Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

80 euro again or not!

Options
  • 10-07-2010 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

guys i have currently got 2 shotguns which i licenced back 4 months ago. Im now thinking of selling one shotgun and replacing this with a.17 rifle. Can i change from a shotgun to a rifle on my current licence or does my licence die when i sell the shotgun and a new licence and 80 euro required.
    hope this makes sense cause it does in my head!!!!!
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

there was a thread about this a few days ago, heres the link;)

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055960932

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

You cannot substitute a shotgun license for a rifle license. Its an FCA1 and new application for the rifle including €80. Then an FCA2 to cancel the shotgun license.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭chrisdolan11

thanks for clearing that up thought as much more money for them

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

thanks for clearing that up thought as much more money for them
    To be fair, it's always been like that even before the changes. It was meant to be that way and for a reasonable reason - going from a shotgun to a rifle or vice versa means you've a whole new body of assumptions about safety, and just because you can use one safely doesn't mean you can use the other safely. For example, going from shotgun to rifle, maybe you haven't suitable shooting land for a rifle but do for the shotgun.
    And with the new stuff in the law about competency requirements, there's no way you could say that knowing how to use one means you're safe on the other, there are just too many differences in the small, day-to-day things that could bite you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Sparks wrote: »
    To be fair, it's always been like that even before the changes. It was meant to be that way and for a reasonable reason - going from a shotgun to a rifle or vice versa means you've a whole new body of assumptions about safety, and just because you can use one safely doesn't mean you can use the other safely. For example, going from shotgun to rifle, maybe you haven't suitable shooting land for a rifle but do for the shotgun.
    And with the new stuff in the law about competency requirements, there's no way you could say that knowing how to use one means you're safe on the other, there are just too many differences in the small, day-to-day things that could bite you.

So what's your point sparks? the powers that be logical way of dealing with moving from one shotgun to rifle or vice versa is to charge another €80.

The Gardai will accept any sort of a competency cert from what I can see.

I personally can't see how charging chrisdolan11 €80 for going from a shotgun to rifle is going to do anything for his competency, do you?

• Advertisement

My point is that if the complaint is over the fee alone, there's a problem on our end.
    We already know there's a problem with the competency certification on the AGS end.
    And I think we can all be agreed that knowing how to use a rifle, a pistol or a shotgun does not adequately prepare you to shoot any of the other two without some prior instruction. They're just too different.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Sparks wrote: »
    My point is that if the complaint is over the fee alone, there's a problem on our end.
    We already know there's a problem with the competency certification on the AGS end.
    And I think we can all be agreed that knowing how to use a rifle, a pistol or a shotgun does not adequately prepare you to shoot any of the other two without some prior instruction. They're just too different.

Sure won't yer man in the shop show you how to use it before you go out the door.

Sure won't yer man in the shop show you how to use it before you go out the door.
    I think I just heard a few liability solicitors' ears perk up...

Advertisement