Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need Router help!

• 10-07-2010 10:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭

I bought a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless N modem today. Have it all set up (after about 6hrs work, probably the most complicated thing i have ever done and i consider myself rather tech savvy.)

Anyways my problem is its only transmitting at 54mbps. I cant get it to transmit any higher it really annoying me as i paid alot extra for Wireless N so i want to be getting the 300mbps speed.

Can anyone tell me how i can get the Wireless N speeds?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Hogzy wrote: »
    I bought a Netgear DGN2000 Wireless N modem today. Have it all set up (after about 6hrs work, probably the most complicated thing i have ever done and i consider myself rather tech savvy.)

Anyways my problem is its only transmitting at 54mbps. I cant get it to transmit any higher it really annoying me as i paid alot extra for Wireless N so i want to be getting the 300mbps speed.

Can anyone tell me how i can get the Wireless N speeds?

Have you got a type N network card as well?

How are you testing the speed?. Generally.. with an 802.11g card you'll never get 54 mbps from router to laptop, you would only ever get about half that at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

yeah iv got a unibody macbook pro. its wireless n enabled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Most likely the fruit doesn't support the full N standard

Most likely the fruit doesn't support the full N standard

That seems a bit stupid though, Why would they say it has wireless N when it doenst?

Also.. is anybody else connected using a non N standard card?. Because if there is.. wireless will generally drop its speed to whatever the lowest compatible speed is

• Advertisement

Stky10 wrote: »
    Also.. is anybody else connected using a non N standard card?. Because if there is.. wireless will generally drop its speed to whatever the lowest compatible speed is

Yeah that could be it. There are 2 other laptops in the house and afaik its b/g. So that could be dragging it down. feck sake what a waste of money it was upgrading to Wireless N!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

It is just one of those things, when was your machine built? as above are there any other users/devices on the wireless network? iPhone?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Yeah that could be it. There are 2 other laptops in the house and afaik its b/g. So that could be dragging it down. feck sake what a waste of money it was upgrading to Wireless N!!!!

Thats your problem then.

I think in some of these routers you can set it up that it only accepts N speed connections.. but then the other users in the house won't be able to use it.

<EDIT - You could fix this by buying N speed cards for the other laptops, but its probably not worth it since I'm guessing the main use will be for internet browsing, and the bottleneck will always be on the WAN side>

Advertisement