Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway - Limerick road

Options
  • 11-07-2010 4:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

i am wondering if anyone could help.

I live in Oranmore in Galway and have been offered a job in Limerick. I know there is currently road works on the galway-limerick road and I am wondering is it realistic to be able to communte from galway to limerick daily to work.

Thank you

molly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

According to VM it'll take an hour and half but it depends on when you leave. It'll cost you 8.75 euro per journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The roadworks are the killer depending on your start time/finish time.

So if you are travelling back and forth 5 times a week it's €87.50 per week on fuel according to that site Biko linked.

That's €350 a month(well, every 4 weeks) Yikes! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Do you mind me asking roughly where in Limerick OP?

From Oranmore to the Dock road in Limerick it should take you under the 90 minutes; Shannon can be done in 45minutes from Oranmore if the road is quiet. That said the roadworks in Gort at the moment are slowing the journey up a lot at the moment.

It's a journey I have to do a lot with my business, and it is doable, and plenty of people do do it. However it is a an extremely frustrating drive and the road between Gort and Crusheen will drive you insane on a daily basis. However the new road will apparently be up and running in a few months and that is going to make an enormous difference(I can't wait:p). Couple that with the tunnel opning early next year and it will become a very easy journey. But obviously the toll costs would be a factor too.

If you are working the Tipp side of Limerick you could look at going via Tulla/Broadford instead as that would be much quicker for you; albeit not a very good road.

The morning traffic in Limerick isn't fantastic; but it moves much quicker than that in Galway.

As long as you have a diesel car and you are good at getting up in the mornings it can be done:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

tunnel?

A tunnel is opening early next year that will run under that Shannon; motorists will enter somewhere near Bunratty and come out the Cork/Kerry/Cement factory end of the Dock road. It's pretty much ready to go; people were able to walk it a few weeks ago. But it won't open til next year. Granted it will be tolled but if you've ever been stuck on the dock road in Limerick in the evening you'd gladly pay any toll to avoid it:p

• Advertisement

It's doable. I know someone who commutes from Oranmore to Castletroy everday.

Once the Gort - Crusheen motorway and Shannon tunnel open it should be easier.

Saying that I wouldn't like to be commuting that much each day. You would have to make early starts to avoid problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,500 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

The Love Tunnel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

There's going to be a seaplane OP, a seaplane! Imagine that, commute by seaplane, only 22 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Spagellian wrote: »
    A tunnel is opening early next year that will run under that Shannon; motorists will enter somewhere near Bunratty and come out the Cork/Kerry/Cement factory end of the Dock road. It's pretty much ready to go; people were able to walk it a few weeks ago. But it won't open til next year. Granted it will be tolled but if you've ever been stuck on the dock road in Limerick in the evening you'd gladly pay any toll to avoid it:p

The tunnel is opening next week, July 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

molly09 wrote: »
    Hi guys

i am wondering if anyone could help.

I live in Oranmore in Galway and have been offered a job in Limerick. I know there is currently road works on the galway-limerick road and I am wondering is it realistic to be able to communte from galway to limerick daily to work.

Thank you

molly

Depending on your start times and where in Limerick, have you considered the train, or even the bus...

• Advertisement

The tunnel is opening next week, July 16th.

Really?? I had heard that the Gort stretch would open in September but that the tunnel wouldn't be opening until early next year. Was a bit confused by that as they even have signs up and everything but the poeploe I've spoken to about it seemed adamant it wouldn't be open til next year. Cool if it is opening soon; I have to go to Cork a lot also over the next while so win win:)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I've drive that road at weekends regularly and I have to say it would drive me nuts to have to deal with it every day. It might not be too bad in the morning but the evenings would be a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

Really?? I had heard that the Gort stretch would open in September but that the tunnel wouldn't be opening until early next year. Was a bit confused by that as they even have signs up and everything but the poeploe I've spoken to about it seemed adamant it wouldn't be open til next year. Cool if it is opening soon; I have to go to Cork a lot also over the next while so win win:)

I think your opening dates are mixed up! That road wont be open to soon but the tunnel is practically ready to go.

darrenh wrote: »
    I think your opening dates are mixed up! That road wont be open to soon but the tunnel is practically ready to go.

Perhaps they got the dates mixed up then!! All good either way:p

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

OP could get train from Craughwell or Ardrahan if it suited, depending of course where she will be working in Limerick. The Gort road works are a nusiance at the moment but they should be finished within the next month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

HI Guys

Thanks so much for all of your replies, I did not know anything about a tunnel, I would be worjing from 9.30 to 5 in around thormund Pk side of limerick.

How much do you think it would coast in fuel if i got a desiel car.

Thanks so much for your help

Molly

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

molly09 wrote: »
    HI Guys

Thanks so much for all of your replies, I did not know anything about a tunnel, I would be worjing from 9.30 to 5 in around thormund Pk side of limerick.

How much do you think it would coast in fuel if i got a desiel car.

Thanks so much for your help

Molly

Depends on what diesel car you get but perhaps something like
    90km*2=180 km return
    *00.8 liter/km
    *1.30 (rough cost of diesel) = €18.72
    So say about €20 per return trip with stops / holdup in traffic so about €100 / week i'd say, possibly more and that is only the cost of the fuel remember.

To be honest though I think you would go insane in the membrane doing this every day. But, it is hard to find a job though so this may be your only option . So, depending on the type of job you are doing, if it is office-based is it an option for you to ask to work from home lets say 2 days a week, then it would possibly be bearable and you would save €160-200 per month. Just an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Do you mind me asking roughly where in Limerick OP?

From Oranmore to the Dock road in Limerick it should take you under the 90 minutes; Shannon can be done in 45minutes from Oranmore if the road is quiet.

How on earth does it take 45mins to get to the Dock road in Limerick from shannon unless you are on a honda 50?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

OP,

from what I've seen from the bus 2 weeks ago, from Oranmore, you'll have to add some time for the road works in Gort as a start, although I've never seen it early morning/school run time. Going into Limerick the main road there is a bit of tailback at all times before you hit the new motorway connections as lanes were merged at a roundabout before or at the tesco coonacross. The roadway to get onto and across the bridge has always had a tailback...

I've seen signs for park and ride to thormound park itself either at shannon airport or limerick itself. Not sure if that is still running though.

maybe worth while a dry run in the car or by bus or checking out the train?

amiable wrote: »
    How on earth does it take 45mins to get to the Dock road in Limerick from shannon unless you are on a honda 50?

if you were hitting the city between 8 and 9 it would. I'm factoring traffic into that timescale. I mean going to the end of the dock rd btw.

OP, my car is diesel, sizeable enough cc but very fuel efficient. I drive by the tank so I couldn't tell you the cost per journey as such, but what I can say is that my car does about 1000kms to the tank, which is about 70euros worth at the moment; and those 1000kms would be spread out between long trips and city driving because of my business, driving on good and bad roads. We have a company jeep which is sometimes used depending, but it is a lot less fuel efficient.

Hope this is of some help:)

• Advertisement

OP,

from what I've seen from the bus 2 weeks ago, from Oranmore, you'll have to add some time for the road works in Gort as a start, although I've never seen it early morning/school run time. Going into Limerick the main road there is a bit of tailback at all times before you hit the new motorway connections as lanes were merged at a roundabout before or at the tesco coonacross. The roadway to get onto and across the bridge has always had a tailback...

I've seen signs for park and ride to thormound park itself either at shannon airport or limerick itself. Not sure if that is still running though.

maybe worth while a dry run in the car or by bus or checking out the train?

I would imagine those signs for Park and Ride to Thomond Park are for match days.

if you were hitting the city between 8 and 9 it would. I'm factoring traffic into that timescale. I mean going to the end of the dock rd btw.

I regularly do that journey and it doesn't

amiable wrote: »
    I regularly do that journey and it doesn't

Good for you. I guess some of us are more realistic about our journey times than others.

Btw if you read my original post I never actually said Shannon to the Dock road would rake 45minutes. That was your assumption. I said the whole journey would take under 90minutes; which is reasonable. If you are making the journey in a lot less time than that you are either travelling very early in the morning or not driving safely.

Good for you. I guess some of us are more realistic about our journey times than others.

Btw if you read my original post I never actually said Shannon to the Dock road would rake 45minutes. That was your assumption. I said the whole journey would take under 90minutes; which is reasonable. If you are making the journey in a lot less time than that you are either travelling very early in the morning or not driving safely.

So you just reproached me for making an assumption and then you go on to make an assumption. Well done.
    I make that journey regularly between 8 and 9 in about 30 mins sticking within speed limit

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kellsum

Just a thought OP if you are going to thomond pk you will not be taking the new tunnell road and would avoid paying that part of the toll.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Steamer

I travel from Renmore to Ennis everyday for work and it takes me an hour. Now you must factor in the ten minutes it takes to get off the bypass at Ennis and another ten minutes to get from Renmore to Oranmore roughly so I would say you would hit the roundabouts outside Limerick in over an hour (70 minutes we'll say) from Oranmore. Then it depends how far you have to go from there. That is including doing the 120kph on the motorway section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Gort and Crusheen (as well as the horrible section of narrow, dangerous, single carriageway road in between with pretty much no good overtaking opportunities) will be bypassed by a motorway in a few more months (possibly Novemeber but I'm not too sure). Should take 20 mins at least off journey times.

The Limerick Tunnel and Southern Ring Road is opening this Friday which means you can bypass the city if you need to (can take up to an hour to get through the city sometimes now). Even if the tunnel isn't the best route for where you are going in Limerick, traffic should be lighter going through the city after the tunnel opens.
    Remember the Tunnel is tolled though (€1.80)..

I drive the road most Monday mornings and Friday evenings and it can be quite a painful section of road. Its not so bad early in the mornings where it takes me about 1 hour 15 mins or a bit more to get from north co. Galway to the first roundabout outside Limerick, that would be about 1 hour from Oranmore. If you get caught it could be longer but on occasion I have got a good run and with some spirited driving I have made it from Oranmore to limerick in about 50 mins tough that would be an exception.

Evenings can be very painful at times with clowns driving at 30 or 40mph which can add a lot of time to your journey. On average and with a bit of luck Oranmore to the outside of Limerick should take about an hour the return in the evening could be longer though. It will be easily an hour when the new section of motorway opens which should also cut out some of the annoying sections which would drive you mad on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I did this journey today, in the name of science...or because I was going to Cork . I live in Oranmore as well.

It took to the Jurys Hotel on the bridge which I assume is the same distance as to Thormond (Wrong?) - 1h and 10 mins pretty much exactly. I was speeding a tiny bit on the motor way though to balance out crawling through Gort etc.

On the way back it was pretty much the same

One thing though...if you get stuck behind a (slow, of course) car/truck/bus AFTER the motorway on the way back there is pretty much no safe place to overtake this until...Oranmore. Really annoying for me anyway.

I left at 7.45 by the way, forgot to add that

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Thats 60 miles door to door in 1 hour 10. If you travelled Carraroe - Oranmore at that time it would easlily take 1 hour 10...possibly even 1 hour 30 and is only 30 miles.

Advertisement