Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BN104 - Computing

Options
  • 11-07-2010 1:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

Hey all,

I got my offer for BN104 the other day and I'm very excited, just curious if there are any current/past students of the course who are around to give some tips and/or experiences they've had.

I'm curious what languages are taught in first year, I suspect its Java but I'm not entirely sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Hey all,

I got my offer for BN104 the other day and I'm very excited, just curious if there are any current/past students of the course who are around to give some tips and/or experiences they've had.

I'm curious what languages are taught in first year, I suspect its Java but I'm not entirely sure.

Tips: Practice, practice, and practice and you'll never have a problem with networking or languages, and don't skip long worksheets that are only worth a few marks because you think it wont matter in the long run....it does :rolleyes::D. And do assignments early...or shizz will pile up

Languages you'll learn are: Java, C, some ASM (very little), CSS + HTML. Java being the main one, followed by C.

And above all, if you need help, ask for it :) (and try not to skip classes too much, if at all :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Terrynova3y2

Nice one thanks!

I've got a bit of experience with Java so that should give me a heads up.

Looking forward to September :D

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭brendanL

Second year here,

Same stuff to say as KonFusion basically,

HTML,MYSQL,Java,C, some C++ at one point, PHP. Depending on choices in second year you could do some JavaScript or javaServlets.

Other than that.. lots of networking.. mostly routers in first year, then switchs then all that combined ;D.

Most of all turn up to everything thats REALLY really important. Even if you don't study hard you should do fine if not great just by turning up and doing the work. So go to all lectures,labs tutorials and you'll fly though it.

...and do every test during a semester... all that continous assesment or CA adds up..... if you get plenty than you've passed a subject before you walk into an exam.

Most importantly :D join a society if your into gaming/computers join 'The Computer Society' ;D there are many others also that basically give you cool stuff to do inbetween classes which means you don't get bored... saves us from ourselves ;D

Excellent. I definitely plan on joining a few societies, the Computer one sounds awesome from what I've read on the website.

No intention on slacking but I like the idea of being able to make up marks outside of exams, I do better with projects than I would in a test so this sounds like it'll suit me down to the ground.

I've been wanting to learn a bit of PHP too so thats great news.

I'm still waiting to get my letter from ITB (accepted through CAO website) so I'm wondering when classes start, is it the second week of September or earlier/later?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Playsatan

While not related to computing I will say this:

Third level is very different from second level. Try work out a schedule that works for you. If you miss a class in the morning, go to one of the other groups and catch up. Talk to the lecturers if you have a problem, theres nothing wrong with asking.

You will be given a network drive that you can access from most of the PC's on campus but if you want to have access to your files from home I recommend dropbox (referal link). It makes a dedicated folder on any PC that you install it on and keeps them all in sync using the cloud. Plus it acts as a backup in case you accidentally delete a file.

• Advertisement

I use Dropbox myself too and it can be a lifesaver when you forget files, I can imagine it definitely coming in handy this year.

Excellent. I definitely plan on joining a few societies, the Computer one sounds awesome from what I've read on the website.

No intention on slacking but I like the idea of being able to make up marks outside of exams, I do better with projects than I would in a test so this sounds like it'll suit me down to the ground.

I've been wanting to learn a bit of PHP too so thats great news.

I'm still waiting to get my letter from ITB (accepted through CAO website) so I'm wondering when classes start, is it the second week of September or earlier/later?

If you accepted the CAO offer than a letter is more then likely on the way.
    As to when first years start I'm not so sure, but the letter will be more than informative ;D this year I believe it's the college's intention to have a one week long induction, that only applies to Computer Science guys as far as I know. I think I'm helping out at the induction week at so I'll see you around :D.

So far as I remember on registration day.. ie the first day for me.... maybe different this time around for you guys, we had to find our way to A57... basically a big room the college makes use of at registration time to register students and give them their student cards. A57 is in A block ;) if you get lost ask anybody around. After registration the student union grabbed us and we went off on induction ;). Everything was easy after that.

Your pack that will arrive from ITB will more then likely explain most of that... other then the fact it may be a different room this year. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Playsatan

Said pack includes noodles and a twix !

Playsatan wrote: »
    Said pack includes noodles and a twix !

Is that not the one you get in college....as I never got mailed a twix XD oh well another missed oppertunity XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 velvet5

Hey all,

This course is one of the best of its kind in Dublin esp when it comes to IT.
    You should definitely take this opportunity and go for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Cant think of a decent username

hey, i got offered a place on BN104 as well and BN012 (computer engineering ).
    Tbh with you i had my heart set on DT211 ( computing in DIT ) but i missed out by 10 points thanks to the ridiculous change from last years ..... so i don't know which course to pick now.
    I also have a back up PLC in dun laoighre which is one year and i can get in to DT211 with it but should i just go ahead and do BN104 ? like is there much of a difference between it and the dit course ?? i know theres no option to do internship with BN104 but as for the rest is it just the same stuff or what ??
    any help would be seriously appreciated ! Haven't the faintest idea as to what i should do .........

hey, i got offered a place on BN104 as well and BN012 (computer engineering ).
    Tbh with you i had my heart set on DT211 ( computing in DIT ) but i missed out by 10 points thanks to the ridiculous change from last years ..... so i don't know which course to pick now.
    I also have a back up PLC in dun laoighre which is one year and i can get in to DT211 with it but should i just go ahead and do BN104 ? like is there much of a difference between it and the dit course ?? i know theres no option to do internship with BN104 but as for the rest is it just the same stuff or what ??
    any help would be seriously appreciated ! Haven't the faintest idea as to what i should do .........

Well I suggest simply sitting down with a pen and paper and weighing up your options by making two columns, good and bad, write down all the things you can think of for each choice, within a few minutes, hopefully it'll become clear, in terms of what to write, write anything, how happy you are to do that course, how easy is it, and finally the most important how do I get to it everyday for the next few years. It's too big a decision to decide just in your head, cold hard paper usually makes things clear and might set you at ease.

Although, I will mention that there is no guarantee that even after you do the plc there is still a chance you won't get into DIT that year, due to a huge number of mature students applying, mere speculation, but it's worth the thought. Although it may be worth it as hiding out in college during the 'recession' seems to be the best plan at the moment, so perhaps a lengthy entry process into DIT may not be so bad after all.

Have you been to both colleges, it may help you decide whether this is were I'm happy to be. No point going somewhere your not happy to be, you'll just get bored/unhappy. You'll always have the niggly feeling about the choice you make no matter what, but being atleast 70% sure you'll enjoy a course is good enough ;D

brendanL wrote: »
    Well I suggest simply sitting down with a pen and paper and weighing up your options by making two columns, good and bad, write down all the things you can think of for each choice, within a few minutes, hopefully it'll become clear, in terms of what to write, write anything, how happy you are to do that course, how easy is it, and finally the most important how do I get to it everyday for the next few years. It's too big a decision to decide just in your head, cold hard paper usually makes things clear and might set you at ease.

Although, I will mention that there is no guarantee that even after you do the plc there is still a chance you won't get into DIT that year, due to a huge number of mature students applying, mere speculation, but it's worth the thought. Although it may be worth it as hiding out in college during the 'recession' seems to be the best plan at the moment, so perhaps a lengthy entry process into DIT may not be so bad after all.

Have you been to both colleges, it may help you decide whether this is were I'm happy to be. No point going somewhere your not happy to be, you'll just get bored/unhappy. You'll always have the niggly feeling about the choice you make no matter what, but being atleast 70% sure you'll enjoy a course is good enough ;D

just got off the phone with DIT second round offer is very unlikely, slightly bummed out but whatever !
    i have a good few bob saved up so i can dig into that for a car and sure im only in leixlip so its pretty close !
    I think weighing everything up it looks like BN104 is the best option, as you said i could end up not getting into DIT after doing the plc. So rather then waste the opportunity i have, im gona go for it lol plus id say blanch is a bit more of a laugh anyways cause you have more of a mix of courses rather then just maths heads lol

I meant to ask in one of my earlier posts but forgot. Can anyone tell me what kind of maths you do in this course. I've been having a bit of a panic attack since it's been about 8 years since I've done my leaving cert and all I learnt then is pretty much gone. Also if anyone knows, does the college offer any kind of refresher for mature students?

I meant to ask in one of my earlier posts but forgot. Can anyone tell me what kind of maths you do in this course. I've been having a bit of a panic attack since it's been about 8 years since I've done my leaving cert and all I learnt then is pretty much gone. Also if anyone knows, does the college offer any kind of refresher for mature students?

the maths requirement was a D3 in ord. so you should be grand, definitely nothing major to catch up on

The maths in the first year of the course is pretty much ordinary level leaving cert maths (with a few other stuff relevant to computing which ain't that hard). There are extra maths classes(refresher classes in a way) throughout the second semester for those who need that extra help.

Don't worry too much, all mature students think it's gonna be a horrendous part.

But the course starts off at a point where they want all students to be at the same level, so they start with basics and work there way up, I know a mature student who hadn't been in school in about 25 years and he survived just fine. However, the start maths will be easy for any leaving cert student coming straight from school, so naturally they will have an advantage and more than likely pay little or no attention at the start where as you'll need to be paying a lot ;D , but your not expected to know stuff already.

If you get lost, pluck up the courage and say 'I'm lost'/'I'm not sure what you mean' ;D the lecturers will love you for asking it and go head over heels to explain something, and their usually not happy until they feel you understand. They can generally tell when half the room is sitting there staring of into bemused space that don't know whats going on. But if you don't ask they don't know where to start and explain from. Trust me, ask questions if you start getting lost ;D

If that doesn't set you mind at ease, grab a copy of a secondary school book text and tests, Theres six of them, grab book one and two, best maths books ever written ;D. The only thing you need to look at in them is algebra.
    ^ I only say that if your totally freaked, you should be just fine walking in only knowing 1+1=2 ;D everything else the lecturers show you how to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

I assume for the computing that they assume that nobody knows anything about scripting etc? If not I'm screwed for computing:s

I assume for the computing that they assume that nobody knows anything about scripting etc? If not I'm screwed for computing:s

They assume you know nothing about computing whatsoever and begin completely from scratch.

brendanL wrote: »
    Don't worry too much, all mature students think it's gonna be a horrendous part.

But the course starts off at a point where they want all students to be at the same level, so they start with basics and work there way up, I know a mature student who hadn't been in school in about 25 years and he survived just fine. However, the start maths will be easy for any leaving cert student coming straight from school, so naturally they will have an advantage and more than likely pay little or no attention at the start where as you'll need to be paying a lot ;D , but your not expected to know stuff already.

If you get lost, pluck up the courage and say 'I'm lost'/'I'm not sure what you mean' ;D the lecturers will love you for asking it and go head over heels to explain something, and their usually not happy until they feel you understand. They can generally tell when half the room is sitting there staring of into bemused space that don't know whats going on. But if you don't ask they don't know where to start and explain from. Trust me, ask questions if you start getting lost ;D

If that doesn't set you mind at ease, grab a copy of a secondary school book text and tests, Theres six of them, grab book one and two, best maths books ever written ;D. The only thing you need to look at in them is algebra.
    ^ I only say that if your totally freaked, you should be just fine walking in only knowing 1+1=2 ;D everything else the lecturers show you how to do.

Cheers for that, made me feel a lot better. I picked up a basic algebra book just to refresh my memory and it started coming back to me so all is not lost lol.

Thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Caffro

Got accepted to BN104 can't wait to start on thursday, should be awesome :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Argh I just noticed BN104 is a level 8. I thought it was a level 7. So I didn't apply for it. I applied for BN103 which is level 7. Requirments were absically the same.

Damn:(

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭donfarrell

Argh I just noticed BN104 is a level 8. I thought it was a level 7. So I didn't apply for it. I applied for BN103 which is level 7. Requirments were absically the same.

Damn:(

Them courses are the exact same and they are merged together upuntil year 3 and then you can go on into BN104 in 4th year :)

Advertisement