Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Statistics from the bvd youtube channel...

Options
  • 11-07-2010 12:35pm
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Recently the brianvondoom youtube channel hit 15,000 views.

I said when it hit 10,000 I'd post up some stats as people were asking and to be honest the channel belongs to everyone here more than I, as it's been pretty exclusively a channel for Irish fighting games for a while. It's not like the bvd channel is huge but it does get about 50 hits a day every day at this point so everyone here are stars of our own little channel at this point!

So I am going to do my best to post up some interesting stats.

Firstly: 15,600 views since Oct 30 2009

290 videos

That's 53.8 views per video

Here's the top ten in reverse order:

It appears everyone loves watching farz getting beaten. 1% of total views.

This is from the first event we ever recorded, I was happy to try it out in a messing around situation as if I recall there was an inferno shortly after.

Poor old Kirby getting killed to death by cog. 1.2% of total views.

This was a weird inferno, I recall loads of big hitters got knocked out in groups, and I personally had a couple of upsets :)

Blag and newtype, final of DSRB 3.3. 1.3% of total views.

This was my first dragonslayers and also the first tournament I figured out how to get a bit more quality out of mpeg streamclip/ youtube's uploading rules. This the mock full widescreen HD appearance. It's a good trick and I'll tell anyone who wants to know how to do it.

Cog and Newtype (yeah there's alot of them) this time at inferno 6. 1.4% of views.

I remember warring with the doom cam to stop bouncing, it's not a problem anymore :) This one's got a few views on neo empire.

The Hound vs Cog, Final of inferno 8. 1.6% of total views.

Interesting that the final match from vanilla to be played competetively in the Rep of Ireland is in the top ten. This one got some hits off SRK.

Blag v Cog, Final of the most recent inferno. 1.7%.

The fact that the most recent final is in the top ten shows how much quicker we're getting views these days. This one has had views from SRK, neo empire, edge forums, euro gamer and capcom unity. I assume people are linking them to the channel and good games to them :) people are clicking on those links and watching.

Inferno 7 final- Bush v Cog.

Yes, there is ALOT of Cog. There's a couple interesting hits on this one off youtube search...

cobelcog 25 35.7
    cobelcog cammy 2 2.9
    cobbelcog cammy 1 1.4
    chu chu bush 1 1.4
    streetfighter 4 cobelcog 1 1.4
    chun-li bush 1 1.4

OOoooooh look at me I'm Irish Cammy.

This was during my experimental phase with effects :) 1.8%.

Something completely different, my world games cup vlog. 2.0% of hits. Popular in France :) Shot entirely on my phone. I still have some daigo footage I should throw up sometime.

Bush v Ken b. A group stages match in at number 2 :) 2.1% of views. Nearly 150 of those views off SRK so I assume someone posted it there! Interestingly, this is the first one I can see which has someone delibrately searching for "inferno street fighter" videos.

So... there's LOADS of great matches there, pretty much all worth watching, if at least just to see how much the Irish fighting game community has evolved, and to see people like Hound explode on the scene.

So what could possibly be the no 1 most viewed video?

With 3% of total views, its, er, one of my turtle fests with dreddy...

The only reason it's this popular is because it was at the heart of a very minor flame war over the "fecking greeks" incident. Aw, happy memories. :)

Anyway I hope you enjoyed this and it brought back some nice memories. I'm going to make another post shortly about some interesting statistics on who's watching where and when. The channel seems to be getting more popular as of late and it's probably because we're all getting better and more interesting to watch, or perhaps simply because there is more of us, or perhaps because I am making less videos at each tournament so people are focusing more on the big matches.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cobelcog

OOoooooh look at me I'm Irish Cammy.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

stats.jpg

All the big spikes coincide with a final video being uploaded.

Interesting over the last couple of weeks when I haven't uploaded anything big we seem to be getting twice as many hits as quiet periods before/

Also: 4% female?

Really?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

that 4% is just me. LAWLS
    why did that terrible match of mine get 1% of views :(
    i've gotten better, i swear

good stats doom
    perhaps if you had the CHARACTER names in description and heading, it would return better search results.

i.e farz [chun] vs sisko [ryu], inferno, ireland.
    instead of farzsisko

Placebo wrote: »
    that 4% is just me. LAWLS
    why did that terrible match of mine get 1% of views :(
    i've gotten better, i swear

good stats doom
    perhaps if you had the CHARACTER names in description and heading, it would return better search results.

i.e farz [chun] vs sisko [ryu], inferno, ireland.
    instead of farzsisko

They're only ones I haven't gotten round to renaming farz, I usually tag and name the vids correctly.

In fact I have found the absolute best two things you can put in your video's title/ tags are:

Super street Fighter 4

and

Daigo

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

sorry didnt notice, totally forgot about tags as well. my bad.

good times, how bad was everyone few months back, jeez

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DtqqPn3Hk#t=3m26s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

Placebo wrote: »
    good times, how bad was everyone few months back, jeez

Nah, i think thats just you ;)

Great stuff doom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

SRK, neo empire, edge forums, euro gamer and capcom unity

hello.

hello.

Thanks dude. :)

Stats from my channel.

Videos Uploaded: 18
    Video Views: 5,723,312
    Favourites: 117
    Channel Views: 18,483
    Subscribers: 244

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Pssh I could upload a pic of cleavage and kick ths shizz out of those stats kneecaps , tis only impressive if they're your own vids :p

• Advertisement

Sisko wrote: »
    Pssh I could upload a pic of cleavage and kick ths shizz out of those stats kneecaps , tis only impressive if they're your own vids :p

Yeah, i uploaded a video of jim carrey and it has almost 8 million hits! They keep inviting me to apply for revenue partnership on it but it'll be ripped down by copyright holders as soon as i do

With the usb things people are buying, does that mean we could record group stages etc from infernos? (provided a spare laptop is around)

With the usb things people are buying, does that mean we could record group stages etc from infernos? (provided a spare laptop is around)

only if we have some sort of video splitter, otherwise it would be laggy. I've ordered one and its on the way soon

Alternatively we could play group stages online in xgc (from one xtreme account to another xtreme account) and save the replays. Obviously we would never do this, its such a pity you can't record 1v1 matches offline

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

animaX wrote: »
    only if we have some sort of video splitter, otherwise it would be laggy. I've ordered one and its on the way soon

Alternatively we could play group stages online in xgc (from one xtreme account to another xtreme account) and save the replays. Obviously we would never do this, its such a pity you can't record 1v1 matches offline

We also have to take into account the fact that if there is too many videos then people won't watch them.

We could have one dedicated recording console and group admins could select one or two matches to have recorded.

Sisko wrote: »

Yarp that's why I started the thread, it's all stuff that alot of the people who post here created together. I think that's something kinda cool and it's also a record of how much we've changed since last october (believe me it's HUGE).

Sadly not unless Terry's splitter thing works, those USB devices cause considerable lag and SSF4 stupidly does not allow for recording of local matches.

Orim wrote: »
    We also have to take into account the fact that if there is too many videos then people won't watch them.

We could have one dedicated recording console and group admins could select one or two matches to have recorded.

Practically I think it's best that we keep the current system of picking the best looking group and plonking them by the doomcam. Purely for time issues.

If other people brought their cams we could record multiple groups (hint hint).

Orim wrote: »

Yeah, good point. I was thinking of a setup where every console at a competition would be hooked up to a dvd recorder (like i did in my test version) and if people wanted to record their own matches at group stage they would bring in their own blank re-writable dvd, stick it in the machine and press record. When their match is over, they stop recording and take out the disk. They can continue to do this for all of their matches (on the same disk). Then its up to them to do what they want with the footage (edit, upload etc). This would also save doom and sisko a bit of work.

However, the setup is pretty unfeasable. We would need a few dvd recorders and a few splitters. Would be a nice bonus though for people who don't get to the knockout stages but would like to record matches from the big occasion. This is probably the wrong thread for this post anyway!

That would have to be dvd ram yeah?

also shame about the lag thing.

No, i don't think so? At least not with the dvd recorder i have

also shame about the lag thing.

It is.

Next time I upgrade it'll be to some kind of PVR solution, which will not only increase the quality (Hauppage records in HD!) but also mean quicker uploading (at the moment every single video requires about 10 minutes of editing on my part).

I'd really like an all in one solution which doesn't record to a hard drive, I could put some money away but to be honest it's simply too expensive to bring somewhere like XGC. If Area 2345634685 works out I will reconsider getting one.

• Advertisement

Here's an example of how correctly labelling/ tagging your vids is important.

Check out the search terms the TvC vid has been found under:

dr.doom vs
    marvel vs capcom 2
    final capcom vs tatsunoku
    super street fighter iv
    tvc tournament
    street fighter
    marvel vs capcom dr.doom
    tatsunoku vs capcom

Final bit of stats I wanted to throw up.

The Regions are in order of popularity.

USA: 1,206 views
    California, New York and Texas make up the most views.

ASIA :422 views
    Japan, India, and Burma(?!) Japan mostly though.

Africa: 7 views
    Senegal, Egypt, Cameroon, Kenya.

Europe: 14,471
    Ireland, GB, Germany, France.

Middle East: 55
    Turkey, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Israel

South America: 142
    Brazil, Argentina, Colombia

Canada: 159

Would people like me to update this thread?

The channel is just about to hit 60,000 views, and alots changed, If people are interested it might be fun to compare now to then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

Would people like me to update this thread?

The channel is just about to hit 60,000 views, and alots changed, If people are interested it might be fun to compare now to then.

Go

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

chun-li bush
    Just gonna quote this and leave it out there.

What a tease.

What a tease.

Was going to do it over the weekend but stuff came up, will do when I get the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Chris IWS

RopeDrink wrote: »
    I will tell you that viewers love YouTube Poops, Hatemail Videos, Combo Videos, RageQuits, Double KO's and anything that actually goes against your common everyday standard "Match" with exception being tournament matches because naturally every Joe Soap will want to see Tourny play aka high level play
    Tying in with this, my most popular vid, by a large margin:

I'm quite proud of it, actually. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

"I assume he's talking directly to Balrog here..."
    Quality XD

• Advertisement

Here we go!

Total views:

70,277 out of 827 videos.

That's 85 views per video... way up on the last time I did this.

94% Male, 6% female views.

28,602 - RoI
    14,129 - USA
    11,844 - UK
    4,192 - Asia
    1,666 - South America
    370 - Middle East
    75 - Africa

The first 10,000 views took 5 months.
    The second took 3.
    The third took 3.
    The fourth took 2.
    The fifth took 1.
    The sixth took 1.5.
    Seventh took 1.

Averaging about 200 views a day at the moment.

Biggest day was 1,200 views.

Advertisement