Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suarez and Henry

• 11-07-2010 12:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Is what suarez done acceptable with him handling it on the line to what henry did to us?

Suarez handballs it to keep his side in the tournament.

Henry hanballs it to put his side into the tournament.

I for one would def do what suarez did to keep my side in the tournament but dont know if i'd do what Henry did to put my side into the tournament(maybe i'm biased cos we were on the receiving end of what Henry did)

Been watching itv the other day and the panel were discussing the suarez incident and 2 out of the 3 panelists agreed wit what Suarez did but when it boils down to it is it not cheating, deliberate handball, yes i know he was punished sent off, pen given and 1 match ban.

In some corners soccer pundits were "praising" Suarez as in emplying they would do the same thing but yet no one said they'd do what Henry did.

Is Suarez any better than Henry "at the end of the day"?

Sorry if this was discussed already please lock if it was.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

what Henry did was worse than what Suarez did, Henry got away with it afterall. however neither were that big a deal and every player would do the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

Everyone knows they were both delibarate,

1) Suarez was sent off, and ghana were awarded a penalty..

2) Gallas goal stood, and Henry went unpunished..

Big difference

oconnon9 wrote: »

Big difference
    But not in the actions of the players, only how officials dealt with the incidents.

Saurez was punished by being sent off and his team conceding a last minute penalty.

If Ghana had scored the peno no-one would even remember what he did.

Henry got away with blue murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭larchielads

but lads my point is.....is it not the same thing what they did. one prevents a goal and one causes a goal, but is it not deliberate cheating regardless if they were caught or not. DELIBERATE HANDBALL. Suarez gets praised for helping his country while Henry gets hung for helping his.

• Advertisement

you're right. simple fact is Henry shouldn't have been hung anymore than any player who commits a professional foul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I would do either if it meant the team winning.

Up to the ref to catch me tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Suarez was doing it for tactical reasons. he knew he would be sent off and banned. Henry blatantly cheated. there's a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I have to say I was delighted to hear the boos everytime he got the ball. I would have done the same thing as Suarez in his position but if players that dive and handle the ball get booed off the pitch regularly it might actually help the game.

And just while I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't have done what Henry did, I would have tried to keep it in with my foot or some part of my body that was legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

rarnes1 wrote: »

If Ghana had scored the peno no-one would even remember what he did.

Of course they would.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Henry's handball was done so deliberately to deceive the ref.

Suarez on the other hand (blatent pun intended) was blatently obvious, and not intended to deceive. Suarez was happy for the outcome to be a sending off and peno conceded,ie he was happy for the laws of the game to be correctly applied, thats the difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Of course they would.

Do you remember Harry Kewell handling on the line as vividly? Pfft, of course not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

eagle eye wrote: »
    I have to say I was delighted to hear the boos everytime he got the ball. I would have done the same thing as Suarez in his position but if players that dive and handle the ball get booed off the pitch regularly it might actually help the game.

And just while I'm thinking about it, I wouldn't have done what Henry did, I would have tried to keep it in with my foot or some part of my body that was legal.

Arse.

its exactly the same only one was caught and punished, when suarez did it he pleaded innocence but accepted the red.

They both cheated one got punished the other didnt, there is no difference between the crime only the punishment.

Still bugs me we get upset over henry, he cheated and got away with it.

Duff dived for the peno vs spain in 2002 but thats fine.

Football fans are allowed be hypocrites.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    Do you remember Harry Kewell handling on the line as vividly? Pfft, of course not.

As vividly is different to not remembering or nobody remembering, so it is a mute point.

I remember it. It wasn't the last second of World Cup quarter final either, which makes it a bit more memorable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Arse.

its exactly the same only one was caught and punished, when suarez did it he pleaded innocence but accepted the red.

They both cheated one got punished the other didnt, there is no difference between the crime only the punishment.

Exactly just look at the match threads here during the season and see the double standards and excuses made and you will never get supporters calling their own players cheats.

The generalisations on this thread are hilarious.

Anyhow, Henry is a lovely lad.
    gl.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    Arse.

Wtf are you quoting me for to post that?

Calling my statement 'arse':mad:

I didn't say that Suarez didn't cheat. All I said was that I wouldn't have done what Henry did because it wouldn't enter my head to do it, I would be trying to keep the ball in by legal means. In Suarez' handball its a clear case of game over if he doesn't do it and I would certainly do that.

So next time you quote me have good reason for it and don't go off accusing me of something I didn't say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Seems like the same people who were screaming for us to 'get over' Henry-gate are quite content to reference it in order to make a flawed comparison to the Suarez incident.

Seems like the same people who were screaming for us to 'get over' Henry-gate are quite content to reference it in order to make a flawed comparison to the Suarez incident.
    My only reference to it was in a random thought while posting earlier. I really don't care about the Henry thing as much as some people. I was annoyed at the time but unfortunately thats the way football is with no video technology available to overturn horrific errors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

What about Harry Kewell? He deliberately handballed to prevent a goal. Why isn't he on the list of so-called cheats with Henry and Suarez in the OP?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

Is what suarez done acceptable with him handling it on the line to what henry did to us?

Suarez handballs it to keep his side in the tournament.

Henry hanballs it to put his side into the tournament.

I for one would def do what suarez did to keep my side in the tournament but dont know if i'd do what Henry did to put my side into the tournament(maybe i'm biased cos we were on the receiving end of what Henry did)

Been watching itv the other day and the panel were discussing the suarez incident and 2 out of the 3 panelists agreed wit what Suarez did but when it boils down to it is it not cheating, deliberate handball, yes i know he was punished sent off, pen given and 1 match ban.

In some corners soccer pundits were "praising" Suarez as in emplying they would do the same thing but yet no one said they'd do what Henry did.

Is Suarez any better than Henry "at the end of the day"?

Sorry if this was discussed already please lock if it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

oconnon9 wrote: »

Big difference
    Suarez was doing it for tactical reasons. he knew he would be sent off and banned. Henry blatantly cheated. there's a difference

So the difference is that the ref saw Suarez and didn't see Henry.

By that logic, if the ref had missed Suarez's handball, they would have been morally as bad as each other? Strange thing to hang Henry over, the incompetence of the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Handballs on the line preventing a goal (i.e. blocking the shot) should result in a goal or even a peno with no goalkeeper :). But seriously its so unfair to Ghana. I'm delighted for Uruguay that they did so well, especially Forlan after the criticism he got playing in England, but I feel the laws/rules of the game let Ghana down in the quarters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Trilla wrote: »
    Handballs on the line preventing a goal (i.e. blocking the shot) should result in a goal or even a peno with no goalkeeper :). But seriously its so unfair to Ghana. I'm delighted for Uruguay that they did so well, especially Forlan after the criticism he got playing in England, but I feel the laws/rules of the game let Ghana down in the quarters

No...Gyan let Ghana down by missing the penalty. There was no fuss or talk of "laws letting Ghana down" after Harry Kewell handled on the line because Ghana scored. It only became an issue when Gyan missed against Uruguay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

In a nutshell, every other player would have done what Suarez and Henry did. They literally chanced their arm, one got away with it and the other didn't (Suarez was punished, it's not his problem that Ghana failed to take their chance). So what it boils down to is the referee, it's up to him and his linesmen to see these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Both took the piss, as would 90% of players in the situation. Suarez paid the price though and the punishment should have been enough to see Ghana through.

I think it boils down to your relationship with the team. Funnily enough, a player from the club I support did a Suarez the other night and the sinned-against team missed the peno. As bad as it sounds, I was happy enough even though it was hard on the oppo. Hypocritical but true.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭postalservice

It happens.
    Always see people trying to save it and failing aswell

*I know the above players arent the most loved

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Get over it lads...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Henry = not punished.

Suarez = punished.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Suarez prevented a goal which without a shadow of doubt cost Ghana a place in the World Cup final.

Henry handled a ball in order for him to be able to play a pass/assist which was converted by Gallas.

Unlike Ghana, Ireland had 17 minutes of the game left to respond. There are no guarantees that France would not have scored anyway, and if it went to penalties Ireland could have lost anyway. It is open to debate what Ireland were cost because of the fact we had 17 minutes left to chase what would have been an away goal that would have put us through without having to rely on a penalty shootout lottery.

There is no room for debate when it comes to the Suarez incident. It was directly responsible for costing Ghana a semi final place.

Henry incident; what could have been.
    Suarez incident; what should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

jordainius wrote: »
    Suarez prevented a goal which without a shadow of doubt cost Ghana a place in the World Cup final.

Ah yes, beating Holland was a certainty ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

Both of them broke the rules and both of them did the right thing for themselves, their team mates and their country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Absolutely hilarious.

They both did the exact same thing. Both were instinctive actions. It's just hilarious that because Henry did it against Ireland people make them different :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

It's up to the ref to see these things.

Dishonest players don't bother me. I don't like it but I'm not surprised that people do things and try to get away with it. It happens in all facets of life. The vilification of Henry really pissed me off. As if no Irish person ever would have done the same thing in the same situation.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with players who cheat and then try to get away with it. It's up to the authorities to catch them and try and clamp down on the behaviour and, hopefully, encourage more honest behaviour.

If people can get away with something, they'll always chance their arm, in every facet of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

It's up to the ref to see these things.

Dishonest players don't bother me. I don't like it but I'm not surprised that people do things and try to get away with it. It happens in all facets of life. The vilification of Henry really pissed me off. As if no Irish person ever would have done the same thing in the same situation.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with players who cheat and then try to get away with it. It's up to the authorities to catch them and try and clamp down on the behaviour and, hopefully, encourage more honest behaviour.

If people can get away with something, they'll always chance their arm, in every facet of life.

Exactly, surely i'm not the only person who remembers Robbie Keane handling the ball on 3 different occasions during that french game.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Pauleta wrote: »
    Both of them broke the rules and both of them did the right thing for themselves, their team mates and their country.

True but in the eyes of most Irish people, the French are a nation of cheaters

Advertisement