Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Notice period?

Options
  • 11-07-2010 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

How much notice do you have to give to your employer after 5 years of service?

My contract says a week and i work in a company where its all about them. I have known people who gave them a couple weeks notice and they were gone by the end of the week. I need the money, so can't afford to be giving them 4 weeks notice if they want me out at the end of next week.

I have always thought that after 5 years i would have to give 4 weeks but my contract says a week, so can they do anything to me if i give them a week's notice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's all about what's in your contract. If one week is your notice period then that is what you give. You can give mire if you want but they might still have you out in a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

The company would be obliged to give you 4 weeks notice, but it looks like they are only entitled to one week's notice.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1973/en/act/pub/0004/sec0006.html#zza4y1973s6

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

It really depends on whether you want to leave there on good terms. Personally if I was working for a company for 5 years I would give them a months notice. Have you another position lined up where you need to be available straight away?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Keep in mind that even if they would turn around and say you need to walk the moment you hand in your notice you're still owed the full four weeks salary as per above. The only way around that would be gross neglience which would entail HR meetings etc.

Advertisement