Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roundabout off N24/M9 over bypass

• 10-07-2010 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Has anybody else experienced meeting a car going around this in the wrong direction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Yes, I did meet some idiot driving the wrong way on it. What the hell is wrong with these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

people are just thick i,ve come across this a few times, its like they,ve never been on a dual carriageway or something!!!! have also witnessed a few people goin down the slipway heading towards the toll and actually turn around go back the way and up the other slipway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I think advance sign posting and road markings around the Waterford by pass leave a lot to be desired...that said I've only gone to KK once and over the new bridge once but still....and yes we will always have the fools.

Last week a mature lady went round the 'inner' roundabout at tesco ardkeen
    the wrong way and got annoyed when this was pointed out.

there's hope for me yet:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

Just saw someone today reversing back up the slip road down to the toll bridge with the hazards on, almost regular occurrence at this stage I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

Yip from what everybody is saying this is not unique and at this rate of occurrences something nasty is likely to happen. The current road layout, markings and signage seems to be bringing out the worse in driving behaviours. KKCC and/or the NRA need to re-look at situation and improve the signage at least

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

If anyone is caught driving the wrong way round a roundabout or reversing up a slip road they should get a 2 year ban imo, and we should find a way of making them sit a second driving test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

If anyone is caught driving the wrong way round a roundabout or reversing up a slip road they should get a 2 year ban imo, and we should find a way of making them sit a second driving test

Agreed 100%

I witnessed an idiot reversing back on the bypass because he misses the exit for Butlerstown. Absolutely lethal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

A few months ago I was coming from New Ross towards the new bridge (probably about 500m from the first exit for Waterford, just before the river) on the bypass and was overtaking a lorry with some cars behind me also overtaking when to my alarm I saw a car coming straight for me. Almost got rear ended as I had to stop so quickly.
    Some day this really will result in a nasty crash. I was so annoyed with myself afterwards though for forgetting to take a note of the registration of the idiots car. Dunno if the Gardai would have done anything but I'd have felt better by trying anyway! ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I brought this up a few weeks back on another thread and sent an e-mail to the NRA. Copy of e-mail is below along with the reply.

This is the tale of two signs, one that is missing and one that is there but should not be.
    I am talking about the double roundabout junction between the Waterford City bypass and the road leading to Waterford {south} just pass the new WIT campus.
    First you have no direction sign on the first {city side} roundabout directing traffic to Dublin/Rosslare.
    As you enter the roundabout the first exit is for Cork/Dungarvan and is clearly marked. The second exit goes across the bypass and is for Dublin/Rosslare but there is no direction sign here so traffic not familiar with the road ends up driving around the roundabout lost.

Second problem is with a sign not needed.
    On the second roundabout {river side} there are two exits for traffic. First is the Dublin/Rosslare down ramp towards the new bridge and the second is for Waterford {south} across the bypass. Problem is on the first exit, the Dublin/Rosslare ramp; the direction sign indicates Waterford also. I know the reason for this....all direction signs on the bypass direct traffic for Waterford to the large roundabout north of the new bridge because this is the designated entry for the City.
    This makes no sense however because the only traffic on the second {riverside} roundabout has come from only two places. One from the west Cork/Dungarvan side up ramp and came up that ramp because they wanted to get to Waterford or Tramore etc.. Having a sign on this roundabout directing traffic to Waterford down the down ramp to the new bridge is crazy. This traffic has just left the bypass and does not want to go back down on to it again.
    The other traffic on the roundabout is from Waterford {south} and clearly is not trying to get to Waterford. So this sign is not needed and is in fact causing confusion.

As someone who uses this junction every day I can tell you it is causing confusion all the time. I see people going around in circles on the first roundabout because they can’t find the exit for Dublin, and cars stopping on the down ramp of the second roundabout and even reversing back up it because they obviously realise they have gone wrong.
    This is an accident waiting to happen all because of one missing and one too many signs.

Reply from NRA

Dear ********

I refer to your recent email to the Road Safety Authority regarding signage on the Waterford City Bypass. A copy of your email has been referred to the Authority for attention.

The Authority is currently reviewing the signage on the Waterford City Bypass, having regard to issues raised, to identify any potential enhancements or amendments required. Local road signage contracts to install signage to reflect the presence of the new N25 have also been procured and implemented by the local authority and these are also subject to review. As you might appreciate, it is vital that this exercise is completed as a single consolidated process to avoid any subsequent error or duplication. It is anticipated that any changes considered necessary will be implemented in the coming months. The issue raised in your email will be considered as part of this process.

Regards,
    Annamarie McNally
    Programme Administrator
    National Roads Authority, St. Martin's House,
    Waterloo Road, Dublin 4.
    Tel. 00 353 1 660 2511.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Annamarie McNally

Good I have the name of someone to blame when I will be involved in a crash on that road. It's lethal, even by second guessing the car in front and letting them back into your lane you are still taking you life into your own hands. I have have had so many near misses there is no point in reporting them.

The signage on the m9 in contrst is much better, with 'wrong way' signs on each slip road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

even heading for the main roundabout from newrath to get onto the by pass is deadly i use to daily getting home from work across the bridge and am always in the left lane and the amount of times i,ve experienced drivers in front of me at the last min before the roundabout suddenly change lanes is unreal there is definately goin to be a accident soon

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

I had a p**ck in a Merc pass me on the slip road off the N24 at the roundabout before you turn right before you go over the bypass. It was unbelieveable, I think its single lane, right?
    Also, keep your eye out as you keep left on the next round about on the other side of the bypass. The grass is overgrown and cars tend to drive straight through from the bridge side slip road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Just this morning I saw a car approach the toll booth on the wrong side of the dual carriageway coming from the N24 junction!!! That means they went all the way from there, over the bridge, without even having the common sense to turn around, what on earth is wrong with some people??? :confused:

Advertisement