Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phone as modem

Options
  • 10-07-2010 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭

thinking of buying a samsung wave from 3. I already have a 3 dongle for my eee laptop, can I use the phone as a modem for my laptop if i purchase the internet add on with my plan? that way I dont have to bother with the dongle.. how effective is using the phone as a modem will it be as good as the dongle? does it run the battery down quickly and what are the speeds like? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭gu10

depends on the phone. the E71 would be as good as a dongle but the E63 will only go to 384/64kbps.

it does drain the battery a lot so itwouldnt be a bad idea to take a spare one and carry it around with your laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

You can tether the Wave to your laptop via WiFi and use it as a modem. The limiting factor in terms of speed is the HSDPA speed of 3.6 mbps. The Wave has pretty good battery performance for a smartphone so the battery performance is going to be amongst the best you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

hmm not sure about the phone ur looking at but i got HD2 and using it as Wifi Hot Spot or Internet Dongle is very handy...kinda says **** u to the dongles :)

mmm if ur using it as a wifi hot spot it drains battery life quick but if u used it as a dongle usb cable should keep it charged...anyway it does on the hd2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

yea went ahead and bought the wave and it works fine as a wifi hotspot

885030794.png

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

sohappy wrote: »
    yea went ahead and bought the wave and it works fine as a wifi hotspot

885030794.png

Did you sign up for the 10gb add on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sohappy

just went with the 1gb addon for the moment, can always change to 10 gb later if I have to,

Advertisement