Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ok HELP!!!!!

Options
  • 10-07-2010 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭

As some of you may know im a veterinary nurse, and i came in home for working about 30ish hours. I lay down on the bed to catch 40 winks before heading out tonight and get woken up abotu 15 mins ago by a neighbour who tells me there is a horse in the field and there are some young lads at it and scaring it. She had rang the DSPCA and the Garda and no one wants to know about it.

So i go out and have a look at him and he seems in good nick, no obvious cuts, injuries etc. So i tie the belt from my dressing gown around his neck and bring him through my house and into the back garden.

Right or wrong thing to do! Have no clue where to get a horse box at this time of night, and i have no clue what to do with him!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Ring the Guards & tell them what you have done just to cover your own ass.
    But yeah, it was the right thing to do. Too many stories about animals being killed & terrorised. So if the horse does belong to someone they would be very grateful that you took the time to make sure it wasn't harmed in any way.
    Pat yourself on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

I'm still half asleep, and there is a horse in my back garden! There is shelter there and grass. The fecking DSPCA!

Ok officially this country is very very bad when it comes to animal rescue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Jules wrote: »
    Right or wrong thing to do! Have no clue where to get a horse box at this time of night, and i have no clue what to do with him!

Not if he colics on fresh grass from your garden! :eek:

Have you any idea at all who owns him or do you know the land-owner or anyone else who might be able to contact them? I'd try ringing the gardi yourself you prob wont have any luck though. Need to get it into a suitable field somewhere anyway. Apart from the fresh grass (you'll get a similar effect if you feed heroin to a small child!) there are any number of common garden plants which are highly poisionus to horses, and they will happily munch away at them. I did spend 3 months myself trying to get someone to come and look at a horse with a head-collar grown into its head, all I could do myself was make a few cuts in the material. This went on till the horse eventually disappered (presumed moved by it's owner).

<Edit> Are the lads still hanging around? If they know you took him and they've gone they won't be expecting you to put him back if you have no better option ;)

• Advertisement

ok great thanks now i feel so much better. And the local land owner is the SDCC, i live in a housing estate in tallaght, not one that is usually know for roaming horses. But don't think they would be too bothered, or would answer their phone at midnight! He seems to be quiet i have given him water. Hopefully he will be ok till morning.
    Tried the ihwt, thanks adrieanne__x, and no answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

Yea you did the right thing, so disgraceful that the garda/animal shelters wouldnt do anything.:(

You think there would be an emergency number to call.

I agree with adrenalinjunkie, be careful so he doesnt eat too much grass.:)

He isn't doing too much atm, just standing there. No noise, coughing or distressed sounds just very quiet. Will he do ok outside for the night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭Kya1976

He isn't doing too much atm, just standing there. No noise, coughing or distressed sounds just very quiet. Will he do ok outside for the night?

Yes I'm sure he will, I used to keep horses, sure its not ideal to have him in the backgarden, but a hell of a lot better than the 'situation' he was in:)

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

find a saddle and become the lone ranger and protect the weak, like zorro

• Advertisement

Prob just a combination of the calm after the commotion and being in a new place in the dark. Have you any idea what the lads were doing? It just seems unlikely he'd be that easy to catch if he was scared. Was he snorting or blowing or anything when you caught him?

Sorry didn't mean to alarm you with my first post but it could get you in a bit of trouble if he stuffs himself with fresh grass during the night, is there any way at all you can restrict his access to it? (Patio furniture barrier or something :p) If your garden isn't too big he might be ok for night, wouldn't want him in there much longer than that though.

As regards horse rescues there are currently thousands of horses starving to death in this country as there's now a 6 month waiting list for factories and a lot of irresponsible people are leaving them like that because they can't afford to feed them, they'll get something at the end of the day from the factory but it would cost them money to have them pts. So to be honest i'd put most of your effort into trying to find the owner. The IHWT are already up to their eyes in horses and there really is no-one else. They may well prioritise you though under the circumstances.

It is a very small garden and the grass was cut recently. And much much smaller than the field he was left in. He was a bit ruffled and it took me some time to get close to him. He was very jittery. Kind of did it like a scared dog and let him come to me when he was ready.

It is a very small garden and the grass was cut recently. And much much smaller than the field he was left in. He was a bit ruffled and it took me some time to get close to him. He was very jittery. Kind of did it like a scared dog and let him come to me when he was ready.

Sounds like he's been well handled so someone will most likely come looking for him. Stick your phone no. on a piece of paper and put it in see through plastic bag and tie it to the gate of the field in the morning. He should be grand if the grass is cut short, its just because the grass in lawns is lush and too rich for them as opposed to the fibrus grasses they're built to deal with. You may try the rescues again tomorrow but seeing as it's Sunday . . . . :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

well done for taking him in ,,I dont know that many would have bothered..I hope you can get a bit of help with him today but seeing its sunday,,,ahh god this country is a disgrace:(

Sounds like he's been well handled so someone will most likely come looking for him. Stick your phone no. on a piece of paper and put it in see through plastic bag and tie it to the gate of the field in the morning. He should be grand if the grass is cut short, its just because the grass in lawns is lush and too rich for them as opposed to the fibrus grasses they're built to deal with. You may try the rescues again tomorrow but seeing as it's Sunday . . . . :rolleyes:

I dont think you get where i found him, in a open field in the middle of a housing estate.. no gates, no fences, no stables. Not even any stables in the area.. just houses and tallaght centre!!! No one in the area has a horse and the guys that where messing with him where people you dont want to have horses.

The lovely people at the IHWT are coming for him. I got a ladies number from a friend who does smaller animal rescue. Going to give her 100 euro donation, i know it wont help but i also have someone to sponser him. A good start to a sunday, but my back garden is in bits!!!!!

Ah I see now, it just sounded like he was supposed to be where he was. To me a field is a thing with hedges and a fence round it. All's well at the end of the day though :D Was just goin to tell you today if you were still stuck with him there are 2 yards in Saggart and 1 in Rathcoole that might have been willing to help you out temporarily, You'll be glad to see the back of him at this stage :p

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Thats great to hear,,thank god youve managed to get him sorted....Well done:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

IHWT really do a great job, but they are completely packed to capacity at the moment. And even though you don't think it's much, your donation will be greatly received, and the fact that you've found somebody to sponsor him is amazing!

Great news, Nicko, as i called him, will be reunited with his owner towmorrow!!!!!

But some pics up on fb with a little story, and i friend of mine recongnised him as a friends horse who had been stolen two weeks earlier! There were some marks that were not visable on the pics that she knew about that where specific to this guy! So Prince is being brought home tomorrow!!! He has a buddy horse who misses him lots!

Love a happy ending!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Aw that's brilliant :) I'm glad he has a happy home to go back to.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭Majestic 12

That's a great ending to the story. Not many people would go out of their way as much as you did to help a roaming horse.

Well done Jules!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Jules fair play to you! I love reading sweet stories like this (as we all know they usually don't end very well). I'm sure the owner is really appreciative.

Good karma is definitely coming your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Well Done Jules :D

Advertisement