Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FIFA and their love of 'grass roots'

• 11-07-2010 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

If FIFA genuinely are all for preserving the grass roots of the game, then shouldn't they create an injunction preventing national associations from awarding the greatest amount of money to clubs who finish near the top of the overall league structure? A system more like the NFL's (American Football) would be better for the game, overall, whereby the clubs who perform the poorest get more help than the those who perform the best. Thus, in the long term, quality is shared 'equally' among all teams.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

In most football leagues, teams aren't franchises ultimately owned by the league. In the US, the league does this to keep all teams competitive so as to maximise profit. In football, we have relegation which aims to maintain a certain standard.

It always struck me as strange that the US system had an air of communist-totalitarianism to it, though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

It always struck me as strange that the US system had an air of communist-totalitarianism to it, though...

Yes strange in a country so fond of the free market how regulated the US sports are. However I dont beleive in any situation where there is no promotion and relegation. The US system would not work outside there.

FIFA would have have to power to decide how invididual leagues reward where clubs finish. These are decided by the relavent national associations.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

I don't think this could as well outside the US but there are other ideas FIFA could take from the american sports such as a world wide wage cap, and do it before wages get any more rediculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

I don't think this could as well outside the US but there are other ideas FIFA could take from the american sports such as a world wide wage cap, and do it before wages get any more rediculous.

I think the LOI rule that a max 65% of your turnover can be spent on wages is a good one and should be implemented by other associations however in Ireland the rule is abused and a number of teams cheat theit way around the rule by giving players other fake jobs but in other leagues it should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Jules.Winnfield

I think the LOI rule that a max 65% of your turnover can be spent on wages is a good one and should be implemented by other associations however in Ireland the rule is abused and a number of teams cheat theit way around the rule by giving players other fake jobs but in other leagues it should work.

That sounds like a good idea, but like you said, if LOI clubs can find a way around it than so can many others. Plus if the PL was implament wage control 2moro, all of the best players would be on the next plane to Italy, Spain and Germany and vice versa. If any control is to be had, then it needs to be FIFA to implement it, not individual FA's or leagues

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Thank you for the responses. I didn't even watch the final as I'm too fed-up by football these days, but not for the sport itself.

Kevin

Advertisement