Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

taken for a spin

Options
  • 10-07-2010 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

recently I spoke to a bus driver who works for a (so called) reputable company in the South East and the story he told me was unbelievable.Whith his full concent i am writing this thread.He told me that he works long hours and regularly is sent to Dublin after morning school runs and sometimes not getting back until 1am maybe 130 and expected in the following morning to do school runs at 8 am.Expected to work overtime on weekends for the minimum wage.He told me he tried to get into Bus Eireann but because of his age(a guess early 50s) and a slight medical condition he didnt get in.I have used this bus company many times and i know hes the frontline gem of their business,yet they decide to USE him.As its a private company theres no union and would not be considered.Is what hes telling me true and is there anyone else could verify his story working in private bus hire?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,466 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Don't bus drivers have to keep a log, like lorry drivers, and isn't there a tachograph (is that what I mean?) on the buses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i drive a truck and have to use a tachograph like every other heavy goods vehicle and bus, what he is doin is illegal and if caught there is hefty fines for both him and his company!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bogs

I will get more details for you but i need to get in contact with him first to get the relevent information.Iappreciate its a very serious matter.and will be in contact.

looksee wrote: »
    Don't bus drivers have to keep a log, like lorry drivers, and isn't there a tachograph (is that what I mean?) on the buses?
    What do you mean by a log

looksee wrote: »
    What do you mean by a Lig?.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

by log, i think he means does the bus driver keep a diary of what hours he does.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

if i was the driver in question, i would make an anonymous phone call or write a letter to the relevant authorities and tell them whats going on. or if he was afraid his hanwriting would be noticed, he could get someone to type it or write it for him. im positive that there is loads he could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

i worked as a lorry driver & there is no proper check on drivers hours in ireland.
    i used start at 7.30am to distribute the load collected in dublin the previous day amongst other vans then i would do deliveries around waterford & on my way back to dublin to collect another load for the next day.
    the earliest id get home used be 10 or 11pm often midnight or 1am.
    that was mon to fri , often then on sat id work until about 1pm.
    i loved the driving but the hours got to me.
    i packed it up , i just could not keep going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

coolvale wrote: »
    i worked as a lorry driver & there is no proper check on drivers hours in ireland.
    i used start at 7.30am to distribute the load collected in dublin the previous day amongst other vans then i would do deliveries around waterford & on my way back to dublin to collect another load for the next day.
    the earliest id get home used be 10 or 11pm often midnight or 1am.
    that was mon to fri , often then on sat id work until about 1pm.
    i loved the driving but the hours got to me.
    i packed it up , i just could not keep going.
    eh yes they do!! a driver of a heavy goods vehicle has to either have four working weeks tachographs in the cab with him at all times or in the case of the new digital version the card has to be downloaded to a computer every week!!!! the rsa and garda traffic corps are all over this like flies on ****e and have regular check points set up checking just these

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭coolvale

things must have changed for the better sinch i was driving.

• Advertisement
Advertisement