to make sure they pass away peacefully, and not with strangers only, keeping it easier on my pet to the end,they are all here in my front garden, still with us, no cremeating or anything, just near the roses and shrubs that they once sheltered from the sun under.and i still miss and love all them, rabbits, hamsters, guinea pig, dogs, and cats

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

smunchkins wrote: »
    hi,

I've a slighty off-topic question, which is do vets always send animals for cremation if they die at the surgery?

The vet agreed to take care of the body, and my mother was so distraught she got someone else to pick up the cat's things and hasn't been back since.

Anyway, as I said, I'd just be interested in knowing the due process when deaths do occur. I've been away for a while from where the cat lived, so couldn't really contest it, but it would have been nice if he had conducted an autopsy as well to have some closure (it was a mystery illness).

To answer yoour question, No, unless you request the animal to be cremated then it is just diposed of and you do not get it back.

Cremation costs a fair bit so unless you actually specified you want the dog/cat cremated then you do not see the body again and the vet just gets rid of the body.

Autopsies would only be carried out at the owners request im sure, and as these would cost a lot too, unless the owner specifies they want it done it wouldnt be done.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 traci doyle

just because someone likes animals does not make them an angel....come on get a grip ppl im sure even gangsters love their dogs.I hate that crap oh it must be a mix up a vet couldnt do that....why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Well,

Any dog I have ever had has been microchipped.

You can't change the details of ownership without the registration code (at least thats what fido.ie call it)...i.e. the PIN number.

If there has indeed been a change of ownership registered then the owner of the dog should go to the gardai and the veterinary governing body immediately, and also seek to reclaim any fees paid to the vet (yes a solicitor might be useful in that regard).

I must have missed the bit where the OP said that his friend gave the vet the registration code for the microchip though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Reloc8 wrote: »
    Well,

Any dog I have ever had has been microchipped.

You can't change the details of ownership without the registration code (at least thats what fido.ie call it)...i.e. the PIN number.

If there has indeed been a change of ownership registered then the owner of the dog should go to the gardai and the veterinary governing body immediately, and also seek to reclaim any fees paid to the vet (yes a solicitor might be useful in that regard).

I must have missed the bit where the OP said that his friend gave the vet the registration code for the microchip though.

Vets can get new codes for chips, it happens a lot with stray dogs. If a dog is picked up as a stray and its chip isn't registered, which unfortunately happens an awful lot of times, then the chip would be totally useless unless it could then be registered to the new owner. So vets can change the details on a chip no problem. However, there would still be a record of that change, and it would be obvious if any wrongdoing had been going on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement