Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is day one?

Options
  • 11-07-2010 10:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

You all seem so well versed in ovulation around here, I'm hoping someone can help me on this one.

I had a m/c last january - didn't lose the baby naturally, had a d&c after no heartbeat. I'm fine now.
    So myself and my hubby have decided to try again. But since m&c, my period has been very odd. I had a d&c in my 20s and had very light periods for about a year after.
    This time however, Im getting a very light bleed for about 5 days (but it's constant) and then a normal period for about another 6 days, with 2/3 days being really heavy. The 'normal' period is exactly like the ones I used to have, before the d&c.

So I'm confused about when I'm ovulating. As i'm getting 10/11 day periods these days, do I count the first day of any bleed as day one? Or do I count day one as the first day of the more normal bleed (which could be 5/6 days after the very light bleed).

My cycle is still the same (35 days) and I was really hoping to conceive soon...I will go and get the fertility tests etc and perhaps pay a visit to my gp, but just wondering if any of you had similar circumstances after a d&c?
    Hope I made some sense there, and thanks for reading.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I would count the first day of bleeding as day 1 and just to be on the safe side, go see your GP and get checked out :)

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

My fertility clinic said day 1 is the first day you need more than one tampon/ sanitory towel for red (as opposed to brown) blood a day, so I would say it depends on how much blood is in your light bleeds.

Keep in mind that not everyone ovulates 14 days aftere the beginning of the period! If you want to know when/ if you ovulate, get a basal body thermometer; you can get these in the chemist. Take your temp every morning before you get out of bed. It will rise markedly and stay higher the day after you ovulate, until your body gets ready to have its period. A few months of this should give you a good pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭bubbaloo

I've been exactly the same as this for years. For me, the first few days of a light bleed are just spotting and the first day of my period is much heavier with cramps etc. This is what I count as Day 1.
    I agree with comment above though - if you have any confusion, consult your doctor. Not everyone ovulates on day 14. Believe me, after years of m/cs and ttc I have a little boy who was conceived on day 11 !
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for that...but the light bleed is more than just spotting. It's a constant (very light) flow...but the cramps don't arrive until about day 5. Ok, so I'll count that as day one...thanks again

Advertisement