Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kopparberg calories

Options
  • 10-07-2010 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anyone know how many calories are in the Strawberry and Lime Koppaberg bottle, couldn't see any info on the bottle at the time. Please move to N&D or whichever appropriate forum this suits if I am in the wrong place.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

i dont think kopparberg do a strawberry and lime......i know rekordelig do though.....to answer your question, i have no idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

i dont think kopparberg do a strawberry and lime......i know rekordelig do though.....to answer your question, i have no idea
    They definitely do, I bought it in Dunnes Stores, and I have the bottles in my recycling box. But no nutritional info on them!

you'd imagine all food and drink would have nutritional info on them wouldnt you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

you'd imagine all food and drink would have nutritional info on them wouldnt you
    Not these!
    Anyone have any idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

This site has some information about Kopparberg in general. The stats might be for the pear cider.

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Kopparberg_Cider__Review_5855001
    Kopparberg fruit ciders come in a range of flavours including lime and elderflower, summer fruits, and of course apple, but in my opinion the pear cider is my far the nicest. Its imported from Sweden, and as a result can be fairly expensive, costing around £3 in pubs and restaraunts and setting you back around £2.50 even in low-cost drinking barns such as Wetherspoons.

Most large supermarkets now stock it too, where it costs around £1.90 per 550ml bottle, although it can also be bought more cheaply in 550ml cans, although in my experience the canned version, whilst nice, don't have quite the same crisp and fresh taste as the bottled variety does.
    Its a drink that is very light, making it an ideal summer drink, but its also incredibly sugary, and any more than two bottles in a short space of time are likely to give you a pounding headache as a result. It has a very pleasant and sweet taste, and doesn't feel at all alcoholic, although it is quite strong at 4.5%, providing another good reason to drink it in moderation as its possible to get drunk on the stuff very quickly and easily.

Its high sugar content means that it is not a very healthy drink, and all in all given its none-too-cheap price its best approached as one would a fattening but delicious chocolate cake, ie as a occasional treat, or perhaps having the drink as an accompaniment to a meal in the place of a sugary dessert.
    Nutritional Information- (per 568ml serving)

Calories- 240
    Fat- trace
    Sodium- 40 mg
    Carbohydrate- 43 g
    Sugars- 34 g
    Protein- trace
    Summary: A great summer drink, but should be drank in moderation

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

I've always wondered this myself, beer never seems to have calorie info on the cans, but tbh we are probably better off not knowing :eek: , think I read on a can of carling I baught recently had 168 calories, I'd say cider is a good bit more than lager, so :eek: :D

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Not if there's alcohol involved!

Our wonderful labelling laws do not require ingredients or nutritional information on alcohol labels - just the capacity and the ABV.

Kobbaberg used to have the ingredients on the bottles (I think it is required under Swedish law but not EU law) but now they probably label specially for the Irish market.

Not if there's alcohol involved!

Our wonderful labelling laws do not require ingredients or nutritional information on alcohol labels - just the capacity and the ABV.

Kobbaberg used to have the ingredients on the bottles (I think it is required under Swedish law but not EU law) but now they probably label specially for the Irish market.

oh i do understand they arent required, but you'd imagine that they would!!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Pixelcraft

oh i do understand they arent required, but you'd imagine that they would!!

Generally if it's a natural drink they'll happily list ingredients, if they're not present it probably tells you as much information as the ingredient list would have.

i mean that you'd imagine that they'd be required, not that they'd just show the info!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

i mean that you'd imagine that they'd be required, not that they'd just show the info!!

Yes, you would imagine that it's mandatory and I've never heard anyone put forward a reason (good or bad) why it's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

As a general rule the sweeter a drink is the more sugar. The more sugar the more calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JHMEG wrote: »
    As a general rule the sweeter a drink is the more sugar. The more sugar the more calories.
    And the stronger the drink too, as the alcohol has calories. Portion size is important too if you are calculating overall intake, i.e. 10 vodkas are only about 6 pints worth of alcohol -yet some people just talk about "drinks".

Tesco are very good for nutritional info and ingredients, their beers and spirits usually have the info on them -it also reveals the secrets that some companies might want to hide. e.g. that glycerine is added to vodkas to smoothen them rather than distil them properly in the first place. I have seen kcal values on guinness cans, 170kcal I think for 500ml, many websites have them though make sure to go to the manufacturers site. I think guinness have figures for bulmers on their site which do not match bulmers own figures.

It would also expose those incredibly misleading ads bulmers have out which would infer to most people that bulmers pear is 100% pear juice, not that the small quantity of juice in it is 100% pear and then loaded up with sugar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

rubadub wrote: »
    And the stronger the drink too, as the alcohol has calories.
    In reference to Koppaberg, which is quite a sweet drink like Bulmers, I'd imagine a large amount of the calories are in the sugar.

The reason Bulmers Light can exist: the sugar can be replaced with sweeteners.

1 pint Bulmers = 233 cals
    1 pint Bumers light = 160 cals

Both have the same alcohol content

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

JHMEG wrote: »
    1 pint Bulmers = 233 cals
    1 pint Bumers light = 160 cals

Both have the same alcohol content
    The other very complex bit is that the sugar will probably make you fatter too, so 500kcal of bulmers will probably make you fatter than 500kcal of bulmers light. Calorie calculation has nothing to do with humans, it is a measure intended for engineering use, when people use it to estimate energy for humans it is only a rough guide. Studies have been done feeing 1 group 500kcal of sugar drinks more each day and another got 500kcal of alcohol -the sugar drinkers got fatter.

I have seen this anecdotally myself, I know a few very heavy drinkers and the calorie counting theory falls down completely -i.e. the theory that 3,500kcal will lead to 1lb fat loss/gain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_and_weight

Alcohol is very high in calories and so great for internal combustion engines, so is petrol -I also doubt 500kcal of petrol would make you put on weight like 500kcal of donuts.

Advertisement