Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

problem with xbox live , IP address error?

• 10-07-2010 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Ive recently just got broadband and am trying to set up my xbox live again. I used to be with eircom and just had an eircom router that worked fine with my xbox.

Now I have a small black modem and its connected to my eircom netopia router. Every time I try to go on xbox live the connection fails and it tells me that there is a problem with an IP address??

can anyone help me with this???

Comments

Which router is the xbox plugged into? As you mentioned 2.

Is the other router acting as a wireless access point? For other devices in your home, such as your laptop.

What exact error is the xbox displaying?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

How old is the eircom router? Mine is about three yrs and I'm having the same problem with a laptop. The network adapter is picking up the router, I enter the WEP but it won't connect to it cos it won't renew the ip adress. I've been told they don't have much of a lifespan, but I was told that by a bloke trying to sell me utv broadband!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭moretothegirl

thanks so much for those replies.

i have to apologise firstly and admit that I'm not great with computers or terms related to computers!

At the moment I have two boxes for my internet.... (my internet is with Permanet by the way). I have a small black box which is connected to my satellite dish outside. I think this is the modem? Then to make the internet, wireless, I have my old Eircom Netopia router.

I am actually connecting my xbox up wirelessly, but I brought the xbox up to the router and connected it directly to my modem with a cable and the same message came up so the problem is not with my wireless connection.

The error states, "can't obtain IP address from the router or modem"

My router is about 3 years old or so but I don't think thats the problem because I used it in my old house for xbox live with no problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I assume your computer is connected fine ?

Did you try resetting the settings in the xbox and running the tests on it?

there was another thread here the other day that might be worth a look through for hints http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055961858

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

with eircom you might need to change your firewall setting to low security.

• Advertisement

with eircom you might need to change your firewall setting to low security.

How do I do this...

calex71 wrote: »
    I assume your computer is connected fine ?

Did you try resetting the settings in the xbox and running the tests on it?

there was another thread here the other day that might be worth a look through for hints http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055961858

Thanks... I had a look at that but everything seems to indicate that i need to log onto my routers homepage 192.168.1.254 but it wont work for me here for some reason? i think if i could get onto this homepage i would be able to sort the xbox problem.

anyone have any idea why this page won't load for me? could there be a firewall or something preventing it and if so can anyone advice me how to overcome this??

I was meant to send this earlier.
    The Default gateway will be your router, so you can enter that info to see firewall settings etc., I am too lazy to edit what I typed earlier, maybe I will regret it, off to bed now.

Original unsent message below

Apologies of hand on this end, I am having a beer on this end and I have not got an xbox beside me to furnish you with the correct path of instructions.

Maybe manually entering the IP address might help,
    which would have to be done by the settings section within your xbox, which I am afraid you will have to find yourself.

there will be 3 sections to enter

IP Address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 (usually this in home)
    Default Gateway xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

To get this info, usually you can access your router (I am not to familiar with the router you have as they are all different), though in this case on your computer, which I presume is running Microsoft windows, type the following to obtain the above info, and what ever value appears in the default gateway will be your router's access page which you can access via your browser, just type in that value) , otherwise proceed below.

IN win 7
    Go to the start > in the search box type "cmd" (without quotes) > then type "ipconfig" without quotes.

This will bring up the network settings of the adapter on your laptop connected to your network, so we will take some of the info from this (probably best to write out for when entering into your xbox).

an example of what you might see
    copy the following info which is displayed on your screen

(the following values are examples)
    ipv4 address 192.168.0.9
    subnet mask 255.255.255.0
    default gateway 192.168.0.1 (this is your router talking to the internet) (and router access page)

now the only change which you will have to do is in the ipv4 address, change it to a higher value, so from the above example 192.168.0.9 will be 192.168.0.10 , as your pc is xxx.xxx.0.9, you will be assigning your xbox the unique address of xxx.xxx.0.10.

Then to your xbox settings armed with that info, and enter it and hopefully it will work.

If your asked for dns info and cant access your router, throw in these if asked, there open dns settings 208.67.222.222 & 208.67.220.220

I hate microsoft and xbox's, cause they are loud and so difficult to open, (linux,bsd user, though studying for a ms exam in 2 weeks, ech), and sorry the long useless information, watching match at same time.

Something is telling me, I am going to regret this post.

Night.

Thanks NoDrama for all that info.

I reached a problem though because when I typed in iconfig into the command I got this message
    "iconfig is not recognised as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

You should be typing ipconfig.

You have iconfig.

• Advertisement

thats embarrassing !

ok so I did all that but when I entered the info to my xbox I got the messasge "can't connect to your network hardware using a static IP address"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

In rare cases some people have to enter their ppoe settings in advanced settings on the xbox.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You should have typed "ipconfig" but to be honest you dont need to do any of those steps.

If you were using your Eircom router before and as a modem at the same time then then the chances are you still have the old settings for PPOE or for the IP address still setup on our xbox to match.

First step would be to go in to your xbox and set everything to auto and to remove an PPOE settings. All this can be done in the network settings on your xbox.

Try connect at this stage with everything set to auto and the default and see how you get on. By the way you should try and sort the issues using an Ethernet cable first just to get connected then try get it working wirelessly so connect your xbox to your router while doing the above.

If not then open up internet explorer and put in 192.168.1.254 in place of the address (no www or anything) and this should bring up the login for the router. If you go through the options look for firewall and set it to low.
    If you cant login to the router then post the make model in case yours has a different login ip address.

Post back and will try help you more than after you try the above and report how you got on.

Thanks everybody for all your help. The problem was solved in the end by restoring the xbox back to its factory settings!!

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Truthfully I think you are going to have a problem with this and will need a new wireless router.

I have a funny feeling that your Satelitte modem gives the device it connects to a static IP, DSL routers aren't designed to share out ip address when connected to a modem like that and you will have to get a new cable wireless router.

The xbox may have started working due to the fact that there was no other computer trying to connect and when you now try and connect the xbox and computer at the same time you may run into problems again.

However if the satellite modem is actually a router you may occasionally get access and other times not if both the eircom router and satellite router are running as a DHCP server i.e. the device that hands out ip addresses, and on the same network. If the eircom router hands out the IP address it won't work but if the satellite router does it will work.

However as I don't know exactly how the satellite modem actually runs I can't really say for sure how anything is working

Advertisement