Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Races 'claiming' to be Ireland's first XXX Race

• 11-07-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭

In the last few months we've seen several races claiming to be "Ireland's First (Whatever) Race" - Belfast 24h and Kilkenny Kilomarathon to name just two.

Lads, just because there hasn't been one run in recent years doesn't mean you can claim to be Ireland's first.

A 100 Mile and 24 hour race used to be organised, in Tullamore, until the mid 1980's, so Belfast's claim to be the first is not valid.

Kilkenny claim to be Ireland's first Kilomarathon - Mallow AC ran a 'Metric Marathon' (26.22k), again until the mid-1980's, so the Cat's claim is out also.

....and before somebody starts another 'ultra first'...Cork to Dublin....that's been done too!

Before anyone else claims to be "Ireland's first (whatever)", please do a little research and *ASK* first! ......there's history/records available...if you just look for it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

There's no Kilkenny kilomarathon. But there is one in Kildare. You're not from cork by any chance are you? :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Condo131 wrote: »
    In the last few months we've seen several races claiming to be "Ireland's First (Whatever) Race" - Belfast 24h and Kilkenny Kilomarathon to name just two.

Lads, just because there hasn't been one run in recent years doesn't mean you can claim to be Ireland's first.

A 100 Mile and 24 hour race used to be organised, in Tullamore, until the mid 1980's, so Belfast's claim to be the first is not valid.

Kilkenny claim to be Ireland's first Kilomarathon - Mallow AC ran a 'Metric Marathon' (26.22k), again until the mid-1980's, so the Cat's claim is out also.

....and before somebody starts another 'ultra first'...Cork to Dublin....that's been done too!

Before anyone else claims to be "Ireland's first (whatever)", please do a little research and *ASK* first! ......there's history/records available...if you just look for it!
    Us cats dont hate ye anymore and the reason is we dont play ye anymore(cos ye aint in finals)

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

i prob shouldn't be defending kilkenny (being a wex man:D) but i think that race is taking place in killarney, not kilkenny..........

apart from that though, Condo makes a very valid point, as before results were all on the net, no one seemed to have much access to results etc, ie the races took place but didn't really go down on record, so could easily have been a donegal to cork race etc:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Us cats dont hate ye anymore and the reason is we dont play ye anymore(cos ye aint in finals)
    Wrong forum!! Try this one! .....btw..."Every dog has it's day!"...so Cats better watch out!
    asimonov wrote: »
    There's no Kilkenny kilomarathon. But there is one in Kildare.
    I saw it was in Moone:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Never realised there were so many Moone's about!!
    asimonov wrote: »
    You're not from cork by any chance are you? :-)
    Of course!! It's the centre of the universe! :D:D:D Up De Rebels!:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

Good stuff Condo. Couldn't agree more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Races 'claiming' to be Ireland's first XXX Race

I thought this was going to be about Ireland's first p0rn related race. I'm a bit disappointed. I had my 50 euro or whatever the entry fee was going to be ready to hand!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

it's a pity they put the work bike into that headline :D I know I'm so immature !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭geld

griffin100 wrote: »

Will RacePix365 be there????:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Enduro wrote: »
    Good stuff Condo. Couldn't agree more.

And don't forget to search for makey-up NGBs-wannabes to see if they will throw their toys out of the pram too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Deep breath, open mouth, now insert chill pill. having a rant on an internet forum wont change the world.

I saw it was in Moone:rolleyes::rolleyes:. Never realised there were so many Moone's about!!

Seems you should also pay more attention to detail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

kennyb3 wrote: »
    Deep breath, open mouth, now insert chill pill. having a rant on an internet forum wont change the world.

:confused::confused::confused: I presume that you are/were referring to yourself?? Rant?? What rant? I certainly wasn't ranting...merely pointing out that a number of events have made erroneous claims as to being the first of their kind in Ireland. Can you suggest another way I might have done so on this forum??
    kennyb3 wrote: »
    Seems you should also pay more attention to detail
    You're a bit late on that one....already acknowledged, several days ago, my failure to check that I had the right Moone......Next time I'll check with NASA :rolleyes:.

After all that.....what was it exactly that you wanted to add to the discussion on the original topic??:confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RodSteel

:confused::confused::confused: I presume that you are/were referring to yourself?? Rant?? What rant? I certainly wasn't ranting...merely pointing out that a number of events have made erroneous claims as to being the first of their kind in Ireland. Can you suggest another way I might have done so on this forum??

You're a bit late on that one....already acknowledged, several days ago, my failure to check that I had the right Moone......Next time I'll check with NASA :rolleyes:.

After all that.....what was it exactly that you wanted to add to the discussion on the original topic??:confused::confused::confused:

<Snip>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Rineanna

Let's all settle down and go back on topic if possible.

Advertisement