Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New bike stiff crank!

• 10-07-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭

I picked up a great deal on the net for a new (09 model) Pinarello FP5 in the UK. The guy I bought it from met me in Holyhead today and I put it in a bike bag and brought it home!
    Anyway as I was puting the wheels on and giving it a once over on the bike stand I noticed that the crank is quite stiff to turn - not binding but definately much stiffer than the Shimano cranks and bottom brackets that I use on my mtbs! Is this normal for a new bike or should I get someone to check it out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

RPL1 wrote: »
    I picked up a great deal on the net for a new (09 model) Pinarello FP5 in the UK. The guy I bought it from met me in Holyhead today and I put it in a bike bag and brought it home!
    Anyway as I was puting the wheels on and giving it a once over on the bike stand I noticed that the crank is quite stiff to turn - not binding but definately much stiffer than the Shimano cranks and bottom brackets that I use on my mtbs! Is this normal for a new bike or should I get someone to check it out?

Pinarello, use their own MOST bottom bracket system, these are large press fit bearings. I recall working on one of these bikes, a few years ago. The bike I repaired, had a campagnolo chainset. This featured a pair of alloy adaptor's, press fitted to the campag B/B axle. This older type couldn't be adjusted, to eliminate bearing play.

Firstly, what chainset does your bike have? All the more recently manufactured chainsets, feature a way of pre-loading these press-fit B/B bearings.
    Anyway all these newer chainsets, have more bearing seal drag, than the chainsets of a few years ago.

I hope this helps.

Happy Cycling:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Thanks for the helpful advice SurferDude! The bike has a MOST compact chainset (cranks and chainrings) and an FSA MegaExo bottom bracket. The bottom bracket looks (to me!) like a Shimano Hollowtech bottom bracket but the left crank doesn't have pinch bolts like the Shimano set-up, just one Allen bolt that appears to tighten directly into the axle at 45-50Nm. Everything looks ok but I'm wondering could there be a spacer missing or perhaps overtightened?
    Probably best to take it for a spin and see how it feels?

Advertisement