Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway - Limerick road

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭thefeatheredcat

OP,

from what I've seen from the bus 2 weeks ago, from Oranmore, you'll have to add some time for the road works in Gort as a start, although I've never seen it early morning/school run time. Going into Limerick the main road there is a bit of tailback at all times before you hit the new motorway connections as lanes were merged at a roundabout before or at the tesco coonacross. The roadway to get onto and across the bridge has always had a tailback...

I've seen signs for park and ride to thormound park itself either at shannon airport or limerick itself. Not sure if that is still running though.

maybe worth while a dry run in the car or by bus or checking out the train?

Thought I'd update on this a bit since travelled that way again...

The tailback into Limerick is before you hit Radison hotel, and I've seen it in the late afternoons (4/5pm) as far back as the 5km new green sign for the toll (I don't know the name of the area, but it has a white footbridge by a tavern)... a couple of roundabouts before Coonagh cross tesco.

But before you hit those roundabouts, I've noticed a new brown sign for a left turn to Thormound Park and LIT, so maybe this could save some time? As for the park and ride, think this probably was just for matches and Special Olympics.

Cheapest diesel I've noticed is the station in Gort, my dad recently changed to a diesel and has saved a lot.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's a ****ing hateful journey at the moment. I'm up and down on a regular basis and you need to budget 1h20m to 2h30m because of the sheer variance in traffic conditions.

This morning, I was stuck in a train all the way from Gort to Kilcolgan behind a truck travelling at 30mph (or less going uphill) because his load of gravel wasn't properly secured. Then there was the wazzocks in Clare reg Micras, the "45mph everywhere brigade", the French motorhome goons...

It takes a lot to wind me up on the road but this morning, I was a mushroom cloud laying mother****er, mother****er. If I had a shotgun, I'd have been waving it maniacally out the drivers side window.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭oxygenman

Robbo wrote: »
    It's a ****ing hateful journey at the moment. I'm up and down on a regular basis and you need to budget 1h20m to 2h30m because of the sheer variance in traffic conditions.

This morning, I was stuck in a train all the way from Gort to Kilcolgan behind a truck travelling at 30mph (or less going uphill) because his load of gravel wasn't properly secured. Then there was the wazzocks in Clare reg Micras, the "45mph everywhere brigade", the French motorhome goons...

It takes a lot to wind me up on the road but this morning, I was a mushroom cloud laying mother****er, mother****er. If I had a shotgun, I'd have been waving it maniacally out the drivers side window.

I'm with you there Robbo, many a time I done that road and geting caught behind a tractor or a horse drawn box and no way will they pull in, even when theres room for them, sheer ignorance on them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭darrenh

I do it once a week. The amount of vehicles that think they are the law on the road is unreal. So many drive between 50kph and 70kph and wont pull in when they have the chance. They have the attitude that they are untitled to "drive this slow so I dont have to pull in and let you go". Well, yes you dont have to pull in, BUT, your a f**king danger to others by driving that slow. Drivers that drive on the white line rather than the yellow line should be punished imo!

Some day you would love to pass them out, stop the car and get out and tell them how dangerous and infuriating their driving is. Trouble with that though is that I'd be up sh*t creek then! The amount of tail backs caused by one car, plodding along, is daft on that road. Can they not check their mirrors and see whats behind. Is this not dangerous driving too?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Have any of ye ever encountered the egg truck on the road between Gort and Crusheen?? 30kmph he drives at; and doesn't pull in; for anybody:mad:

Miserable baxtard has been responsible for me nearly missing flights a few times.

I often go from Gort to Crusheen via Tubber now at certain times; it's less stressful:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

darrenh wrote: »
    I do it once a week. The amount of vehicles that think they are the law on the road is unreal. So many drive between 50kph and 70kph and wont pull in when they have the chance. They have the attitude that they are untitled to "drive this slow so I dont have to pull in and let you go". Well, yes you dont have to pull in, BUT, your a f**king danger to others by driving that slow. Drivers that drive on the white line rather than the yellow line should be punished imo!

Some day you would love to pass them out, stop the car and get out and tell them how dangerous and infuriating their driving is. Trouble with that though is that I'd be up sh*t creek then! The amount of tail backs caused by one car, plodding along, is daft on that road. Can they not check their mirrors and see whats behind. Is this not dangerous driving too?!
    I totally agree with this. I really wish that travelling 20kph below the speed limit was punished with the same zeal as travelling 20kph over the speed limit is.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

I hear you Robbo, it can drive me soft as well, what is it with that road and driving at 45mph.

You forgot the: "I'm minding my horse crowd..... I know is only my hobby but I don't give a ****e about the 10miles tail back I'm creating, as long as I can Shergar get to the fair in a relaxed state". There a plenty of big laybys but will they pull in to ease the tailback... not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭galwayfellaBETA

oxygenman wrote: »
    I'm with you there Robbo, many a time I done that road and geting caught behind a tractor or a horse drawn box and no way will they pull in, even when theres room for them, sheer ignorance on them :mad:

+1000

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭molly09

Hi

Thanks so much forall your help and advice,

I have taken the job but will not be starting for another while.

I really hope I wont be too wrecked to have a life and have no monay left due to fuel costs!!!!

thanks a mil
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭the_galway_fry

is the gort bypass shelved?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭brainyneuron

is the gort bypass shelved?

Haha no, its nearly finished actually, due to open the end of this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sammie2011

Hi,

Like the Op, I'm also considering a job in Limerick but am keen to stay living in Galway. Anyone know what the commuting time is like now with the new road open. Would be working c9-5 in Limerick City. Thks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭niamhocxox

sammie2011 wrote: »
    Hi,

Like the Op, I'm also considering a job in Limerick but am keen to stay living in Galway. Anyone know what the commuting time is like now with the new road open. Would be working c9-5 in Limerick City. Thks.

You can do it in an hour now, I go to college in Galway but live in Limerick.

Probably would want to give yourself an hour and a half to be safe though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

sammie2011 wrote: »
    Hi,

The new road is brilliant. It's just brilliant. Did I mention it is brilliant???:p

But seriously, it's about an hour from Galway city centre to the other side of the tunnel in Limerick in the mornings now. It's great, you don't even notice the journey:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

The new road is brilliant. It's just brilliant. Did I mention it is brilliant???:p

But seriously, it's about an hour from Galway city centre to the other side of the tunnel in Limerick in the mornings now. It's great, you don't even notice the journey:cool:

...or you could take the direct train which takes twice the time :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

darrenh wrote: »

god i hate this road!!
    here is my rant about it!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056063735

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

hi i work in carlton castletroy park hotel i live on old dublin road its not too bad of a drive now , 25 min to gort and from gort roundabout to castletroy is 45 min so limerick about 40 min from gort. i use the new limerick tunnel , its really great miss all city centre traffic and it has loads of exits to get you all parts of the city hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sammie2011

Thks for the advice guys, think i might give it 1 or 2 practice runs to see what it's like.

Advertisement