Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

For those protesting scientology, some good news...

• 11-07-2010 11:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭

It seem that all the protesting and publicity by many groups and individuals, is having an effect.

Australia is re-assessing it's tax laws and is coming to the conclusion that only if a so called "religious group" is actually serving the public, they are entitled to apply for tax free status.
    ...In other words the cult of Scientology is possibly about to lose theirs.

See this (badly written) article for details: http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/time-is-running-out-for-the-church-of-scientology/

It brings up an interesting point - and I am NOT using this as an excuse to bash catholic faiths or Rome - but how many other so called religions do actually serve the public in general?

I know that the Org in Rome filtering down to local level here does so in many ways and fair play to them for that.
    What others though, don't actually serve the public - and if not, should they have their tax-free status under review?

Comments

I thought it was gonna be breaking news that Tom Cruise is dead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

Biggins wrote: »
    It seem that all the protesting and publicity in the states by many groups and individuals, is having an effect.

America is re-assessing it's tax laws and is coming to the conclusion that only if a so called "religious group" is actually serving the public, they are entitled to apply for tax free status.
    ...In other words the cult of Scientology is possibly about to lose theirs.

See this (badly written) article for details: http://www.thepunch.com.au/articles/time-is-running-out-for-the-church-of-scientology/

It brings up an interesting point - and I am NOT using this as an excuse to bash catholic faiths or Rome - but how many other so called religions do actually serve the public in general?

I know that the Org in Rome filtering down to local level here does so in many ways and fair play to them for that.
    What others though, don't actually serve the public - and if not, should they have their tax-free status under review?

Didn't they send a crew to Haiti to help out the earthquake victims there?

I presume they do more stuff like that in the States.

If they don't already I'd say they will be soon.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Abrasax wrote: »
    Yes, they got out their massage tables and then their books and e-meters!
    See: http://gawker.com/5462117/scientologists-in-haiti-a-firsthand-account
    And
    http://www.openureyes.org.nz/blog/?q=node/1185

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

Yes, they got out their massage tables and then their books and e-meters!
    See: http://gawker.com/5462117/scientologists-in-haiti-a-firsthand-account
    And
    http://www.openureyes.org.nz/blog/?q=node/1185

Well, it gives the appearance of helping the public.

How is that going to be defined, 'helping the public', in the tax law?

Well, it gives the appearance of helping the public.

How is that going to be defined, 'helping the public', in the tax law?
    Yes and the Scientology Org is very good at doing and organising "appearances". Their huge PR machine is renown for its effectiveness.

How will the tax laws be defined? Good question.
    This article might provide you with some answer to that specific tax law question: http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/opinion/a-tax-free-life-is-the-holy-grail-but-churches-might-have-to-prove-theyre-acting-for-our-benefit/story-e6frere6-1225886748805

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Simple, they claim to have a monopoly on a super natural being that grants them everlasting life. All you have to do is pay them and tell a group of old men who have supposedly never orgasmed in their lives all your dirty little deeds. That way you get into heaven.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

it could be called bollocksology

orourkeda wrote: »
    it could be called bollocksology
    Its usually called daylightrobology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I thought it was gonna be breaking news that Tom Cruise is dead :(

Ah now, that's no way to treat a man that brought us Top Gun and Elisabeth Shue's tits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

I don't know if forcibly and physically stopping proper medical personnel from getting to those who needed it, helping. :mad:
    These efforts involved little more than handing out pamphlets for the works of L. Ron Hubbard, while intentionally hindering the work of mental health professionals aiding the victims.

http://gawker.com/5464902/anonymous-pledge-to-fight-scientologist-efforts-in-haiti

• Advertisement

dlofnep wrote: »
    Ah now, that's no way to treat a man that brought us Top Gun and Elisabeth Shue's tits.
    Well if Tom cruise starts singing "Take my breath away" some day from the film, I'm only too willing to step up and fulfil his request!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭themadhair

America is re-assessing it's tax laws and is coming to the conclusion that only if a so called "religious group" is actually serving the public, they are entitled to apply for tax free status.
    It is Australia, not America. We actually gathered a petition in Dublin & Belfast a while back to support the Senator who authored that article.

A quick introduction to the tax review is here:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e75TZlDLZrE

Video is worth watching to see Mike Ferris, OSA New Zealand, making a complete arse of himself in front of the senate hearing.

If someone has a truckload of time on their hands the entirety of the two-day senate hearings are here:
    http://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/2010/06/28/submissions-made-to-the-australian-senate-–-day-1/
    http://dialogueireland.wordpress.com/2010/06/29/submissions-made-to-the-australian-senate-–-day-2/

Or, if you are interested but have the liability of having a life, you can ask questions and I’ll try to answer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Like it or not the RCC has a big role in Irish education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Whynop

It would be funny to see all the non baptised getting a bill for €1,000 on the way out of A&E. That would make 'em take their Sunday mornings seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Old cults good.
    New cults bbbbadddddd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Overheal wrote: »

Yes they do. The "have your children sworn into our cult or we will do our best to force them to have to attend a school miles away from where they live" role, isn't it? Aren't they swell.

strobe wrote: »
    Yes they do. The "have your children sworn into our cult or we will do our best to force them to have to attend a school miles away from where they live" role, isn't it? Aren't they swell.

You could always send your child somewhere else if it bothers you so much.

Whynop wrote: »
    You could always send your child somewhere else if it bothers you so much.

Or I could send them to the school nearest to their home. As I intend to do. And I will laugh my ass off if the RCC try to prevent that under any pretense for their predjudice. The Irish public paid for, built, staffed and maintain the schools. They are there for the Irish public. As soon as the Vatican cash in a few of their paintings and jewels and gold to pay the cost of running the schools and the cost of the teachers wages they can make decisions on how the schools are run and who can use them. Untill then they can go fukk themselves, if they can drag themselves away from the little kiddies for long enough.

Or I could send them to the school nearest to their home. As I intend to do. And I will laugh my ass off if the RCC try to prevent that under any pretense for their predjudice. The Irish public paid for, built, staffed and maintain the schools. They are there for the Irish public. As soon as the Vatican cash in a few of their paintings and jewels and gold they can make decisions on how the schools are run. Untill then they can go fukk themselves if they can drag themselves away for the little kiddies for long enough.

Responsible parents make many decisions in their lives, including paying top dollar to live beside the best schools. Lucan isn't that expensive: plenty of educate together schools out that way.

If you're going to be deliberately confrontational with school management over something that you have no control over, perhaps you need to -- in the interests of your children -- direct your energies elsewhere.

p.s. one wonders why someone with such a prejudiced opinion would entrust their child to the care of Catholic school. Perhaps because no other organisation in the country has the same level of safeguards for child protection?

Responsible parents make many decisions in their lives, including paying top dollar to live beside the best schools. Lucan isn't that expensive: plenty of educate together schools out that way.

If you're going to be deliberately confrontational with school management over something that you have no control over, perhaps you need to -- in the interests of your children -- direct your energies elsewhere.

I do have control over it. That is what I'm exercising.

• Advertisement

I do have control over it. That is what I'm exercising.

You have no control over the running of a private organisation. Also, what exactly are you exercising?

You have no control over the running of a private organisation. Also, what exactly are you exercising?

My control over the situation....obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

It would be funny to see all the non baptised getting a bill for €1,000 on the way out of A&E. That would make 'em take their Sunday mornings seriously.

What in the fcuk???

My control over the situation....obviously.

You're entitled to educate your child as you see fit. As are Catholics, Protestants, Muslims, Jews, atheists, secularists, etc.

Catholics have been putting their hands in their pockets for decades now. I don't see why the new age of atheists and secularists shouldn't fund their ideology. It's good for society at large and good for Catholic schools too. I fear you could be waiting a long time though for the government to dip in and rescue you from your ideological island. There is progress though, slow as it is. I have no doubt that secular and atheist organisations will come together to accelerate this process.

What in the fcuk???

Don't feed it man. He re-regs every few weeks in flurries of accounts and spouts the same crap untill they get banned one at a time. I shouldn't have responded myself.

Overheal wrote: »
    Very true and I would never say any different.
    I respect the days when they genuinely did then (as now too in some areas) some good.

Edit: corrected the country also.
    The USA is currently also looking ats its tax laws I heard in relation to this cult.
    ...And the cult Scientology Org is watching very carefully, reading its lobby groups and individuals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

I'm thinking of starting my own religon, for the money of course.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

galwayrush wrote: »
    I'm thinking of starting my own religon, for the money of course.:P

You wouldn't be the first. And I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be the last either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Much and all as I hate Scientology, this ruling is wrong. Either all religions are eligible, or none are

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,009 ✭✭✭conorhal

28064212 wrote: »
    Much and all as I hate Scientology, this ruling is wrong. Either all religions are eligible, or none are

There is no compulsory membership fee you re a Catholic, or a Buddhist or a Jew. Scientology does not do anything for free, with the exception of a cod ‘personality test’ after which they will offer you a chance to give them all your money but taking expensive course after expensive course. It’s a profit making business, plain and simple

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

conorhal wrote: »
    There is no compulsory membership fee you re a Catholic, or a Buddhist or a Jew. Scientology does not do anything for free, with the exception of a cod ‘personality test’ after which they will offer you a chance to give them all your money but taking expensive course after expensive course. It’s a profit making business, plain and simple

Aye, except a dirty look from some of the aul' ones if I pass the collection basket on and put nothing in it. ;_;

conorhal wrote: »
    So draw the line where exactly? What if Scientology was all voluntary donations, but that you couldn't go past a certain level without a donation of a certain amount? Is that sufficient? The only way to differentiate between the religions is to decide that one is somehow 'more right' than another, which is inherently ridiculous. It has to be either all of them or none of them

Oh, and in Germany, there is a compulsory membership fee for Christians, Jews and other religions

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

I don't see why the new age of atheists and secularists shouldn't fund their ideology.

It's not an ideology. It's common sense.

28064212 wrote: »

Oh, and in Germany, there is a compulsory membership fee for Christians, Jews and other religions

You can opt out of that

You can opt out of that
    By opting out of the religion, which is what I meant by compulsory membership fee i.e., you have to pay it if you're a member

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Wouldn't members of the public who are also scientologists consider it to be serving them?

Elsewise I don't imagine they would be apart of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Brien

You can opt out of that

You have to pay a percentage of your wages at the end of the year in austria, or no weddings, baptisms, or funerals for you. They are kind enough to let the unemployed away with it though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Brien wrote: »
    You have to pay a percentage of your wages at the end of the year in austria, or no weddings, baptisms, or funerals for you. They are kind enough to let the unemployed away with it though
    as well as in switzerland. you pay so much to your religion via your wage. an atheist gets out of it but no church for you, mr dawkins :P

is anyone else thinking of that south park episode, where they take the piss out of Scientology? :D class episode

Advertisement