Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressure bedding and... removing it...

Options
  • 10-07-2010 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

I took the Remington out of the stock this evening. Boyds laminate thumbhole stock. It is pressure bedded at the end of the stock. I'm in a good idea/bad idea place.

The plan is to pillar/Devcon bed the rifle soon when I get all my ducks lined up, instructions, tools, bits and bobs needed to do the job.

I assume when I do the bedding I should also remove the raised area in the stock channel that's used as the pressure bedding point so to properly free float the barrel.

Basic question is my assumption correct?

Secondary good idea/bad idea question is should I remove the raised area now? Just to see how the rifle shoots without the pressure bedding, bearing in mind the rifle is not at present bedded.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

johngalway wrote: »
    I took the Remington out of the stock this evening. Boyds laminate thumbhole stock. It is pressure bedded at the end of the stock. I'm in a good idea/bad idea place.

The plan is to pillar/Devcon bed the rifle soon when I get all my ducks lined up, instructions, tools, bits and bobs needed to do the job.

I assume when I do the bedding I should also remove the raised area in the stock channel that's used as the pressure bedding point so to properly free float the barrel.

Basic question is my assumption correct?

Secondary good idea/bad idea question is should I remove the raised area now? Just to see how the rifle shoots without the pressure bedding, bearing in mind the rifle is not at present bedded.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I'm doing similar to my VTR.
    The barrel is free floating but the stock is elastic and can touch, so I am opening up the channel.

The bedding is important as it adds strength to the only 2 adhesion points on the stock action.
    If you bed the action well it will universally distribute the weight of the action across the bed.
    The barrel will thus be free floating.

The VSSF II I also have was per pillar bedded aluminium.
    I bedded it further with glass, however this only required a bare skim.

The Injection moulded stock on my VTR I may fill with adhesive to add regidity to the fore end.

I have a few friends in the extrusion/moulding profession who should be able to advise me better on best adhesive/fillers for PVC adhesion.

I look forward to your picks John.
    And even more look forward to your groups :D

My VSSF II has tasty groups currently.
    If I can get my stalking rifle close I will be quite pleased.

I'm importing HPS ammo so that should improve her accuracy too ;)

Another idea for recession busting value ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I presume if you ask 10 good custom rifle builders to build you the most accurate varmint rifle....at least 9 would want to build it free floating.

No, I wouldn't even concider a pressure bed for a hunting or vermin rifle.

edi

ejg wrote: »
    I presume if you ask 10 good custom rifle builders to build you the most accurate varmint rifle....at least 9 would want to build it free floating.

No, I wouldn't even concider a pressure bed for a hunting or vermin rifle.

edi

Edi.
    Could you mould a left handed cheek rest with a right handed bolt slot?

And if you could would it be expensive?
    I liked the green one you made for your mate that had a job done on it recently.

Tac, slightly awkward but doable.
    I think one would need the rifle for a few hours to fit the trigger as I'm sure the inlet in the stock is different.
    Have you tried our stock left handed? When we designed it we had left handed shooters helping shape it.
    Soon we'll have a tactical stock, possibly with cheek raiser. Just making a ultra light prototype for a swedish fella that weighs 800grams with cheek raiser.
    edi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

John.
    I was talking about the pressure bedding the other day and the answer was that it could alter your POI each time you fire if you do not hold it the same each time.

Think it over - if you pull down on the stock at the forend you will lessen the pressure.

But then I have heard of people putting small pieces of rubber in the forend, using bicyle inner tube, to give a pressure bedded barrel to stock.

• Advertisement

Tac, slightly awkward but doable.
    I think one would need the rifle for a few hours to fit the trigger as I'm sure the inlet in the stock is different.
    Have you tried our stock left handed? When we designed it we had left handed shooters helping shape it.
    Soon we'll have a tactical stock, possibly with cheek raiser. Just making a ultra light prototype for a swedish fella that weighs 800grams with cheek raiser.
    edi

I'd be very interested Edi.
    Could make my little VTR one of a kind :D
    I also think Lefties would love it as far more right handed rifles are available with tumbhole stocks etc; but only the plain jane rifles are available in left hand.

I'd be very interested in doing it to my rifle. It could be a test piece.
    Could make you rich and famous.
    "The Edi Leftie Converter "

I used a Karsten on my other rifle to get the cheek rise.
    However the VSSF II is a good stock to start with.

Your PSE stock off your .243 would look the Business on my VTR.

I'd be very interested Edi.
    Could make my little VTR one of a kind :D
    I also think Lefties would love it as far more right handed rifles are available with tumbhole stocks etc; but only the plain jane rifles are available in left hand.

I'd be very interested in doing it to my rifle. It could be a test piece.
    Could make you rich and famous.
    "The Edi Leftie Converter "

I used a Karsten on my other rifle to get the cheek rise.
    However the VSSF II is a good stock to start with.

Your PSE stock off your .243 would look the Business on my VTR.

Once you start you can't stop Tac....
    another must have....
    uses AI mags. This one is from Roedale, but Syss also make one.
    I was a bit wary about this mag system but it improves feeding imensly.
    The old sticky feeding of a remmy is cured.

I'll pop you a mail.

edi
    DSCN4582.jpg

another must have....

I'll pop you a mail.

edi
    DSCN4582.jpg

I only want a 5 shot mag to keep her unrestricted.
    I do think there is a HUGE opening for adapting right handed guns to suit lefties.

All the Fancy high tech rifles come in RH only. The lefties are usually the after thought rifles.

I deffo know of several on here who would like a lefty stock for a RH Rifle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I only want a 5 shot mag to keep her unrestricted.
    I do think there is a HUGE opening for adapting right handed guns to suit lefties.

All the Fancy high tech rifles come in RH only. The lefties are usually the after thought rifles.

I deffo know of several on here who would like a lefty stock for a RH Rifle

You can have a hundred round belt-fed bolt action rifle and it'll be unrestricted if it's centrefire. That restriction applies to rimfires only.

You can have a hundred round belt-fed bolt action rifle and it'll be unrestricted if it's centrefire. That restriction applies to rimfires only.

(i) single-shot or repeating rifled centre-fire firearms of a calibre not
    exceeding 7.62 millimetres (.308 inch) and whose overall length
    is greater than 90 centimetres,
    (ii) single-shot, repeating or semi-automatic rim-fire firearms
    designed to fire rim-fire percussion ammunition and with a magazine
    having a capacity of not more than 10 rounds,

Well spotted IWM.
    Anyway,I am happy with 5 round mags; the other 4 in my stalking rifle are only spare ;)

the 10 round mags only get in the way IMHO if you are firing from the shoulder.
    I am looking forward to see what Edi can make for me :D

another must have....

I'll pop you a mail.

edi

Edi

Are your stocks Pilar bedded?
    If possible I would prefer a pillar bedded stock.
    My VSSF II is very rigid as a result of Pillars(factory) and bedding(aftermarket).

I would hope to get my VTR just as regid.

And test what she can really do :D

Tac,
    the mag in the pic is a 5 shot, but 10 are also available.

Our stocks are inlet moulded, meaning we integrate a very strong carbon
    fiber wrap around the screw holes which are then carbon pillars. The inlet also has carbon fiber running cross ways und the action and around
    the recoil lug.
    No pillars are needed in our stocks, I would recomend skim bedding though.

edi

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Lads I am not trying to be rude and I don't want to discourage conversation on rifle pimping as I love that stuff but has the thread gone a long way from John's original question.

The topic you are discussing is very interesting and maybe a new thread to continue it is a good idea

right,
    sorry for the highjack
    edi

right,
    sorry for the highjack
    edi

New thread formed!

For all you pimp's out there;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I got my answer today. Removing the pressure bedding was a very bad idea lol. I may sell a few bits and bobs and send her to a smithy, proper job and put my mind at ease!

John don't give up all is not lost.

Watch those DVD's one shows a remington getting the bedding job done, a 243 I think, the younge lad is shooting 750 yards.

And if all comes to all you can come here for the weekend, let the women loose - plenty of shoe shops here, and we will hack out your boomer and make it all better.

clivej wrote: »
    John don't give up all is not lost.

Watch those DVD's one shows a remington getting the bedding job done, a 243 I think, the younge lad is shooting 750 yards.

And if all comes to all you can come here for the weekend, let the women loose - plenty of shoe shops here, and we will hack out your boomer and make it all better.

Lol, I mentioned the invite to herself last night, "I hope I got invited too!"

I just gave Fergal White a ring, going to drop into him on Monday, he's going to have a look at it and see what the craic is.

• Advertisement

johngalway wrote: »
    Lol, I mentioned the invite to herself last night, "I hope I got invited too!"

I just gave Fergal White a ring, going to drop into him on Monday, he's going to have a look at it and see what the craic is.

Course she did. Dvd's come???

They did indeed, thank you very much :D Not had time to watch them as yet.

Advertisement