Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

walls plates

• 10-07-2010 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

hi there ,
    Finally getting round to mounting my flat on the wall , now the problem is that im mounting it over a fireplace (not used ) but I dont want the cable hanging down , i have the following to install , skybox - scart , xbox - scart , blue ray - hdmi , sound system - AV cable .

None of the above devices will be mounted under the tv but on a shelf on the wall about 3mtrs away .

I would like to mount a dual scart wall plate /a dual hdmi wall plate with an av set of mounts as well ...

I have no problem wiring the scart cable and have done so before so I can find single plates but does anyone know of dual ones ?

and yes I know I have to chase the wall to bury these in the all but seen as I just chased it for the power sockets thats no problem ..

so looking for a dual scart wall plate / a dual hdmi (with AV if possible ) anyone any ideas ?

thanks
    Dar

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

Lots of options here.

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/products.asp?section=Audio%20Wall%20Plates&category=Audio%20Wall%20Plates

HDMI wallplates are designed so that the cable plugs into the back , you need another cable to go from the wall to the device.
    Terminating HDMI in the field so to speak , is not a good idea , they become very very unreliable when you do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Darragh77

Thanks Andy ,
    Not sure what you mean about the HDMI though .. I see one that will suite most of it
    D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

For the scart you could make your own double plate very easily using a couple of these

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCART-Socket-Rt-Angle-PCB-Panel-Mount-cn135-/290418332188?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item439e48121c

I was using 4 hdmi 1m extenders to run from the tv and hang out of the wall without any reliabilty issues, i don't know if that is any different from using the wall plates.

What I mean is that say , with a scart you can cut the connector off , solder it to a wallplate or whatever , and as long as your wiring is OK it will work fine.

Not so with HDMI , the length of each wire and the twists in each pair are crucial to its proper function. The tolerance is a fraction of a millimeter. Cutting the connector and trying to re-solder makes it highly unstable.
    The reason for this is the extremely high frequency of the data stream, Which is way in excess of any analog cable.

This is why HDMI faceplates come with plugs. You run the complete cable behind the wall and just insert the connector at the inside of the faceplate. Then use another cable from the outside connector on the wallplate to the device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Ah yes, i read you're first post as saying those wall plates were a bad idea. I had enough trouble with cat5 cables in the past to know better than chop up hdmi cables!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 Darragh77

ah yes I get you now :) .. I will take that on board .
    thanks guys
    Dar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Not sure how this went, but I'd certainly consider burying a *single* HDMI cable in the wall (inside a conduit of some type), and connecting this to a modern AV receiver - then connecting all the equipment to the receiver. I wouldn't attempt to use a faceplate, just bury a good quality cable in the wall.

The problem historically is that SCART has not been well supported in this set-up - now SCART is finished, upgrade the Sky box to a HD one (even if you don't want HD you now can use HDMI) - not sure why you're still using an xbox - if it's a 360 then again switch to HDMI.

One buried cable - no faceplates - simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

why bother wasting money on wall plates, simply chase the wall, get a cable long enough to do the job and bury it into the wall into conduit...no need for wall plates they are only likely to cause problems afterwards ne way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

steveon wrote: »
    why bother wasting money on wall plates, simply chase the wall, get a cable long enough to do the job and bury it into the wall into conduit...no need for wall plates they are only likely to cause problems afterwards ne way..

I read as well, they recoomened brush type wallplates for HDMI , so u dont break the connection. For ashetics. One could also push a lan cable through taht point, or have it hidden behind brush until needed.

Depends what you want , a nice professionally finished job , or some cables protruding from plaster , I know which I'd prefer.
    Wall plates with the proper backing box are easy to maintain , how may I ask , are they likely to cause problems ?
    They would certainly be a lot more durable than having some cables sticking out of the wall with no support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

andy1249 wrote: »
    Depends what you want , a nice professionally finished job , or some cables protruding from plaster , I know which I'd prefer.
    Wall plates with the proper backing box are easy to maintain , how may I ask , are they likely to cause problems ?
    They would certainly be a lot more durable than having some cables sticking out of the wall with no support.

The cable comes out through the plaster behind the TV, it's not visible, and if you really cared you could bring it out through a hole in a blanking plate. You also need a power cable of too, in many ways it's a much neater and simpler job than attempting to mount power outlets and AV wall plates behind the TV, trying to miss the frame of the mount, and getting connections that can fit into the plates in the space available behind a wall mounted TV.

The cable comes out through the plaster behind the TV, it's not visible, and if you really cared you could bring it out through a hole in a blanking plate. You also need a power cable of too, in many ways it's a much neater and simpler job than attempting to mount power outlets and AV wall plates behind the TV, trying to miss the frame of the mount, and getting connections that can fit into the plates in the space available behind a wall mounted TV.

Very poor form indeed. What your describing here just amounts to taking the easy way out. In no way is a cable sticking out of the wall neater, its definitely easier though , I'll give you that , but certainly not the quality of work I would pay for.

A little bit of measuring up , the right parts , and you have a very very neat and professional job. Wires sticking out of plaster are just not a quality finish.

Advertisement