Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband & Phoneline

• 11-07-2010 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi all, a bit of help needed if possible!

I have a Vodafone landline with fixed broadband. Currently everything is working fine. Broadband service is as expected.

About a year ago I was getting my attic converted and the installer put a phoneline in the attic under the floor boards (at the time for a second sky box).

Recently I have wanted to move all the broadband boxes and wires to the attic, so I attached a phone to the phone line and made some calls to ensure all was working ok (which it was), but when attaching the phone cable to my modem/wireless router I consistently get the no dsl light flashing.

Would anyone know if there is a problem with the cable, or whether a special cable is required, or what this issue might be.

Thanks in advance.

Bluefish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Gautama

Phone Vodafone and ask them if there is an outage. Just to draw a line thru' that possibility.
    Magnet have an outage at present. I've had no broadband for 3.5 days!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

Thanks Gautama - The main line continues to work fine so the issue is limited to the extended line (that is making phone calls fine - but no broadband).

Thats why I dont think its a Vodafone issue

Bluefish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is NO filter on attic line and you have forgotten to put ADSL/Phone filter/splitter?

OR

The attic line is connected via a master or micro filter's phone port to the main socket and thus has no DSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Bluefish

Thanks Watty - This is exactly the help I was looking for.

I have put a filter on the end before connecting to the router - and no joy.

With the line now being under floorboards I guess I am goosed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There must be a phone line filter at other end (near main socket). That would block DSL.

See if you can see the wire at the main socket (even open main phone socket). The bit under the floorboards is unlikely to have the filter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement