Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Special one's get out clause

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Sources close to Real Madrid have revealed

Well if its in the Mirror it must be true, not like the Mirror to invent 'sources close to.....' for the sake of a story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Pauleta

In fairness and im not trying to diss Man United but why would you leave Real Madrid to go to Man United. It wouldnt make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

i'd say that's absolute horse****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

They're only being linked with Mourinho now 'cos its clear they wont be able to tempt Woy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭pokerface_me

Mr Alan wrote: »
    i'd say that's absolute horse****.

Actually i'd say its accurate enough, i was in Spain at the time when Jose took over and it was in the papers over there at the time. As far as i can remember it was something along the lines that it was a clause to go to Man Utd if he was offered the job and Real couldn't seek compensation, didn't mention about been a free agent every summer.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd say it's more to do with Jose being wary of Real and how much say he'll have in buying players etc. Makes sense for both sides tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Pauleta wrote: »
    In fairness and im not trying to diss Man United but why would you leave Real Madrid to go to Man United. It wouldnt make sense.

To join the greatest club in the world... It makes perfect sense.
    Despite the fact we're financially fu*ked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

The United Job is bigger than the Madrid job IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Degag wrote: »
    The United Job is bigger than the Madrid job IMO.

Ha! No, it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

I'll believe it when I see it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Ha! No, it's not.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Personally I wouldn't believe that for a minute. The United job has lost some of its appeal with the current state of the club and the fact that Manchester City in the same city is so flush with cash.

I'd imagine its much more likely that the next place Mourinho will want to manage is Germany and quite possibly Bayern Munich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Osu wrote: »
    How so?

*Patiently waits for Madrid vs United thread*

Ha! No, it's not.

I think so. Vicente Del Bosque was sacked in a season where he won the league and got to the final of the Champions League. Sure it's a great honour to get the job and it has prestige etc but could you see any manager conceivably stay there for 5 years let alone 25 years? Madrid are phonies and have been for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Well it is considering the Madrid job is usually one season and then the sack unless you win both the league and champions league. Madrid are a bigger club but apart from the Special one not many top managers would touch it. The United job will be the biggest considering the person will be following a Manager who could have been there nearly 30 years if he stays on a few more seasons!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't think United would need a clause, Madrid aren't exactly known for keeping managers on for long, regardless of success

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Degag wrote: »
    I think so. Vicente Del Bosque was sacked in a season where he won the league and got to the final of the Champions League. Sure it's a great honour to get the job and it has prestige etc but could you see any manager conceivably stay there for 5 years let alone 25 years? Madrid are phonies and have been for some time.

Doesn't make United a bigger job though, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Didn't Mourinho say he dosn't want to take over straight after Fergie as that job is basically a poisoned chalice when he leaves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

I'd say Madrid is the bigger job literally as having to win the league and champions league every year or your sacked dealing with the amount of ego's at Madrid and then the board, makes the united job seem easy almost as clubs I would say they are on a par with each other if you take "job" literally though Madrid is a far bigger job

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    Doesn't make United a bigger job though, does it?

In my opinion it does, yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

The ABUs certainly don't like the idea do they? But in the man's own words...
    "If you want me to rule out ever being Manchester United manager I can't.

"Special clubs need special managers so in theory it could work, but nobody knows what the future is in football.

"The England national team wanted me as coach and that is the biggest job in England, so I am sure when Sir Alex retires they will look at the best managers in the world and I certainly fall into the category."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/mar/08/jose-mourinho-manchester-united-internazionale

He is on record as saying he wants to go back to England one day so United are definitely a potential destination. I'm not convinced it would be a match made in heaven but for all the fun it would generate I'd be on board with it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he fancies going to the Theatre after being at the circus.

The ABUs certainly don't like the idea do they? But in the man's own words...

He is on record as saying he wants to go back to England one day so United are definitely a potential destination. I'm not convinced it would be a match made in heaven but for all the fun it would generate I'd be on board with it.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if he fancies going to the Theatre after being at the circus.
    I'm not an ABU first off.

I stated earlier that I don't believe for one second that he would be looking for a line in his contract specific to United.

I also stated that imo based on what he has done to date that the Bundesliga must appeal to him for his next stop if he wins the title with Real Madrid.

Personally I believe that if he was to come back to England that Manchester City is a more likely destination and United fans wouldn't like that. The reason being that all he can do at United is try to emulate Ferguson is a shorter time span. With City he would be achieve legendary status with on EPL as they haven't won a title in over 40 years.

Actually it would be quite weird but funny if he was to follow Mancini at City like he did at Inter.

eagle eye wrote: »
    I'm not an ABU first off.

I stated earlier that I don't believe for one second that he would be looking for a line in his contract specific to United.

I also stated that imo based on what he has done to date that the Bundesliga must appeal to him for his next stop if he wins the title with Real Madrid.

Personally I believe that if he was to come back to England that Manchester City is a more likely destination and United fans wouldn't like that. The reason being that all he can do at United is try to emulate Ferguson is a shorter time span. With City he would be achieve legendary status with on EPL as they haven't won a title in over 40 years.

Actually it would be quite weird but funny if he was to follow Mancini at City like he did at Inter.

Has he said he wants to manage in Germany? I've not heard him say that. I have read comments from him at Inter where he said he wanted to manage in Spain, go back to England, and one day become Portugal manager. He seems like a goal-oriented guy so I'd be surprised if he deviates from the plans he has in mind.

City is a potential destination (if they get C.L. football, which they should) but I doubt achieving legendary status appeals to him much. He did that at Chelsea surely. He could go back to Chelsea of course but that would surprise me. As far as I can see that just leaves United as a potential destination in England. I think it's been stated by the club that they will consult Ferguson as part of their plans to find a successor and I'd be astonished if he doesn't cite him as a candidate. Whether we get him is a different story. The lack of funds available for him I think would be the main problem.

Has he said he wants to manage in Germany? I've not heard him say that. I have read comments from him at Inter where he said he wanted to manage in Spain, go back to England, and one day become Portugal manager. He seems like a goal-oriented guy so I'd be surprised if he deviates from the plans he has in mind.

City is a potential destination (if they get C.L. football, which they should) but I doubt achieving legendary status appeals to him much. He did that at Chelsea surely. He could go back to Chelsea of course but that would surprise me. As far as I can see that just leaves United as a potential destination in England. I think it's been stated by the club that they will consult Ferguson as part of their plans to find a successor and I'd be astonished if he doesn't cite him as a candidate. Whether we get him is a different story. The lack of funds available for him I think would be the main problem.
    I don't see how you rule out City because you say he has the legendary status at Chelsea. Lets be fair the guy has a huge ego(for example calling himself the special one), so any chance to further his legacy like that is very appealing to him.

Its also why I can see Bayern as a really appealing job for him. They win leagues but they covet another Champion's league success and winning a Bundesliga and CL with a German team would add greatly to his legacy. Think about it that would mean he had won the league title in the four biggest leagues in Europe(if he succeeds in Spain) and that is what drives the man along with his great passion for the game.

United at the present time have money issues, and without money things become very difficult even for great managers. Right now United have a goalkeeper who turns 40 in October, Rio who seems to have lost his form a bit and has become very injury prone, Evra and JOS will be 30 by the end of next season and then you have Gary Neville, Giggs and Scholes. There is a serious amount of work to be done at United over the next couple of years and the money doesn't seem to be there at the present time. I don't think the United job would appeal to Mourinho at the present time, maybe if the financial situation improves but not right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

As far as I can see that just leaves United as a potential destination in England. I think it's been stated by the club that they will consult Ferguson as part of their plans to find a successor and I'd be astonished if he doesn't cite him as a candidate. Whether we get him is a different story. The lack of funds available for him I think would be the main problem.

Why not Liverpool? He stays at Real for 3 years goes to Spain (Which he said he wants to) and then who's to say in 6 years + he won't want to go to Liverpool/any other English club. Before Rafa took over Mourinho was hinting heavily at getting the Liverpool job, apparently he even had a Liverpool screen saver on his phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

I'm sure he'll be back in England. I'm also pretty sure he'll be at one of these three clubs, United, City or Liverpool. All 3 offer different attractiveness and each as different options which could masage his ego. Turning a fallen giant around to be league champions, Liverpool. Giving direction to a club that could go on to be one of the biggest in England with pretty much unlimited funds available for whatever he desiresm, City. Succeeding the longest and most successful coach in PL history and making his own stamp, Utd. All three would also offer the second cherry of giving him the platform of Taking on and potentially beating Chelski and giving two fingers to Roman. Depending on who is looking and at what state each of the three clubs is when Real no longer want him or he gets bored will go a bit to seeing who wants him more. As a Liverpool fan I wouldn't mind him as a manager but that depends on how Roy gets on this season.

Anyway just my $0.02c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I'll be a sad panda if he goes to United.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

It wouldn't surprise me if there was some kind of sanity clause. does it exist ? hard to tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭timetogetfit

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    Why not Liverpool? He stays at Real for 3 years goes to Spain (Which he said he wants to) and then who's to say in 6 years + he won't want to go to Liverpool/any other English club. Before Rafa took over Mourinho was hinting heavily at getting the Liverpool job, apparently he even had a Liverpool screen saver on his phone.

He definitely wont go to liverpool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Article is a mess, meh.

No Jose please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He definitely wont go to liverpool
    Not under the current conditions, no, but in the future its as strong a possibility as any.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I think a man with an ego like Mourinho's would LOVE to take on the challenge of replacing Sir Alex. United could also offer him a chance to build a dynasty, something he has spoken of before. I think that wherever he goes after Madrid, he will fancy staying there a bit longer than his previous stays at a club. Other than international football, if Mourinho is succesful at Madrid, the only thing he will not have done in club football will be to build and rebuild a team in the way Ferguson does at United. He very much has his eye on his overall legacy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Not under the current conditions, no, but in the future its as strong a possibility as any.

I'd imagine ye will have to re establish yourselves as a top 4 team again before a manager of Mourinho's calibre would be interested in taking charge. That's not going to be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Lukker- wrote: »
    *Patiently waits for Madrid vs United thread*

It's not about United Vs Madrid, it's about stepping into the shoes of one of the greatest managers of all time, versus a club with a higher staff turnover than a local McDonald's.

Being a successful manager at United, can make you a legend, being a successful manager at Madrid invariably gets you the sack. Has a manager at Madrid ever had a spell >5 years? Ever?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

davyjose wrote: »
    Ever?
    yes... granted its been a couple of decades... It'll be interesting to see how attractive an option united will be when fergie leaves. Jose is just racking up league titles. I think he'll want to settle down soon enough. He knows Madrid is not that place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Sure he is on record as saying he wanted to join Liverpool. I didn't think for a second he was going to join us a few weeks ago..

He will join United if and when it suits him and if the club still want thim them. He is a very talented guy and even better at picking the right club at the right time. He would be a lunatic to join United immediately after AF quits - especially if the owners haven't changed.

I think a man with an ego like Mourinho's would LOVE to take on the challenge of replacing Sir Alex. United could also offer him a chance to build a dynasty, something he has spoken of before. I think that wherever he goes after Madrid, he will fancy staying there a bit longer than his previous stays at a club. Other than international football, if Mourinho is succesful at Madrid, the only thing he will not have done in club football will be to build and rebuild a team in the way Ferguson does at United. He very much has his eye on his overall legacy.

It's very easy to convince yourself of anything. Here is an example of how a Liverpool fan would do it.

Which would a man of Jose's ego prefer. To replace AF at United who are typically favourites for the league and who's fans are used to winning everything around them. Or take over Liverpool, a team that haven't won the league in 20 years who's fans are desperate to win the league.

Sure he is on record as saying he wanted to join Liverpool. I didn't think for a second he was going to join us a few weeks ago..

He will join United if and when it suits him and if the club still want thim them. He is a very talented guy and even better at picking the right club at the right time. He would be a lunatic to join United immediately after AF quits - especially if the owners haven't changed.

Can you find a quote from him saying that he'd like to go to Liverpool in recent times? As in the last year or so? Here is another one from him saying he'd like to go to United:
    "I would consider going to Manchester United but United have to consider if they want me to succeed Sir Alex Ferguson," he said. "If they do, then of course.

"I like England, where the fans are very passionate and make the game a beautiful occasion with such an incredible atmosphere."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/manutd/5922714/Jose-Mourinho-wants-to-succeed-Sir-Alex-Ferguson-at-Manchester-United.html

It's hard to scoff at the idea he wants to go to United when he is making these kind of statements. His good relationship with Ferguson is well known so his influence could be very significant when he decides to go back to England. Liverpool surely won't be in his sights unless they get back into Champions League football.

Can you find a quote from him saying that he'd like to go to Liverpool in recent times? As in the last year or so? Here is another one from him saying he'd like to go to United:

I will see what I can find. I am nearly sure there are a few out there.

There was also something that recently came out that revealed that Rafa won the competition to be appointed LFC manager ahead of Jose.

It's hard to scoff at the idea he wants to go to United when he is making these kind of statements. His good relationship with Ferguson is well known so his influence could be very significant when he decides to go back to England. Liverpool surely won't be in his sights unless they get back into Champions League football.

I have no doubt that he wants to join United at some stage. No doubts about it in the slighest. I don't think anyone is arguing that though.

It is the notion that a club like Real Madrid allowed something like this to be written into his contract that is being disputed.

I will see what I can find. I am nearly sure there are a few out there.

There was also something that recently came out that revealed that Rafa won the competition to be appointed LFC manager ahead of Jose.

This is the best that I can find - most of the quotes are old now:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2377496/Mourinho-would-prefer-Liverpool.html
    Chelsea's new managerial target, Jose Mourinho, has expressed his reservations about taking over at the richest club in the world and admitted that a side such as Liverpool would be better for fulfilling his ambitions of working in the Premiership.

The Porto coach was at the centre of a surprise approach by Chelsea's billionaire owner, Roman Abramovich, and his chief executive, Peter Kenyon, this week but has said that he feels the huge investment in the club makes it an "uncertain project".

The 41-year-old is known to prefer taking on the challenge of Liverpool, where he would be seen as the man to lead them back to former glories, much like Sir Alex Ferguson when he took over at Manchester United in November 1986.

Mourinho said: "Liverpool are a team that interests everyone and Chelsea does not interest me so much because it is a new project with lots of money invested in it. I think it is a project which, if the club fail to win everything, then Abramovich could retire and take the money out of the club. It's an uncertain project.

"It is interesting for a coach to have the money to hire quality players but you never know if a project like this will bring success."

The comments by Mourinho were made in an interview in Portugal two months ago but the coach, whose Porto side drew 0-0 with Deportivo La Coruna in the Champions League semi-final first leg on Wednesday, was reluctant to discuss his future this week.

Asked about an approach from Chelsea, Mourinho said: "I'm interested in getting to the final, in winning our next league match and being Portuguese champions - then beating La Coruna. Are Chelsea interested in me?"

Newcastle manager Sir Bobby Robson has defended his Chelsea counterpart, Claudio Ranieri, who is under growing pressure following the 3-1 Champions League defeat by Monaco on Tuesday.

"He made a bold decision when it was 1-1 and 10 men against 11," Robson said. "At that stage the coach went to win it and the decision to change the team at that time was a good one."

• Advertisement

It doesn't surprise me that he was interested in the Liverpool job prior to going to Chelsea but it's fair to say his profile has skyrocketed since then. If he became available now he'd be the most sought after manager in world football. Liverpool not being in the Champions League makes them less attractive to him nowadays it's fair to say. If they are back there by the time his Madrid stint finishes then I'm sure it's a possible destination along with Chelsea and maybe Man City, but he seems to be plotting a course for United at the moment.

Ultimately I think what he wants from his next England stint is both a challenge and an ego boost. He wasn't liked in Italy and it remains to be seen how he'll be received in Spain. They might not take to him either and if that's the case, I suspect he will want to go back to England where he will have the media in love with him (Sky especially) and the fans quite pleased to see a big character back. That's why I think whatever happens in Spain, England will be his next destination. I'd be surprised myself if he had it in writing that he can go to manage United, but I genuinely think it's what he has in mind for his next England adventure. To be able to say he managed both Real Madrid and Man United would be something I think his ego would find tough to refuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I always got the impression he had feelings for Liverpool. I remember him praising the atmosphere the Liverpool fans create on European nights and saying he'd love if Chelsea fans could do the same.

I know someone will probably mention the time he made gestures to the Liverpool fans and they went mental but he probably loved their response.

To be honest though, i don't think he would go near either Liverpool or Man United unless they sorted their problems out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I think people on both sides of this argument are getting into this too deep. Mourinho just has a clause that will let him leave at the end of the season. It obviously does not mention United specifically. But that does not mean that Mourinho is not keeping a close eye on the situation at United.
    Recent reports from AS and Marca have confirmed that Jose Mourinho’s deal with Real Madrid contains an annual mutual termination clause. This means that both coach and club can terminate the contract after every season for the four years in his contract without having any financial restraints.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/418589-jose-mourinho-and-real-madrid-whos-the-player-and-whos-the-game

Advertisement