Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fibre powered home network

Options
  • 11-07-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

Basically i'm going to be moving into a new house soon and was looking to set up the wiring for a home network before i move in. I really have no clue about fibre wiring at all. So i'm basically looking for advise as to what is required to create a fibre home network, the price to do this and basically is the benefit worth the expense over normal network cables?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭johnciall

In all honesty for a Home network you won't need much beyond Standard Cat5e, If you really wan to push the boat out go for cat6, Putting in a fiber network would be quite expensive & fibe is delicate cable to run

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Cat6 was for older 1G ethernet. Current 1 G Ethernt is fine on Cat5e. Virtually all Cat5 sold is Cat5e

Cat5e supports 1G, 100M, 10M
    Also two runs works with Balun as HDMI extender
    You can get VGA adaptor to run VGA 1920x1200 over 500m of Cat5e
    Phone works on it
    You can run 4 x balanced mic on one Cat5e, or regular audio via audio balun
    You can run SPDID Digital audio over 1/4 of a Cat5e (one pair)
    You can run full RGB SCART Stereo over 2 x Cat5e via adaptor.

etc...

Also you want PF100 coax for DTT /TV/Satellite/Cable etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I had loads of lc to lc 10, 20 and 50 meter fiber cables lying around after jobs, seriously considered using it at home .... If the op had similar lengths it would be a cinch. You would need a fibre switch though, which could be expensive unless you went for older 1Gb stuff. Also there are no fibre wall sockets so it wouldnt look pretty...

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

well my owl fella is a sparks so he may be able to get his hands on the fiber for cost and lay the stuff through the house so that would be where i would save on the labour. the wall sockets would be a big turn off, really dont want wires hanging out of the walls on a new house. reason i was thinkin of getting this done now is as the house is in the process of being built its far easier to lay. and i dont plan on moving from this house so i would like it to be future proof!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Just so you know, Cat6 is a fat cable and would be hard to tack to walls and manevour. I wouldnt use it unless you had too, I dont think it would suit a home either, the cables are to rigid to corner with.

• Advertisement

Interfacing to fibre though is really expensive. Stick it in as well if you like. Two per outlet. But do loads of Cat5e and PF100 coax for real equipment the next five years.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

Just so you know, Cat6 is a fat cable and would be hard to tack to walls and manevour. I wouldnt use it unless you had too, I dont think it would suit a home either, the cables are to rigid to corner with.

strange i have CAT6 cable running my current network and its exactly the same as cat5 in terms of ease of use etc. in fact you'd be hard pushed to spot the difference bar the actual transfer benefits etc u see.

There are no transfer benefits on modern Ethernet either generally though it might let you use a bit further than 100m, I'd need to recheck. It's only very slightly heavier. Perhaps Static M.e. thinks that Shielded Twisted Pair Cat 5e Plenum cable is Cat6 as that is a lot stiffer a bit larger.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Sorry my bad, what we use is;

http://products.brand-rex.com/Products/tabid/55/CategoryID/42/List/1/Level/a/productid/3/Default.aspx

10GPlus Comms Cable U/UTP, 100 Ohm, 4x2,AWG23/1 - Aug Category 6 / Class EA

10GPlus U/UTP, 100 Ohm, 4x2,AWG23/1 is a premium grade Class EA / Augmented Category 6 cable to support 10 Gigabit Ethernet protocol for installation in horizontal and backbone applications.

Hard to describe but its almost like a Circle\triangular cable.. thinker than a kettle lead power cable and less bendy too..

That's only for special Data centre routers. It's not regular Cat6

It would be insane waste of money to put that in home or office

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Sorry my bad, what we use is;

http://products.brand-rex.com/Products/tabid/55/CategoryID/42/List/1/Level/a/productid/3/Default.aspx

10GPlus Comms Cable U/UTP, 100 Ohm, 4x2,AWG23/1 - Aug Category 6 / Class EA

10GPlus U/UTP, 100 Ohm, 4x2,AWG23/1 is a premium grade Class EA / Augmented Category 6 cable to support 10 Gigabit Ethernet protocol for installation in horizontal and backbone applications.

That is Cat 6a and will support 10gb up to 90mtrs. Cat 6 will support 10gb up to certain lengths dependent on the manufacturer.

Advertisement