Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

worst anti-climax cycling related?

• 11-07-2010 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

stuffed my rucksack with the bare minimum for this weekends trip but a laptop and hefty camera equipment didnt help, cycled into the city with the heavy rucksack on my back shifting as much weight forward as i could so as not to wreck the back wheel.

5hr bus to Donegal, walked with the bike and my friend, eventually found the house, today I go out for a cycle and 5mins later a puncture, Ive no pump and theres no shops in this Gaeltacht! (only 1 that sells chocolate and junk for kids)

so all that trouble to get the bike up and now I cant use it

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I dont race so I guess others will have worse stories

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Similar thing happened to me in Connemara last month. I managed to find a cheap puncture repair kit in a newsagents, but not before a ten mile walk with bike. Resolved to be more prepared in future.

4682835629_cf355d82a7_z.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

If your really stuck and have to repair a puncture get some kinda string (must be strong) find the hole in the tube and as tight as possible wrap the string around the hole and tie it tight. When its inflated the air will fill the tube from both sides and the string will pinch the hole not letting the air out. It'll keep you going till you can sort it out properly.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭C3PO

Don't mean to be rude lads but going to Donegal/Connemara with a bike and no spare tube/pump/puncture repair kit!! I don't much like to carry gear myself but a tube, pump and multi-tool really are a must!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

uugh..

So 2008 having cycled my way round france cycletouring, decided to get on a train when was nearing a boring region in Burgundy.

so sitting on platform waiting for train to pull up as is, cant disnamtle panniers 5 btw, and bike, more than 2+ trips needed to get on train, and because you dont know where the train is going to stop I had to wait and keep it all in one piece before the train stopped and quickly real quick dismantle it all.

train pulls up, I break everything down, there is no seperate carriage for bike was told at station there was one!:mad::mad:

the platform is beginning to clear, the dude is getting ready to blow the whistle, I decided there and then that it was all or nothing and didnt want to take the chance of 1/2 my luggage going to auxerre, and me standing holding my c@ck wondering wtf?

so...cut losses let the train go and eat the the station manager instead
    got a refund, next to impossible in france but I kept demanding it...

and cycled the rest of the way to Paris afterall, it turned out to be great :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

RPL1 wrote: »
    Don't mean to be rude lads but going to Donegal/Connemara with a bike and no spare tube/pump/puncture repair kit!! I don't much like to carry gear myself but a tube, pump and multi-tool really are a must!!

I know ye, see I only have a large foot pump for a car, it was too big to stuff in my bag, ordering a light bike pump tonite to bring with me on rides in the future.

I did actually bring full size tools tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

RPL1 wrote: »

Ah, you know. Accidents happen. Thought I had tubes in my bag. Did not. Went out anyway when I got down there, obviously.

Advertisement