Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Britax 3/1 Lamp Wiring Problem (Rear Lens)

• 11-07-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭

9hdsc00346jwj%20target=_blank%3Edsc00346jw.jpgdsc00346jw.jpg

I have 2 x Britax 3/1 lamps that I'm trying to wire up for a trailer but it's not working properly for me.

The wires from the lamps are colour coded as follows (this is what I've figured out they do):

Green (light blue on other one) = indicator
    Black = earth
    Red = side light
    Green = brake light

The problem I have is that on the 7 pin 'N' type socket the R/H tail (side light) should be brown and the L/H tail (side light) should be black.

The wiring will work if I put both red wires into the black connection. The R/H tail slot won't work (brown).

I have brake lights but when I press the brakes the indicator lights light up as well (on constant - not flashing). If the indicator is put on and brakes are applied the indicator light flashes as normal. Indicator off and brakes applied all lights light up again.

Anybody have experience of these lights and the wiring of them?

This is it (first one on the list - 9020-00):

http://www.britaxae.com.au/products.php?categoryname=Rear%20Combination%20Lights&subcategoryid=83&page=3

Pics attached.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The first thing to do is to check that the lamps actually work and that the bulbs are good.
    Connect the black (earth) wire to the negative pole of a 12v battery and touch each of the others to the positive pole in turn.

Once you're happy that that all works, wire the various services to the supply from the plug:
    ntypeplugcolouredpins12.jpg
    ntypewiringtable1303365.jpg

Don't take the colour of the wires as gospel, and don't assume that the plug is wired correctly either.
    You're looking to connect the various bulbs to their correct supply, irrespective of what colour wires the current come through.

In your case, and ASSUMING (always dangerous!) that your plug is correctly wired with standard colours and that you're description of the lamps is correct, it'd wire like this:
    Lamp earth, black --> plug white
    Lamp indicator, green or pale blue --> plug yellow (left) or green (right)
    Lamp tail-light, red --> plug black (left) or brown (right)
    Lamp brakelight, green --> plug red

If you can take a photo of the insides of the lamp showing where the various wire connect, it should be possible to be more certain on which wire does what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

Going to try what you say now Rovi.

What I fail to understand is why the indicator light should light up when the brakes are pressed. Is this usual for Britax?

Attaching photo of inside of lamp.

Thanks for taking the time to reply .... it's much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭fastrac94

from that picture i think the black wire is ur earth.take the black wire from each lamp and connect to the white wire in 7 core cable.red is for brake light,connect red wire from both lamps to the red wire in 7 core cable.the green wire that goes into the bulb with only 1 wire is ur indicator,for ur left lamp connect it to the yellow wire in tne 7 core cable,on ur right lamp connect this wire to the green wire so ur indicators will work the same on trailer and jeep/car and the last green wire thats left is the parking light,on ur left lamp connect it to the black wire and on ur right lamp connect it to the brown wire.ull have a blue wire left in ur 7 core cable,this is for a fog lamp but mostly thats not used so jus forget bout it.hope this helps if iny questions jus ask....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 PNEE1

JUst make sure your fitting the correct bulbs aswell, some are double contact, some are single, I've seeen the wrong ones being fitted and messin things up. It can cost alot of time to figure it out.

Advertisement