Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other American Eskimo Dogs In IRL??

Options
  • 11-07-2010 1:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I remember when coming thru Lissenhall Vet at the airport on 2 occasions with American Eskimo Dogs, 2 my own, one for my Dad the Secretary told me there were others that had come to Ireland also. Any Eskie owners on here?? Should have a like Irish Eskie Club maybe???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

avkeskie wrote: »
    I remember when coming thru Lissenhall Vet at the airport on 2 occasions with American Eskimo Dogs, 2 my own, one for my Dad the Secretary told me there were others that had come to Ireland also. Any Eskie owners on here?? Should have a like Irish Eskie Club maybe???

OH MY GOD... that mad....

we had a Americian Eskino.. brought him back from canada in 1992 thru lissenhall in Swords, they are beautiful dogs...
    sadly ours died in 2002... :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 avkeskie

cocker5 wrote: »
    OH MY GOD... that mad....

we had a Americian Eskino.. brought him back from canada in 1992 thru lissenhall in Swords, they are beautiful dogs...
    sadly ours died in 2002... :confused::confused:

What size was he? A Standard or miniature? There are toys too but I've never actually seen one but they look like white Poms or the Klein Spitz. I have a Standard and a mini and Dads is also a Standard. What did he die of? How old was he? They live to be a good age but a lot get cancer too. Very sharp alert dogs, not at all trusting of strangers, mine take a while too warm up to new people. Can bark too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,379 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Nope Overheal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Eskimo_Dog

They go by many names ;) and are not so rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

no he's talking about ....

http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_eskimo_dog/index.cfm

http://www.americaneskimo.com/

similar to what in ireland is called Japanese Spitz...

http://www.japanesespitz.info/

Egar,

Thats' mad... we have never met anyone else in Irealnd with an American Eskimo... :eek::eek:

We moved to Canada in 1996 just outside Toronto... we got him in November 1999... he was such a deadly puppy... but didnt like strangers at all... he was very easy to train... super clever too! he was a standard... beautiful dog ! He was my best friend!

We moved back to Ireland in August 2003 and he had to go into quarentine for the six months... but they didnt have space for im until 3 months after we left, so infact between kennels and lissenhall he way away for 9 months :confused:

To be very honest we thought lissenhall was TERRIBLE... after 3 months we were allowed to visit him.... the poor guy was a state.. he had little bites marks all over the hindlegs from what we think were rats bites , he looked soooo depressed... even though he had all his shots etc (with vet proof) lissenhall insisted in giving him another rabbies shot... :confused::confused: which in turn lead to his health problems....

anyway after we got him home.... he was very protective...NO ONE apart from us could go near him or he would go MENTAL.... after a few years he got to know some of our friends / neighbours and thats was good... but took him YEARS to trust people... great guard dog!

When he was about 10 he developed diabaetes (Spelling??)... he had to get daily injections , we had to test his urine each day etc... this last about 4 years annd he had a good four years ... but then he started to go blind from his health problems and he started to have fits... :confused::confused::confused:
    so one day he collapsed we brought him straigh to the vet... she could have give him a few shots to help him... but she said this was the begining of the end... he was noe blind too and for a dog that was very independant it was horrible to see.. plus being blind brought out alot of aggression in him... :confused::confused::confused: the poor guy had been through enough.. so he died... he was 13.... what kills me is i got him on the day of my 8th birthday and he died on my 21st birthday.... it killed me...

we have very fond memories of him... he was an amazing dog!!
    Ill try and post a pic over the weekend... ill have to scan it in...

you should post a pic of your guy :D:D

• Advertisement

cocker5 wrote: »
    no he's talking about ....

http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_eskimo_dog/index.cfm

http://www.americaneskimo.com/

similar to what in ireland is called Japanese Spitz...

http://www.japanesespitz.info/

Egar,

Thats' mad... we have never met anyone else in Irealnd with an American Eskimo... :eek::eek:

We moved to Canada in 1996 just outside Toronto... we got him in November 1999... he was such a deadly puppy... but didnt like strangers at all... he was very easy to train... super clever too! he was a standard... beautiful dog ! He was my best friend!

We moved back to Ireland in August 2003 and he had to go into quarentine for the six months... but they didnt have space for im until 3 months after we left, so infact between kennels and lissenhall he way away for 9 months :confused:

To be very honest we thought lissenhall was TERRIBLE... after 3 months we were allowed to visit him.... the poor guy was a state.. he had little bites marks all over the hindlegs from what we think were rats bites , he looked soooo depressed... even though he had all his shots etc (with vet proof) lissenhall insisted in giving him another rabbies shot... :confused::confused: which in turn lead to his health problems....

anyway after we got him home.... he was very protective...NO ONE apart from us could go near him or he would go MENTAL.... after a few years he got to know some of our friends / neighbours and thats was good... but took him YEARS to trust people... great guard dog!

When he was about 10 he developed diabaetes (Spelling??)... he had to get daily injections , we had to test his urine each day etc... this last about 4 years annd he had a good four years ... but then he started to go blind from his health problems and he started to have fits... :confused::confused::confused:
    so one day he collapsed we brought him straigh to the vet... she could have give him a few shots to help him... but she said this was the begining of the end... he was noe blind too and for a dog that was very independant it was horrible to see.. plus being blind brought out alot of aggression in him... :confused::confused::confused: the poor guy had been through enough.. so he died... he was 13.... what kills me is i got him on the day of my 8th birthday and he died on my 21st birthday.... it killed me...

we have very fond memories of him... he was an amazing dog!!
    Ill try and post a pic over the weekend... ill have to scan it in...

you should post a pic of your guy :D:D

I guess the miniature American Eskimo is similar to the Jap Spitz, but American Eskimos are really White German Spitz and are more 'teddy bear' looking and Jap Spitz are really bred-down Samoyeds their coats are harsher and longer and they have much more Foxy pointed faces.
    The quarantine was gone when I came thru but went thru Lissenhall for the check after the airport, didn't like him, they took a pile of money just to basically scan the dog and look to see that he had been treated for worms and ticks the day before he flew. The Dept of Agriculture man in Ireland did all the approving and had sent my permit to travel after I had the blood test etc 6 months before I travelled. That cost nothing. I complained to the Dept about Lissenhall puls the courier, I felt ripped off when I came here, he charged 150euro to scan the dog and the courier another 100 0r 150 can't remember. Anyway, maybe your dog got too many sweet sugary treats or human biscuits? I assume that the diabetes caused the blindness cos they can get go blind from about 7 years. My 2 are from Eskimo rescue so I don't know if their eyes will be ok but my Dads dog had a genetic test he caries the gene but won't go blind. \one is 7 and the other is 6. When I first moved home it was so funny them being city dogs cows and horses really spooked them ha ha.
    My standard is loyal to me but likes young kids will goes right up to them but would nip a strange man or woman who tried to pet him, you know they like to be around a stranger for a while. The Mini is Chalkie and he is missing the tip of one ear, got frost bite in Chicago as the owner he has decided he wanted him to be an outdoor dog. He is very cross with strangers takes ages for him to warm up and he is bad with kids. But he sticks by me, if any one came too close when I am at the atm he let them know to back up, its great at night!
    I will post a few pics.

EGAR wrote: »
    Nope Overheal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Eskimo_Dog

They go by many names ;) and are not so rare.

They are quite common in the US but not many in Ireland, they have only one name, American Eskimo Dog but that name was given to them in the US during the WW1 before that they were German Spitz, so like the German Shepherd became Alsation (sp) they got the German out of their name. They are the original White German spitz and are in 3 sizes just like the current German spitz tho the German Spitz is in many colours, Eskies are just White. Not related to the Jap spitz even though the mini or mittel spitz is about the same size. The face is different. The Eskimo in their name is a bit confusing cos they are not sled dogs and even though they can handle cold weather they are no way equipped for it like Siberian Husky or Samoyeds, the are more loyal to owners. They could be eventually accepted by the IKC maybe just the Standard size. You know they were known in America 100 years ago as circus dogs they are very agile and learn tricks fast. I take mine to agility classes. Check this website http://pikatti.homestead.com/
    My dads dogcame from this breeder, his pic is there on a beach in Mayo with my Mother who has since passed. He is kobe now but he was Nigel with her or Pikatti's Stars in my Eyes listed in the section called 'Champions'
    Its a lovely website with great pictures, she would export a dog to Ireland but the rules say you must fly on the plane with they dog in the heated cargo hold!

Advertisement