Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ideas for a Photography Society

• 10-07-2010 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to think of some activities for my college society for the coming year. The society has been pretty quiet since it started, and while people join thinking "Oh yeah, I'd like to get into that" we loose people pretty quickly. Someone once suggested running competitions but printing facilities are not available for the members to print.

Some darkroom tutorials may be available (chemicals would need to be bought, the Department are really tight fisted about us using the college facilities), and maybe Photoshop tutorials (I may end up giving these myself if nothing else); the society has 3 Minolta film cameras, and I'd like to get a digital of some sort; but funding will be limited and I don't want to ask people to dip into the pockets too often. Couple trips would be what I'd be aiming for. We've gone to Charleville and would LOVELOVELOVE to go back - that's one ...

I don't have much experience with photography groups like camera clubs or anything, I wouldn't know how other groups operate - so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions ...

I don't want to steal ideas! Just wanna make a good society for the members - newbies and enthusiasts alike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

have a look at the websites of som of the camera clubs

and the programes on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

I was a very unactive member of UCC's last year and this coming year, I'm a commitee member, Our website is crap and outdated( Still waiting for the FTP details so I can update it) but I can tell you a few things.

Use a lecture room with a projector assign a whole meeting/half a meeting to viewing competition entries and voting, that's how UCC's works. It's fun and you can get images on a 100" screen or so, It's also costless and just requires a quic email.

We had a few guest speakers on different topics and some "hands on" nights, with lighting and just general know how of camera settings and stuff.

Make sure you get as many people in for the first meeting and have an Interesting things planned for the night/evening, try and make them want to come back again so your numbers should keep up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

you could set a theme
    people go out and shoot photographs for the theme

the members vote on the images

the winner gets kudos and picks next weeks theme.

Best thing to do I think is to go on a field trip somewhere It can be just down the road but it gets everybody out together.

people can show the images they took at the next meeting which is nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

How about an inter varsity competition...get a panel of neutral judges...arrange a day of photo shooting with a theme and all meet back in a pub and upload while having a few beers etc. ..I'm involved with a university society and can give you some names to contact if you are interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭digitalbeginner

At the Institute of Photography we're always happy to give free talks to groups of 10 or more on almost any area of digital photography. PM me if you want to talk more,

Dave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

heres one we did in our society last year. It might be funding depending tho.

Go out and buy 20-30 disposable cameras. Give them to the members and give them a list of things to shoot, say about 10. Get all the returned cameras and get the shots developed.

Have prizes for the best overall and best in each catagory.

Bearing in mind they are only using the cheapest cameras ever so they're gonna have to focus on composition.

We did this last year and it was a huge success.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭tullie

I was chair of the DCU Photography Society a few years back, drop me a pm if you like.

We organised a whole load of events, including the annual photography week, connections with the university paper, talks etc. If I can be of any help pm me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 147 ✭✭Misa-san

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I'll get to talking to a few of you in the next couple weeks - I can't plan anything concrete because I can't assume I'll be running it. But it'll be great to build up a possible activity template for next year.

Love the disposable camera idea :)

Advertisement