Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leg Shaving

• 10-07-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

So how do u do yours ?

Personally i hate having the shave them so i'm wondering how does everyone else here shave theirs. i usually use a clipper thing and then go over with a wet razor, but find they're very itchy afterwards though.

Tried Immac years ago and well it didn't really work too well, ended up having the shave them anyway. Never tried waxing dunno if i'd be into the pain :eek:

Oh and 2 weeks ago i tried putting shaving foam on them and shaving that way but it took me nearly an hr to do them !!

So how does anyone else do theirs and what have u found to be the most comfortable and quickest way to shave them ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Wrong forum. I hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭Zorba

Wrong forum. I hope!

Err cycling forum and cyclist shave their legs ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Bit of shaving foam/get. Fast strokes with light pressure. Oooer.

Those girly razors (Gilette Venus?) are quite good as it's pretty much impossible to cut yourself.

Only take a couple of minutes if done regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Tongue in cheek a little. Im not into racing really but does a shaved leg produce any marked improvement on aerodynamics? Just wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I don't shave my legs but I don't see how it would take you an hour with foam, it takes girls 5 minutes in the shower, assuming the hair is short enough already. It's not all that different from shaving your face, and it's only going to be itchy if you don't do it regularly. I've had a beard for a couple of years, and one of the things putting me off shaving it is that it will be itchy for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Tongue in cheek a little. Im not into racing really but does a shaved leg produce any marked improvement on aerodynamics? Just wondering
    I read an article in Cycling Weekly the other week that suggested you would get more aerodynamic benefit from taping back your ears than shaving your legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

No. But then neither does washing, shaving your face or getting your hair cut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

i get the young one next door to do it , she massages them first .

Lumen wrote: »
    Bit of shaving foam/get. Fast strokes with light pressure. Oooer.

Those girly razors (Gilette Venus?) are quite good as it's pretty much impossible to cut yourself.

Only take a couple of minutes if done regularly.

Wifey tells me them girly razors are crap, men's one are apparently better !

Problem i found with the gel/foam is u can't see where you've shaved and what you've missed.
    I don't shave my legs but I don't see how it would take you an hour with foam, it takes girls 5 minutes in the shower, assuming the hair is short enough already. It's not all that different from shaving your face, and it's only going to be itchy if you don't do it regularly. I've had a beard for a couple of years, and one of the things putting me off shaving it is that it will be itchy for a week.

Yes well when it took me an hr my legs were pretty hairy, was months and months since i shaved them and razor kept clogging up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

It was my understanding that leg-shaving is necessary at the top level of the sport as it allows the legs to be massaged more easily before and after a race. Also allows for easier treatment of cuts/grazes following accidents, helping to reduce the risk of infection.

Don't think aerodynamics is a big part of it at all really. Unless of course you are one very hairy mofo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

As I posted on a similar topic in another forum- I find that if you shave your legs while showering with one of those multi bladed razors then there is no after sting or discomfort to your legs. Be sure to use a hair trap in the outlet though to prevent blockages in the pipework.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

(adopts deep gruff voice)..."I hear this gear's ok"

http://www.veet.ie/veet-in-shower-hair-removal-cream.php

CPL 593H

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I bookmarked this because the "massage/road rash/aero" thing comes up so often in conversation. There is no other reason for amateurs to do it other than looks and a possible psychological edge. One guy said to me after a race that he got on my wheel because "it looked like I knew what I was doing". Joke was on him.
    Looking the Part

In any competition, Williams continued, there's a field of athletes attempting to read where each person ranks. Having clean-shaven legs—thighs flexing, contoured muscles sparkling in the sun—immediately identifies one as core. "Like mirrored sunglasses or carbon-fiber spokes, clean legs promote a slight mystery about you," Williams said.

For serious road cyclists—the most vocal and particular participants in this investigation—legs are an instant identifier, said Jamie Smith, author of Roadie: The Misunderstood World of a Bike Racer (VeloPress, 2008). Smith, a shaver for 22 years, said male legs are the first thing he looks at when showing up for a group bike ride.

"A quick glance determines where you are in the sport," he said. "I know who the serious and safer riders are from their defined tan lines and clean legs."

In a section of his book titled "Do You Really Shave Your Legs?", Smith writes: "In any group of cyclists, a serious Roadie can instantly spot the not-so-serious Roadies. The telltale sign: hairy legs. A cyclist makes a strong statement about his dedication to the sport when he goes against the societal norm and shaves all the hair off his legs."

Not that aerobic athletes shy from bucking societal convention. The same demographic that shaves is known to do other crazy things, too. Like run 50 miles in a day. Or bike around Lake Superior for fun one month.

But the buff guys in Spandex—chests puffed out under jerseys, legs glimmering above athletic shoes—are also an easy butt end to a joke. Just ask Stephen Bullard, a man who for a time wore a one-piece hot pink zebra striped suit to race in triathlons. "The truth hurts, but I admit it," he said.

Today, Bullard's preferred brand of shaver is one his daughter gave him for Father's Day. The Gillette Venus has five blades and a "ribbon of moisture." It comes in pink and teal, and the company tags a slogan on the packaging: "Reveal the goddess in you."

"I keep telling my wife that shaved legs are sexy," Bullard said. "But she remains unconvinced."

Razor and shaving gel, same rules as for your face. Watch the back of the legs, hard to get properly. Rinse with cold water and pat them dry (rubbing will irritate the skin). Then apply a bit of shaving balm from nivea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭levitronix

Worst thing about shaving them is you have to keep shaving them :)

And it does help make your legs look bigger

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

I keep threatening to shave mine, but the wife won't allow it saying I cant have smoother legs than hers!

levitronix wrote: »
    Worst thing about shaving them is you have to keep shaving them :)

i don't shave them during the winter sssssshhhhh

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I have one of these:

Also use the razor on the lower legs to finish off the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Razor and gel. Started recently.
    Makes a huge difference in terms of asthetics. Legs look better and more tanned. For me that is more important than any other reason. Sorry I didnt do it years ago.
    The rain and summer wind feels so much nicer against smooth legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I ran out out the pink disposable things I had been using and resorted to using the gillette fusion I normal reserve for my face. It is much easier and the results are (briefly) smoother. Unfortunately the cost of those bloody razors is prohibitive if you need to do it every other day as I should (but don't).

For those of us who are part wookie the real issue becomes where to stop. Some here have their own solutions (TMI dude T. M. I.) but I'm working on a general fade out rather than the abrupt transition to the hairy boxer-short look.

el tonto wrote: »

And back to the original question what do u use on your legs :)

Seriously though does that foil thing clog up much ? Very tempted to invest in one, for my legs of course :o

• Advertisement

niceonetom wrote: »
    I ran out out the pink disposable things I had been using and resorted to using the gillette fusion I normal reserve for my face. It is much easier and the results are (briefly) smoother. Unfortunately the cost of those bloody razors is prohibitive if you need to do it every other day as I should (but don't).

Shaws and Dunnes had a special offer on a few months ago 12 blades and the razor for €18 odd, not sure if they still have the offer on though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

as pointed out already its nothing to do with aerodynamics. unless your a pro its for vanity or pseudo/placebo performance boost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

If nothing else, it shows off your muscle definition a lot better than hairy legs:D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Never, never, never, never, never.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Lumen wrote: »

As a girl, I beg to differ! I know very very few girls who actually use "girls" razors, you'll rip your legs to shreds with them, plus you'll only get maybe 2 shaves max per blade! Gillette Fusion does the job pretty well, and the blades last way longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 amgelec

I agree. Girly razors are useless and very very pink most of the time. Not very manly for you manly men ;)
    Just stick with the men's ones and you'll be grand

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

Never, never, never, never, never.

get with the program man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

do cyclists try to have skinny arms to be more aerodynamic?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

my wife prefers my wilkinson sword titanium quatro than her gillette venus. says it glides better. i've a braun electic job for my legs but she says that doesn't give a smooth enough cut.

anyway all this talk of shaving legs before a race, bunch of fairies. i'm far too hardcore for that, like stopping to go to the jacks. no do it on the bike. i shave during a race to come in all nice and sparkly :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

jwshooter wrote: »
    get with the program man

I am the programme.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

I used to shave my legs. Then I realised....

The hairs only grew back because I was weak.

HTFU.

10 years later, still silky manly smooth. Just need the occasional flex to expel unwanted hair growth.

DFD.

PS. All the above is absolutely true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

A few tips...

Guys razors are better than lady shaves -buy your blade in bulk from ebay, it makes em quite reasonable.

Trim first with clippers if you're particularly hirsute

I prefer using conditioner instead of shaving foam/gel -you can see where you're going and it gets you nice and smooth

Shave "against the grain" to minimize irritation

When finished, pat dry, and moisturize -though when doing this, make sure that you rub in one direction only, "with the grain" to avoid clogging up pores and getting pimples/ingrown hairs.

Or disregard most of the above and epillate -it's fecking painful, but results last a lot longer!

-Toms views on where to stop can be very pertinent.... a fade is probably the best thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 210 ✭✭damo80

veet shower cream (complete with applicator sponge) is the business. takes matter of minutes to apply and seconds to rub off (use a cloth for this). then a razor for any missed bits.
    also come scented for that special treat:P

A few tips...

Guys razors are better than lady shaves -buy your blade in bulk from ebay, it makes em quite reasonable.

I was looking at them blades on ebay and they didn't seem that cheap, the cheap ones were apparently fakes, maybe i was looking at the wrong ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Whatever way your shaving - different type of razor, in the shower, using shaving foam - you HAVE to moisturise after! Shaving is essentially stripping a surface layer of skin cells off your legs along with the hair. You have to put any old moisturiser on to prevent the itching and dryness.

• Advertisement
Advertisement